Bass struggling at minicamp (and now at training camp)

8 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

He's never been in the top five or seven... When all you have is one job... Put Football through uprights... That's all you could judge him by 

He certainly was ascending before he fell off a cliff... But he's always had a natural fade... Right to left motion... Which is why he kicks pats from the left hash 

That's not normal for most kickers and not a consistent thing to repeat 

I had zero faith when I saw him on the right hash mark in the playoffs versus the Chiefs with the game on the line

pretty sure he finished 1 year 3rd in % n has huge leg

25 minutes ago, QCity said:

There will not be a single kicker brought in for a competition.

If he continues to struggle and this carries over to training camp and preseason, then there will be. 

29 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

pretty sure he finished 1 year 3rd in % n has huge leg

Bass was never close to 3rd:

2020  82.4% (20th)

2021  87.5% (15th)

2022  87.1%  (11th)

2023  82.8% (23rd)

GunnerBill did a deeper dive and found that Bass was 33 out of 35 from the 2nd half of his rookie year thru the first half of his 2nd year.   That is the reason people have the impression that he is elite.   Outside of that span he has been slightly above average (except for the 2nd half of last year where he was just bad).

Edited by Billy Claude
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Of all the positions that I think you should replace right away once things start getting bad, it's kicker.

We need to bring in someone else, even if he's like 45 years with a weaker leg but still accurate.

Throw in the fact that kicking in Orchard Park is harder than most other places especially late in the year.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Billy Claude said:

2020  82.4% (20th)

2021  87.5% (15th)

2022  87.1%  (11th)

2023  82.8% (23rd)

GunnerBill did a deeper dive and found that Bass was 33 out of 35 from the 2nd half of his rookie year thru the first half of his 2nd year.   That is the reason people have the impression that he is elite.   Outside of that span he has been slightly above average (except for the 2nd half of last year where he was just bad).

That was always my imprssion as well. I never saw him as elite.

2 hours ago, Billy Claude said:

2020  82.4% (20th)

2021  87.5% (15th)

2022  87.1%  (11th)

2023  82.8% (23rd)

And the first half of his rookie year where he was horrific 

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

Throw in the fact that kicking in Orchard Park is harder than most other places especially late in the year.

Is this a fact?

I know we say it a lot. But I’m sure there’s a stat that kicking average decreases in Buffalo by X if it’s true.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, FireChans said:

And the first half of his rookie year where he was horrific 

Is this a fact?

I know we say it a lot. But I’m sure there’s a stat that kicking average decreases in Buffalo by X if it’s true.

It gets windy in that stadium a lot and late in the year with the potential for snow, freezing rain along with the wind. It can be a challenge for kickers. 

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don’t think changing kickers would be smart. Work with him, get him right. He’s a talented kicker. Almost every kicker has down stretches, other than guys like Justin Tucker. 

I'm a believer in that line of thinking too, but he is 2-5 on kicks in the playoffs. That needs to be better. 

• Agree 1

Since Bass's issues appear largely psychological, i imagine Beane didn't bring in any competition so as to not make Bass more of a headcase about his status with the team. Sort of like a GM with a QB who doesn't bring in any QB to compete with them.

I dont agree with it, as these players are supposed to be professionals & used to competition their whole life. Beane's comments on having guys push others runs counter to this with Bass. There's just no reason not to bring someone in, unless you're 100% confident Bass can regain it, which you should never be.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Nuh uh is always such a great and well thought out response.

Could it just be Bass, sure, but it's not wrong to point out that in OTAs he had a real consistent showing with a different holder then with the same holder he had last season he was more inconsistent.

And the holder does matter, inconsistency there leads to it in the kicks.

It's a relationship based on trust. It's not that hard to fathom that the timing/trust isn't there with certain kickers/holders. 

"Nuh uh"  🤣 that's some sandbox/back of the school bus *****.