Bass struggling at minicamp (and now at training camp)

1 hour ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I don't get this organizations thinking. He has already cost us games including the divisional game.  He has sucked all offseason and pre season.

And they keep this guy? 

the game was lost the moment he stepped onto the field to attempt the FG late in the 4th.   Tyler just fast-forwarded our defeat by a minute or two.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If they go looking, the Jets have had two kickers throughout camp and Austin Seibert could wind up on their practice squad. He's looked good and has made all 5 kicks he's attempted in the pre-season games..

..some of them longer than 40 yards 🤯

Edited by Malazan
  • Like (+1) 1

He’s a head case at this point - as often happens to kickers. It’s not athletic ability or skill, but a crisis of confidence- he’s in his own head. Time to move on as he may never get it back. Missing kicks will cost you points and therefore games. 

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Neo said:

I can’t think of another player in the NFL who, if lost to injury, would change the trajectory of his team more than Josh Allen.   Allen is the most singly important player in the league in the context of team outlook.   We may all phrase things differently, but I don’t think the post you responded to was ridiculous at all.   We may disagree with it, but it’s as linked to reality as other points of view. 

The bills have had a great defense under McDermott.  They have failed in big moments so I get that but what part does Allen play on having the lowest point against the last 5 years?   Any franchise qb is critical for their teams success.   Look at the bengals last year without burrow. 

5 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

Beane cannot wait until the end of September to bring in a kicker for the PS.

With the situation concerning Bass, Beane should be able to convince any agent/kicker that signing to the PS give him a real

chance to make a team.  That needs to be the incentive to get the best available kicker to sign to the Bills PS right after cutdown.

Big fan of Beane but this has been a mistake all offseason.

Note:  Bass's contract is high, but the terms do not make for him uncuttable, especially if it's a younger player. 

Sit Tyler Bass in a dark room. On a projector, play the sound REALLY LOUD and have the video loop over and over with nothing but Tyler’s successful kicks, interspersed with the cheers of a crowd. Force him to sit in this room for 8 hours, watching this video over and over. He’ll come out a new man.

• Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Brand J said:

Sit Tyler Bass in a dark room. On a projector, play the sound REALLY LOUD and have the video loop over and over with nothing but Tyler’s successful kicks, interspersed with the cheers of a crowd. Force him to sit in this room for 8 hours, watching this video over and over. He’ll come out a new man.

LOL, made me think of a session with Dr. Knobb from The Natural.  “Gently rocking.  Gently … rocking.”

Fun fact.   Dr. Knobb was played by Peter Poth, managing partner of a Buffalo Big Eight Accounting firm who went on to be CEO of Delaware North Companies.  I did business with Poth and his team, back in the day, but well after the film was made.  Joe Strnad, the umpire, was a Hamburg / Bethlehem Management Club member.  I was friends with his daughter.   Lastly, an all time classic.  One of cinema’s great four seconds.   Hobbs strikes out The Whammer in a batting competition at a train stop and Harriet’s gaze moves from the Whammer to The Natural.

The last four seconds.

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

The bills have had a great defense under McDermott.  They have failed in big moments so I get that but what part does Allen play on having the lowest point against the last 5 years?   Any franchise qb is critical for their teams success.   Look at the bengals last year without burrow. 

His point and your point are interesting.   I was simply saying his isn’t ridiculous.   I think a lot of the organization’s (Beane’s) success, praise and notoriety can be attributed to the Allen pick and his ascension to among the greats.    My words, different, but essentially the same thought as the original poster’s.  You’re not wrong.

If they don’t cut him outright, I’d put him on IR for mental health. It’s clearly what’s plaguing him and how is that any different from a physical ailment? Both prevent you from doing your job. 

Put him on IR. Pay him the $ this year (better than having the full $7MM cap hit). See if he can shake it at any point during the season. If not, he sits on IR all year and can compete next year in camp with a rookie.  Then, go throw a couple million at a guy who is cut in the next few days and hope for the best. 

Only other option might be to keep Bass and get a PS kicker. Call up the PS kicker for three weeks and deactivate Bass. Rinse and repeat throughout the year until you’re comfortable Bass has gotten over the mental. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Brand J said:

Zap his balls while this is happening. Not sure if it will do anything but it doesn't hurt....

Unless your his balls

17 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Am I missing something? He’s been pretty successful this preseason. He missed one kick. 

Really? I've heard (and not sure his is precise) that he's only making about 2/3 of his kicks. Maybe that was just one or two bad days but he's worrying Joe Marino who has followed all of the camp days.

9 hours ago, Brand J said:

a-clockwork-orange-still.jpg

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Really? I've heard (and not sure his is precise) that he's only making about 2/3 of his kicks. Maybe that was just one or two bad days but he's worrying Joe Marino who has followed all of the camp days.

He’s missed one preseason “game” kick, he’s missed enough/others during practice to feel less than confident in his ability to make any needed kick. 

• Thank you (+1) 1