Bass struggling at minicamp (and now at training camp)

4 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I mean we basically just tried this and he missed it

Doesn't mean the other option would work though. They could go for it on 4th & 7 and just get shut down anyway, so then what?

Obviously McDermott would get crucified for not kicking the FG & everyone would riot saying he cost is the SB.

But in the Chiefs game, kicking a FG there was dumb anyway given the circumstances. We like to pretend we "lost by a FG" to make ourselves feel better, but in reality, the Chiefs had a ton of left to score!

And given how easily they moved the ball ALL GAME, combined with what they proved in the "13 seconds" game, kicking a FG there was playing for the lowest chance of survival. Hoping for a miracle stop & hoping for OT - not good odds given the situation. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Roundybout said:

I think his confidence is absolutely shot after Wide Right 2. 

I wasn’t really cognizant for it, but how did Norwood do the next season after Super Bowl 25?

He regressed from 69% in 1990 to 62.1% in 1991  but he was not a great kicker to begin with.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If you’re willing to eat $30M in dead cap for Diggs to play for the Texans this year, you damn well better be willing to eat some dead cap on your kicker. Yes, he’s well paid and that would suck, but the dude is just not reliable. Reminds me a little of when Dan Carpenter had a good year for us and could never follow it up.

I love Bass’s leg strength, but have never loved his approach to kicking the ball. It seems inconsistent. Most of the time it seems like he tries to float/finesse it (and it pushes right) rather than rip it with confidence.  And him needing to be on the left hash all the time is super concerning. I’m sure most kickers have a preference, but I don’t trust him at all if he’s kicking from the right hash. Even from the left hash with a good kick, unless it’s a chip shot, he pushes it right anyway and barely sneaks it through. 

If they don’t move on now, fine, but the guy should have a short leash. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, zow2 said:

Just gonna have to suck it up and hope for the best w TBass.   We've seen this movie with the Bills and all over the league.  Kicker "A" who has proven to be pretty good if not very good, hits some bad times...maybe his confidence wanes.  He gets released.  Meanwhile the team picks up an aging journeyman kicker off the scrap heap (or maybe an unproven free agent) who ends up being worse than Kicker A. and the cycle continues....maybe for a few seasons.

Meanwhile Kicker A is picked up ASAP by another desperate team going through similar kicker issues.   For whatever reason, he gets his confidence back, kicks well and gets an extension.  And the original team is left thinking, Hmmmm maybe we should have just rode it out.

Example?

50 minutes ago, Dick_Cheney said:

I'm sorry, but we have got to cut this guy, and we need to do it yesterday.

getting the misses out of the way early ?

11 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Seems like our kickers have a habit of falling off really quickly. Carpenter and Hauschka did it, and I think Lindell fell off with Tampa pretty hard 

and some have done well enough elsewhere it seems to still be kicking around  lol

3 hours ago, Negan said:

Just surprised that no other competition has been brought in. Can't be missing these kicks come regular season or I would venture he would be cut.

I think they almost have to wait for roster cuts at this point.

Every team still has 90 man rosters and a lot of teams have two kickers, so probably not a lot out there now.

It will be interesting after cut day when some More kickers will be free agents.

If bass continues struggles during the season, you got to start wondering how long his leash will be 

Edited by BillsFan130
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Blank Stare said:

If you’re willing to eat $30M in dead cap for Diggs to play for the Texans this year, you damn well better be willing to eat some dead cap on your kicker. Yes, he’s well paid and that would suck, but the dude is just not reliable. Reminds me a little of when Dan Carpenter had a good year for us and could never follow it up.

I love Bass’s leg strength, but have never loved his approach to kicking the ball. It seems inconsistent. Most of the time it seems like he tries to float/finesse it (and it pushes right) rather than rip it with confidence.  And him needing to be on the left hash all the time is super concerning. I’m sure most kickers have a preference, but I don’t trust him at all if he’s kicking from the right hash. Even from the left hash with a good kick, unless it’s a chip shot, he pushes it right anyway and barely sneaks it through. 

If they don’t move on now, fine, but the guy should have a short leash. 

Whoa. That’s deep. 

6 hours ago, Roundybout said:

Seems like our kickers have a habit of falling off really quickly. Carpenter and Hauschka did it, and I think Lindell fell off with Tampa pretty hard 

All three of these guys at least had 1 season over 90%.  Bass has had a couple at 87% and 2 seasons at 82%. If he drops below 80% this season, he's gone.  With more anticipated defensive injuries expected this fall, we'll need every point we can get.  

The Tyler Bass struggles continue

The Bills might have a brewing problem with kicker Tyler Bass. Against the Steelers, Bass nailed all three of his attempts, which was a much-needed confidence boost, even if the attempts were only from 27, 26 and 31. The internal hope had to be that it was the start of Bass turning it around as they near the regular season. Things have not gone according to plan. Over the last two practices, Bass has made 8 of his 14 attempts in team drills, which is not ideal but doesn’t sound as bad as when you dig deeper into those numbers.

Bass went a perfect 3-for-3 from under 35 yards, with hits from 33, 28 and 33 yards out. But when Bass tried from 40 yards or longer, he was only 5-of-11. He went 3-of-6 on those kicks on Tuesday and 2-of-5 on Wednesday. The makes were from 43, 47, 44, 40 and 48 yards. The misses were from 47, 47, 44, 42, 42 and 40 yards. Bass did not attempt a single field goal that was at least 50 yards long. On both days, general manager Brandon Beane went on the field around 30-40 yards directly behind Bass to get a good view of each kick. The struggles have not been new, having persisted most of training camp. And now only two weeks out of the regular season, the Bills have the dilemma of what to do with a struggling kicker who has a dead cap hit of $4.32 million this year if they cut him, with an extra $3 plus million in dead cap added to 2025 if that’s the route they take. The Bills will likely have to keep Bass because of his contract. But with all these struggles, unless things change, don’t be surprised if they prioritize signing a kicker to the practice squad in a week.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5715301/2024/08/21/buffalo-bills-practice-cole-bishop-mike-edwards-tyler-bass/

All this emphasis on special teams and no reliable kicker or punter....

Beane's 2020 draft starting to look like absolute garbage now...

Epenesa - terrible, dumb idea to extend him

Moss - gone 

Davis - one great game and some decent seasons - gone

Fromm - terrible

Hodgins - injured, hype, and no good

Jackson - probably going to be the best of the bunch but just an average CB. Not good enough to keep them from drafting Elam.

Bass - for a moment he looked as good as the Davis pick. Now he may be falling apart too

19 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

All this emphasis on special teams and no reliable kicker or punter....

Beane's 2020 draft starting to look like absolute garbage now...

Epenesa - terrible, dumb idea to extend him

Moss - gone 

Davis - one great game and some decent seasons - gone

Fromm - terrible

Hodgins - injured, hype, and no good

Jackson - probably going to be the best of the bunch but just an average CB. Not good enough to keep them from drafting Elam.

Bass - for a moment he looked as good as the Davis pick. Now he may be falling apart too

You’re forgetting the first round pick, who turned out to be a multi-time all pro.

• Like (+1) 1