Bass struggling at minicamp (and now at training camp)

Time to move on from Bass. We have to have a reliable pk if we want to compete. The problem the Bills have at this point is finding someone. For what we are paying him it’s a joke he’s not a stud kicker.

Last season later in year, you saw Bass lost confidence just by looking at body posture and facial expressions.

Bass has the Yips.  I’m not aware of any success stories once a player suffered from Yips in any sport 

Edited by Pete

58 minutes ago, brianthomas said:

Since Bass's issues appear largely psychological, i imagine Beane didn't bring in any competition so as to not make Bass more of a headcase about his status with the team. Sort of like a GM with a QB who doesn't bring in any QB to compete with them.

I dont agree with it, as these players are supposed to be professionals & used to competition their whole life. Beane's comments on having guys push others runs counter to this with Bass. There's just no reason not to bring someone in, unless you're 100% confident Bass can regain it, which you should never be.

Cutting Bass saves us $100k on the season. Factoring in signing a new kicker, I doubt he's going anywhere this season unless he's horrific in TC.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bobobonators said:

Kickers are complete head cases for the most part. 

Kickers lose confidence so quickly. It’s so frequent that once a kicker has a bad stretch that’s it they are done. Maybe they can regain confidence on a new team but it’s almost impossible one has as bad a stretch as Bass had in the end of the regular season and Playoffs and bounces back on the same team.

14 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Never understood that nickname tbh

He's never been in the top10 of fg%

Bass is an objectively mediocre placekicker

Not really. He's money when it comes to Extra Points.

Which makes things even more strange.

I wasn’t prepared to totally write him off after the struggles began last year, I was willing to see if he could bounce back this year.  But to see the struggles showing up again this early makes me concerned.  I mean he’s a kicker, there is no long ramp up to get to midseason form, he shouldn’t still have the shanks.  The good news is that it’s easy to replace a kicker on short notice, not like they have to his complex playbook to learn.  

So I would bet money that if he’s still missing kicks in preseason that we will have someone else brought in to push for his job before week 1 gets here.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Last season later in year, you saw Bass lost confidence just by looking at body posture and facial expressions.

Bass has the Yips.  I’m not aware of any success stories once a player suffered from Yips in any sport 

Yip Trundleberry, where the term "yips" began. World class in darts, 1930's or so. Couldn't come close to the board, hit several bystanders in big tournaments. Dies of a massive stroke brought on from all the drugs he turned to. Hopefully Bass gets it together before he suffers the same fate.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

Kickers lose confidence so quickly. It’s so frequent that once a kicker has a bad stretch that’s it they are done. Maybe they can regain confidence on a new team but it’s almost impossible one has as bad a stretch as Bass had in the end of the regular season and Playoffs and bounces back on the same team.

For the most part, I agree with this.  Some kickers do have bad stretches or even bad seasons and come back fine with the same team, but in many cases, once they lose the mental part of their game, they're done with their current team.  These guys often resurface with new teams, starting over, and sometimes return to form.  I guess we'll see how Bass does in camp.  I don't know if it's the holder or not, but maybe if they decide to go with the rookie punter from SDSU over Martin, that will help Bass.

I do think that if the Bills release Bass, he will eventually resurface and have a decent career with another team, but that doesn't mean the Bills should keep him if his mental game with the Bills is gone.

Finished super rocky last season. Didn't even feel good about his XPs. They were always slicing/hooking. Anything above 40 yards felt like 50/50. Seems like he started of the season decently. I would be curious on his percentage on his last 20 attempts.

16 hours ago, Steve Billieve said:

Should have cut bait half way through last season. Inexcusable they haven't at least brought in some decent competition.

He was unreliable toward the end of last season but not a compete train wreck.  It would have been a drastic move to cut him in the middle of the year.  

Bass is in the as Diggs was.  Signed to an extension at an in opportune time.  The reason they aren’t bringing in completion is his contract. They are looking at a $4M dead cap hit on a kicker, on top of an already bad cap year.  

They are going to give him every chance to succeed before making moves.  

My concern is that once kickers start to get shaky, it doesn’t seem like they are able to regain their old form.

4 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Bills should have another kicker in camp. Maybe bring in a UFL player or something they can’t go in with just Bass it’s far too risky 

They actually have a kicker on the team in Jack Browning who kicked and punted in college

3 hours ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

It's a relationship based on trust. It's not that hard to fathom that the timing/trust isn't there with certain kickers/holders. 

"Nuh uh"  🤣 that's some sandbox/back of the school bus *****.  

If bass keeps getting to use the holders as an excuse he's going to lose a lot more games for us lol

He's a professional kicker... And everybody holding for him has been holding for kickers... Last year people called Sam Martin an amazing holder when we got him 

Tyler bass crapped the bed

42 minutes ago, Bookie Man said:

Finished super rocky last season. Didn't even feel good about his XPs. They were always slicing/hooking. Anything above 40 yards felt like 50/50. Seems like he started of the season decently. I would be curious on his percentage on his last 20 attempts.

Started the year 9/9.

Then he missed 2 FG (a 52 and 53 yarder) against the Giants in week 6 which very nearly cost us the game. 

McD lost faith in him after that and chose to punt instead of attempt 50+ yard FGs multiple times.

After the 9/9 start Bass went 15/20 in the regular season and a mind boggling 2/5 in the playoffs. 

I think he would've already been released by now if it weren't for the ridiculous contract Beane gave him. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1