Bass struggling at minicamp (and now at training camp)

25 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

He's officially a head case.  We're ****

He's been a head case for a while now. Is it possible to to have less than zero confidence in someone? What a great contract we handed out

Edited by buffblue

6 minutes ago, Neo said:

Gary Anderson.   Buffalo Bills 1982.  Currently 3 in all time scoring.   

Single example from 42 years ago, should drive freeze the Bills in place in 2024, to avoid the same mistake?

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Single example from 42 years ago, should drive freeze the Bills in place in 2024, to avoid the same mistake?

You asked for an example.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Such is the lot of a situational pass rusher. They are by nature streaky. He has only hit 50% of field time in one post-season game (his most recent one where he was bank on 50). I agree he hasn't justified second round pick status. You need more than two seasons of rotational player value to justify that. And I was surprised the Bills extended him. He has only started four games in four seasons as a Bill. If they are relying on him to suddenly be an every down player I think that is a major risk. Where we disagree is you have called him "useless" and "terrible" in recent days.  I don't think he is either of those things. I think he has some burst and some bend and in terms of a pass rusher who can actually just flat out beat his man to the edge he is the best the Bills have unless Von can re-find his form. But he isn't consistent, he can't set the edge and he lacks discipline. 

The problem I had with AJ is just how developmental he actually was. It seemed like we knew right away that we didn't like his body. So he undergoes this massive conversion process and it takes him two years to start getting on the field and making an impact. Our reward for all this trouble would be a season or two on a rookie deal and that was the best case situation. AJ's progression would have been much more logical had he been a later pick. Having said this I hope AJ makes me totally eat these statements. I like him as a player and he had a stretch last year where it didn't look like we would even be able to sign him.  It would have been such a bummer to have transformed him only to see him walk right when he developed. 

1 hour ago, Neo said:

Gary Anderson.   Buffalo Bills 1982.  Currently 3 in all time scoring.   

I wouldn’t hold up Gary Anderson as an example of a kicker that lost his confidence while with us and then found it again. He told us he didn’t want to be drafted by us, resented the fact that we did anyway, and then proceeded to sabotage his very short stay here by deliberately missing kicks in practice and a couple preseason games before we cut him prior to the start of the ‘82 season.

He was never here long enough to lose his confidence with us and his arrogance wouldn’t allow that anyway. 

Perhaps he struggled with confidence in Pittsburg, but he managed to stay there 13 years.

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 4

9 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

Willing to take 40 million in cap hits for 3 Captains in Diggs, Tre and Mitch and not 4 million on a average kicker seems like at minimum an interesting choice.

Edited by Billsflyer12
  • Agree 2

On 8/21/2024 at 5:03 PM, Chaos said:

Example?

There’s even an example from today.  The Commanders traded for Case York of the Browns. This after they released Dustin Hopkins after a few games of the 2023 season because he supposedly sucked.  And then Hopkins was picked up by Cleveland only to kick so well he won the job and got an extension. And Washington is on their 3rd or 4th kicker since. 

Cmon pay attention to the league.  They don’t call it the kicker carousel for nothing.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I wouldn’t hold up Gary Anderson as an example of a kicker that lost his confidence while with us and then found it again. He told us he didn’t want to be drafted by us, resented the fact that we did anyway, and then proceeded to sabotage his very short stay here by deliberately missing kicks in practice and a couple preseason games before we cut him prior to the start of the ‘82 season.

He was never here long enough to lose his confidence with us and his arrogance wouldn’t allow that anyway. 

Perhaps he struggled with confidence in Pittsburg, but he managed to stay there 13 years.

And he's probably best remembered now for missing a 38 FG in Vikings NFC Championship game...

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

You know him better than me.

7 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

The problem I had with AJ is just how developmental he actually was. It seemed like we knew right away that we didn't like his body. So he undergoes this massive conversion process and it takes him two years to start getting on the field and making an impact. Our reward for all this trouble would be a season or two on a rookie deal and that was the best case situation. AJ's progression would have been much more logical had he been a later pick. Having said this I hope AJ makes me totally eat these statements. I like him as a player and he had a stretch last year where it didn't look like we would even be able to sign him.  It would have been such a bummer to have transformed him only to see him walk right when he developed. 

But that is as much on Brandon Beane and the coaches as it is on AJ himself. They drafted a big, base end, and asked him to become an outside speed rusher.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This is real:

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5715301/2024/08/21/buffalo-bills-practice-cole-bishop-mike-edwards-tyler-bass?source=user-shared-article

The Tyler Bass struggles continue

The Bills might have a brewing problem with kicker Tyler Bass. Against the Steelers, Bass nailed all three of his attempts, which was a much-needed confidence boost, even if the attempts were only from 27, 26 and 31. The internal hope had to be that it was the start of Bass turning it around as they near the regular season. Things have not gone according to plan. Over the last two practices, Bass has made 8 of his 14 attempts in team drills, which is not ideal but doesn’t sound as bad as when you dig deeper into those numbers.

Bass went a perfect 3-for-3 from under 35 yards, with hits from 33, 28 and 33 yards out. But when Bass tried from 40 yards or longer, he was only 5-of-11. He went 3-of-6 on those kicks on Tuesday and 2-of-5 on Wednesday. The makes were from 43, 47, 44, 40 and 48 yards. The misses were from 47, 47, 44, 42, 42 and 40 yards. Bass did not attempt a single field goal that was at least 50 yards long. On both days, general manager Brandon Beane went on the field around 30-40 yards directly behind Bass to get a good view of each kick. The struggles have not been new, having persisted most of training camp. And now only two weeks out of the regular season, the Bills have the dilemma of what to do with a struggling kicker who has a dead cap hit of $4.32 million this year if they cut him, with an extra $3 plus million in dead cap added to 2025 if that’s the route they take. The Bills will likely have to keep Bass because of his contract. But with all these struggles, unless things change, don’t be surprised if they prioritize signing a kicker to the practice squad in a week.

• Like (+1) 1

Good. I’m glad we have an inconsistent kicker. We should go for it more on 4th down. We don’t have Trent Edwards at quarterback anymore 

i just don’t get it. Every coordinator we have had isn’t afraid to throw our franchise QB that we waited 21 years for on a QB sweep but we don’t go for it every 4th down in opponents territory 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Blackbeard said:

What was said by his fellow players? 

please quote.  

Otherwise you’re just gossiping about things you haven’t a clue on and talking out your ass. 

I am entitled to my opinion. It's more what they don't say. Reading between the lines. They certain don't seem to care that he left. There was a reason the Vikings shipped him out, even though he was a #1 receiver. It was because they knew they would get Jefferson. The leaving after showing up for the offseason stuff. Not talking to coach about it. The refusal to talk to media. It all just seems selfish to me. We will be a better team w/o him. 

Edited by sunshynman

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

But that is as much on Brandon Beane and the coaches as it is on AJ himself. They drafted a big, base end, and asked him to become an outside speed rusher.

....and they did the exact same thing with Elam.  They knew he was a man coverage guy, yet they still tried to put that square peg in the round hole.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, sunshynman said:

I am entitled to my opinion. It's more what they don't say. Reading between the lines. They certain don't seem to care that he left. There was a reason the Vikings shipped him out, even though he was a #1 receiver. It was because they knew they would get Jefferson. The leaving after showing up for the offseason stuff. Not talking to coach about it. The refusal to talk to media. It all just seems selfish to me. We will be a better team w/o him. 

No one knew what Jefferson would become, otherwise he wouldn’t have been the 5th WR taken. Vikings didn’t know they’d get him either, nor could they have expect he’d exceed Diggs as a player. Like any other team drafting players, they lucked out.

I don’t disagree with your views on Diggs, I wish our front office had the foresight to gamble on a rookie WR and have that pan out better than trading for an established, yet temperamental vet, but it is what it is. I understand why they made the move. I’ll always remember Beane saying the reason they traded for Diggs was because he didn’t think they could get high enough to draft one of the “big 3” (Lamb/Ruggs/Jeudy). No one saw Jefferson as “that guy.” I also remember the consensus being “the better LSU receiver comes out next year.” (Chase)

• Agree 1