Bass struggling at minicamp (and now at training camp)

On 8/3/2024 at 6:48 PM, TheyCallMeAndy said:

If Tyler Bass went 6-7, long of 51 and a miss from 58 in a game, he’d be AFC SPT Player of the Week 

The 58 yarder that Bass pathetically clotheslined into the corner of the end zone was the only kick of the night that was made in a real game type situation.    The offense failed to convert and the FG unit came on and he shanked that ghastly attempt.   The rest of his FG attempts were all done together in like a 2-3 minute sequence where they just stayed on the field practicing FG's.   Practice type kicks gradually moving further back.  That seems to be lost on the people commenting while having not seen the practice.   He had one kick where he had to walk on from the sidelines and kick it timely like it was a game and it was brutal.    

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Everybody blames Bass for the playoff loss to the Chiefs. It's the last thing they remember.

Bills fans have selective memory loss.

I don't blame Bass for the loss to the Chefs.  He won games for us last year to get us there.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I don't blame Bass for the loss to the Chefs.  He won games for us last year to get us there.

What games did Bass win for us last season?

He kicked a late FG to take the lead twice.

39 yard FG vs Chiefs (regular season)

29 yard FG vs Chargers

Every single kicker in the league (and many not in the league) would've made those kicks.

Bass cost us the Eagles and Patriots games in the regular season. He cost us at least a chance in the KC playoff game 

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The 58 yarder that Bass pathetically clotheslined into the corner of the end zone was the only kick of the night that was made in a real game type situation.    The offense failed to convert and the FG unit came on and he shanked that ghastly attempt.   The rest of his FG attempts were all done together in like a 2-3 minute sequence where they just stayed on the field practicing FG's.   Practice type kicks gradually moving further back.  That seems to be lost on the people commenting while having not seen the practice.   He had one kick where he had to walk on from the sidelines and kick it timely like it was a game and it was brutal.    

If you miss when you go full power it can go very wrong and look silly. Ask any soccer player, any golfer etc. It doesn’t make it “pathetic”. 

18 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Let's see what happens this season. You can't deny his career 84% is mediocre and would rank around 22nd in the NFL. His career deep kicks (50+) are at 63% which is also mediocre. But the most glaring problem would be his career playoff 70%.  If you kicked 70% during the regular season, you probably be out of the league or ranking around 30-32.  These are career numbers for a guy who just got a very generous extension.  I don't want him to be a scapegoat.  I want him to succeed,  but he's gotta prove he can make clutch kicks. 

That kick to send the game into OT against Houston was pretty clutch

6 hours ago, Freak-O said:

If you miss when you go full power it can go very wrong and look silly. Ask any soccer player, any golfer etc. It doesn’t make it “pathetic”. 

Full power? The kick was not only way left but it was also short. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Freak-O said:

Well it's not OK for him to be "any" hack pretend athlete for whom pathetic is the norm.   He's paid to be an NFL kicker and in that context it truly was pathetic.

10 hours ago, NickelCity said:

It's not fun being a part of the group that is worried about Bass. I really worry about Bass during a trophy run. 

It would be more of a concern for me if I had faith in the WR corps.    They aren't running for any trophy if that group doesn't play above reasonable expectation.   I think McBabich will concoct a reasonable facsimile of their typical defense(regardless of who is at safety) but they are going to need a lot of touchdowns against this schedule.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It would be more of a concern for me if I had faith in the WR corps.    They aren't running for any trophy if that group doesn't play above reasonable expectation.   I think McBabich will concoct a reasonable facsimile of their typical defense(regardless of who is at safety) but they are going to need a lot of touchdowns against this schedule.

We already have a bonafide deep threat in Shakir, a bonafide elusive route runner in Samuel, a very productive WR for the RAIDERS of all teams with Hollins, and a stud rookie Twister-like iron claw pass catcher in Coleman. This doesn't include MVS, who has valuable experience and input and may be a roster cut, really cementing how underrated our WR corps truly is. I simply don't get why anyone would have consternation over this group.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

5 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

We already have a bonafide deep threat in Shakir, a bonafide elusive route runner in Samuel, a very productive WR for the RAIDERS of all teams with Hollins, and a stud rookie Twister-like iron claw pass catcher in Coleman. This doesn't include MVS, who has valuable experience and input and may be a roster cut, really cementing how underrated our WR corps truly is. I simply don't get why anyone would have consternation over this group.

I can't tell if you are being serious. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

You sound like you are looking for a black lining in a silver cloud.

image.png.63c6dd7fcfb756afcb6b34d0d3adda44.png

Well, despite your bestowed "bonafides"........they lack a pater familias, so to speak.

So for the first time in almost 40 years they have a WR corps without anyone who'd even put up a modest 900 yard receiving season.......and are generally considered near the bottom of the league as a unit by people who make a living predicting these things and setting odds for Vegas,  etc..

But yeah it must just be me. :rolleyes:

• Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I look great on the driving range. 

21 hours ago, buffblue said:

Did Steven Hauschka get erased from our history books?

Maybe I'll get raked over the coals for this... but I think Lindell and Carpenter were the better kickers, at least in terms of their tenure in Buffalo.  Carpenter crashed and burned towards the end, but he was extremely solid in the early half of his career here.  Re: Hauschka, there's a reason they went after Bass in the first place.