Bass struggling at minicamp (and now at training camp)

56 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Started the year 9/9.

Then he missed 2 FG (a 52 and 53 yarder) against the Giants in week 6 which very nearly cost us the game. 

McD lost faith in him after that and chose to punt instead of attempt 50+ yard FGs multiple times.

After the 9/9 start Bass went 15/20 in the regular season and a mind boggling 2/5 in the playoffs. 

I think he would've already been released by now if it weren't for the ridiculous contract Beane gave him. 

Of the 3 playoff misses - 1 was low trajectory and blocked, and i think he slipped on the short one against pittsburgh in the playoffs.  One against the Eagles was also blocked.  

I'm hoping he's trying new stuff to avoid blocks.  He likes to kick them high and push from the one has through, but that is harder to do in wind conditions late in the year.  Last year his harder kicked balls were low trajectory block targets, so that's not going to work either - but i don't think the team has given up on him, nor do i think he's unable to improve at it.  

His miss in KC wasn't a chip shot, but it was that bad hash again where he doesn't seem as comfortable.  I don't mind a player having a preferred spot, but that needs to get cleaned up, and he needs to have multiple kick types for locations and conditions.  

I know Bass was signed to a big contract recently, but we just can’t go into this season with him kicking like he did the end of last year.  The Bills would be extremely foolish not to bring someone to trading camp to compete with him.

13 minutes ago, mannc said:

I know Bass was signed to a big contract recently, but we just can’t go into this season with him kicking like he did the end of last year.  The Bills would be extremely foolish not to bring someone to trading camp to compete with him.

I feel like that was done on purpose. 

8 hours ago, Einstein said:

That was always my imprssion as well. I never saw him as elite.

No one really noticed because even average is pretty good these days., not like in 1990 when Norwood was 69% in the regular season (sorry, too soon?).

Also, until last season, the Bills were usually winning by so much, missing a field goal here and there really didn't matter.

9 hours ago, Gregg said:

Throw in the fact that kicking in Orchard Park is harder than most other places especially late in the year.

7 hours ago, FireChans said:

Is this a fact?

I know we say it a lot. But I’m sure there’s a stat that kicking average decreases in Buffalo by X if it’s true.

It’s not a fact at all.  Kicks in Orchard Park have the 9th highest make percentage in the league since 2012.  (Yes, that’s an arbitrary date, but it’s what the page defaulted to when I Googled it.)

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/rank-all-nfl-stadiums-by-field-goal-percentage-from-highest-to-lowest-since-2012

Field goals shouldn't matter to this team. but he was out kicked last year in the playoff loss to KC by another non NY kicker.  

Which cost us that game, probably...  He just needs to go.  I would rather have a college kicker this year.

• Agree 1

I know some awful people went at Bass after the KC miss, but if we’re being honest…

If we had any faith in our defense that game (or ever in the playoffs), he’d be viewed in a much harsher lens. 

That miss was unacceptable and even worse was we all knew he was going to miss it.  

Tie game and who knows.  Probably a 1% chance we force another turnover or stop them, but we’ll never know … and we all knew that we’d never know the second our highly paid kicker walked out there to kick a normal FG for any NFL kicker. 

He gets a subconscious pass from a lot of us because we all knew his FG didn’t matter. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

8 hours ago, Slippery Rubber Mats said:

Yip Trundleberry, where the term "yips" began. World class in darts, 1930's or so. Couldn't come close to the board, hit several bystanders in big tournaments. Dies of a massive stroke brought on from all the drugs he turned to. Hopefully Bass gets it together before he suffers the same fate.

Yip Trundlebarry.

4 hours ago, Billl said:

It’s not a fact at all.  Kicks in Orchard Park have the 9th highest make percentage in the league since 2012.  (Yes, that’s an arbitrary date, but it’s what the page defaulted to when I Googled it.)

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/rank-all-nfl-stadiums-by-field-goal-percentage-from-highest-to-lowest-since-2012

wow, I would not have thought that at all.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Billl said:

And opposition kickers actually made 95% of kicks in Orchard Park, and all of them from 55-65 yards.

2 hours ago, RiotAct said:

wow, I would not have thought that at all.

I'd like to see an advanced breakdown on the swirling endzone side... And the non swirling side 

So one end zone is a lot more difficult than the other because of the one entrance... which creates swirling winds on one side... I'm sure the percentage going into the windy side is worse

That's what makes it tougher kicking in it as your home stadium.. you're going to be forced to kick into the swirling wind side a good amount over 8 games

Teams will trot out kickers from 55 on the good side.. they won't trot them out from 55 on the windy side usually 

Edited by Buffalo716

On 6/12/2024 at 7:27 PM, WotAGuy said:

Dude went from Bass-o-matic to Bastard in one season. 

He's not going to be any better this season.  Once you get the yips and lose your mental edge in your specialty, it rarely returns.  The mistake we made was prematurely extending his contract. Can we just once let a player's first contract play out first.  He's going to break our hearts again.   Count on it....

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1