Bass struggling at minicamp (and now at training camp)

It feels over. He doesn't strike me as the ice in veins type and that's kind of what he needs to be now that the fanbase is focused on him and there's very little margin for random error. He wasn't particularly good anyway per stats already provided, so it's almost not even worth asking him to step it up and then essentially hope for the best. He needs to be the best Bass ever at this point which feels impossible. Just move on.

• Like (+1) 3

10 hours ago, QCity said:

Well, it's not that simple. It really isn't. Keep in mind this is the first year of his new contract.

One, cutting Bass will not only result in an $4.3M dead cap hit this year, it will also push a $3M dead cap hit to next year as well, and that is certainly something the front office does not want to do.

Two, brining in another player is going to likely cost anywhere from $1M -$2M and we are quite tight on available money this season. This move could easily make our cap hit for kickers this year ~$6M. That's a fair price if you're named Tucker or Butker, but pretty hard to stomach for Bass and Some Old Vet. 

Three, you don't even know if the new kicker will be better. I know the grass is always greener on the other side and it's easy to scream "Cut him!", but there does exist the possibility that the new guy could be worse

It's a tough situation. I'm sure they don't want to burn a practice squad spot on a kicker, but they may have to.

This can’t be true. Beane would

never overextend himself on a new deal. 

Edited by Mikie2times

7 minutes ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

Ya... think we need to stop giving beane so many passes . Can't live on one pick forever. 

I think if von doesn’t get hurt we might be polishing a ring at this point. Crazy how much was riding on that one acquisition. 

At the end of this year (or sooner) we need to be done with Von, Bass, Knox. 

And maybe Milano even though he’s my favorite.

Started with the 13 second game, where Bass never got the memo to squib the kick. 

Common sense should have told him to squib that kick not his special teams coach who was fired.

• Dislike 1

51 minutes ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

Ya... think we need to stop giving beane so many passes . Can't live on one pick forever. 

One guy has created all the success the last four years?   What a ridiculous post. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Matt_In_NH said:

It’s just a matter of how long it takes the organization to realize they have to make a change.  His contract is such you cannot easily waive him.  But you might need to IR him at some point and bring in a vet.  

This is 100% truth... he will lose us games this year I fear unless we make a change

1 hour ago, Matt_In_NH said:

One guy has created all the success the last four years?   What a ridiculous post. 

I can’t think of another player in the NFL who, if lost to injury, would change the trajectory of his team more than Josh Allen.   Allen is the most singly important player in the league in the context of team outlook.   We may all phrase things differently, but I don’t think the post you responded to was ridiculous at all.   We may disagree with it, but it’s as linked to reality as other points of view. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Bass has always had an unorthodox kicking style with little to no run up to the kick.  Probably a lot harder to fix or make adjustments when all his power has to come from his leg swing instead of also stepping into the kick.  

Agree with this a lot as it seems pretty unusual for modern day kickers and it's not talked about much. The technique is flat out weird. Most of his kicks have a distinct left to right trajectory where even the makes split the uprights at a fading angle. It's extremely rare to see Bass make a kick that goes straight down the middle or even just straight generally, including from short distance.

Edited by buffblue

Looks like he has lost all confidence ,  he was not very consistent all last season even before missing the kick against KC.  The big problem Beane now has is telling Terry about the more dead money this year and next if they cut him.  

10 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I don't get this organizations thinking. He has already cost us games including the divisional game.  He has sucked all offseason and pre season.

And they keep this guy? 

I think the issue is a lot of teams struggle with having a reliable kicker.

So there probably aren't a lot of good kickers out there and you couple that with the contract, bills are a bit stuck at this point.

They definitely need to bring in a veteran kicker  on the practice squad though, cause this could get bad very fast 

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

Not that a near 40 year old washed up kicker will have any better confidence in the 40+ range. 

Such a crappy situation, but I agree with the decision to stick with Bass solo and try to work through the mental block. 

• Like (+1) 1

01j6065rdtdnpbfqhqkr.jpg

Carucci Take 2: Bills might not have No. 2 QB yet … and may be looking for a kicker?

1. One of the larger questions facing the Bills as they put the preseason behind them is the state of their backup quarterback situation.

It isn’t good.

Of course, if anyone other than Josh Allen sees any extensive playing time behind center, the Bills are in serious trouble. That said, it’s fair to wonder whether the Bills have a legitimate No. 2 QB on their roster.

2. It’s beginning to look like Tyler Bass might be kicking his way off the roster.

After a rough week in practice, Bass was wide right from 51 yards Saturday. McDermott did not hide his displeasure over the miss.

“Yeah, yeah,” McDermott said. “You know, those are ones he’s got to make. He knows that. It looked like it faded a little bit to the right there.

“So, that’s a kick he’s going to practice a million times, I know, this week. And that’s one we’ve got to have.”

The Bills truly had to have that 44-yard attempt he also sent wide right in last January’s 27-24 divisional-round playoff loss against Kansas City. Bass has carried the weight of that gaffe into the season, and one has to wonder whether it has become too much for him?

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

This Beane problem is the enigma of this team, and is the single reason this team has declined since the 13 sec fiasco.  Beane has tried to sign players that in no way were even rated in the top 10 at their position just to bring them back to this team.  We have over paid for many players Beane has given a contract to and it caught up to this team this year with the CAP hell he put this team in.  The only contract on this team that has paid for itself has been JA17.  Every other deal Beane has done has been questionable at best, accept for Cole Beasley and technically when Stephon was brought to Buffalo using a handful of draft picks as compensation in 2020.  Bass should never have been resigned and given the money that we paid this guy.  He has never been an elite kicker in this league by any means and he did not warrant his contract as a kicker for this team.  This is just the typical Beane financial nonsense and now we are stuck with a kicker that going to cost us when it matters.  It already cost us last year.  So get ready for more cringe worthy kicks from Bass this entire season.

• Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 3

11 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

The only positive here is that it’s 4 down territory from the opponents 40 yard line to about the 25 yard line.  No need to even bother thinking about using Bass there.  

It's an interesting conversation.

Cause let's say it's 4th and 10 on the 30. Are you kicking or going for it there? 

As of now I would say kick it, unless Bass just keeps missing those. But if that's the case you got to cut him.

But if it's like 4th and 3 on the 30 to your point, then probably gonna go for it