Bass struggling at minicamp (and now at training camp)

Bass has the yips, he’s done. Every kick is a slice right, except when it’s comically bad left - like the kick against the Steelers, or the one in the Blue and Red scrimmage. Those goal posts must look 5 feet across to him.

• Like (+1) 2

Bass is toast currently.  Salary cap wise I don't think we can afford to cut him now.  Is there any future salary cap downside (new guarantees triggered in the spring, etc) to throwing him on IR for this season and seeing if he can compete/win the job next training camp? Maybe he gets right between now and then, maybe not.

I'm assuming we could bring in some team's 2nd kicker for 2024 that gets cut in the near future with minimal salary cap impact.

Edit: Looks like a 100k workout bonus would be the only additional cost-no guarantees past 2024 on the contract.

Edited by co_springs_billsfan
Spotrac research
  • Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Trade him and someone/something to Tennessee for folk. Just need a consistent guy out there. Don’t need the strong leg.

Not sure teams will be lining up to trade for a kicker that can’t make a field goal 

2 minutes ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

Bass is toast currently.  Salary cap wise I don't think we can afford to cut him now.  Is there any future salary cap downside (new guarantees triggered in the spring, etc) to throwing him on IR for this season and seeing if he can compete/win the job next training camp? Maybe he gets right between now and then, maybe not.

I'm assuming we could bring in some team's 2nd kicker for 2024 that gets cut in the near future with minimal salary cap impact.

They’d eat money this year and next but if a better option becomes available they gotta make a move.  Bass is going to cost this team games 

• Agree 1

Are the Bills going to make the tough (but smart) decision to move-on from Tyler Bass before Week 1?

Or are we going to wait until he actually costs us a game?

The problem last year clearly wasn't injury related.  And whatever is wrong with his technique or confidence hasn't been fixed in the 7 months he's had since blowing it huge in the playoffs.  I just can't see him magically turning it around once the regular season hits.  He's done.  And it's just a disaster waiting to happen.  If I'm Sean McDermott right now, I doubt I would send him out for anything over 40-45 yards.  

Yes.  I understand the cap implications.  But that clearly didn't bother Beane when it came to Stefon Diggs (or several other vet players).  

I would rather take my chances with a street free agent.  

40 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Hope a guy like Brayden Narveson gets cut by the Titans and add him to the practice squad. If Bass keeps struggling in practice and games call the kid up and cut Bass. It's that simple.

Yea I think a kicker added to the PS post cut down is guaranteed. Narverson had a good preseason, maybe a veteran kicker comes available too

28 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Are the Bills going to make the tough (but smart) decision to move-on from Tyler Bass before Week 1?

Or are we going to wait until he actually costs us a game?

The problem last year clearly wasn't injury related.  And whatever is wrong with his technique or confidence hasn't been fixed in the 7 months he's had since blowing it huge in the playoffs.  I just can't see him magically turning it around once the regular season hits.  He's done.  And it's just a disaster waiting to happen.  If I'm Sean McDermott right now, I doubt I would send him out for anything over 40-45 yards.  

Yes.  I understand the cap implications.  But that clearly didn't bother Beane when it came to Stefon Diggs (or several other vet players).  

I would rather take my chances with a street free agent.  

I think it will need to happen in game unfortunately

“That’s a kick he’s gonna practice a million times this week.”

From the reports, it sounds like he attempts 4-5 kicks a day.  Long way to “a million”. 

Now, if he said “that’s a kick he’s gonna miss a million times this week”, then yeah. 

35 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

cut Bass. It's that simple.

Well, it's not that simple. It really isn't. Keep in mind this is the first year of his new contract.

One, cutting Bass will not only result in an $4.3M dead cap hit this year, it will also push a $3M dead cap hit to next year as well, and that is certainly something the front office does not want to do.

Two, brining in another player is going to likely cost anywhere from $1M -$2M and we are quite tight on available money this season. This move could easily make our cap hit for kickers this year ~$6M. That's a fair price if you're named Tucker or Butker, but pretty hard to stomach for Bass and Some Old Vet. 

Three, you don't even know if the new kicker will be better. I know the grass is always greener on the other side and it's easy to scream "Cut him!", but there does exist the possibility that the new guy could be worse

It's a tough situation. I'm sure they don't want to burn a practice squad spot on a kicker, but they may have to.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, QCity said:

It's a tough situation. I'm sure they don't want to burn a practice squad spot on a kicker, but they may have to.

I can see them putting a K on the PS if they want to push Bass a bit.  Otherwise, they will ride him until he misses about 4 in a row or misses a gimme game winner. At that point they will pull someone off the street. 

So here’s the deal. A new kicker needs to be an upgrade.

Don’t give me that ‘aNy kICkeR is aN uPgRAde’ crap, don’t cut one 75-80% kicker for another, when we have to pay the one we have.

I think the Bills absolutely could make a move, but it has to be a clear upgrade. Fact the Bills kept going for 2 with a bunch of 1-week QBs is telling. 

• Agree 1