Bills sign Keon Coleman to his rookie deal

I actually am surprised that the union does not make each slot a fully set contract, including offset money. Having teams mess around the edges does not look good for teams worth billions, but due to the salary cap it can matter.

2 hours ago, MJS said:

I remember the days when it wasn't and teams had to shell out real cash for their draft picks, many of whom became busts. The rookie wage scale was a significant change.

Sam Bradford was one of the last big contracts before the rookie wage scale, I think. That guy got so much money for doing so little in the NFL. Over $130 million over his career. Highway robbery.

Yeah but at least he played for a while as a starter...what about players like Ja'Marcus Russell and Akili Smith who busted early?

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Yeah but at least he played for a while as a starter...what about players like Ja'Marcus Russell and Akili Smith who busted early?

All these guys are why the rookie wage scale is smart for the NFL.

58 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Beane has $7.5M in cap space according to Spotrac.

$4M for PS and $3.5M for the season.  I wouldn't expect any bigger signings.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/_/year/2024

I don't expect anything.....however if they wanted to, they could do pretty much anything. Contracts can be backloaded, more $ can be freed up yet 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, MJS said:

I remember the days when it wasn't and teams had to shell out real cash for their draft picks, many of whom became busts. The rookie wage scale was a significant change.

Sam Bradford was one of the last big contracts before the rookie wage scale, I think. That guy got so much money for doing so little in the NFL. Over $130 million over his career. Highway robbery.

The crazy part is he got multiple contracts AFTER the record setting rookie deal. 

3 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I don't expect anything.....however if they wanted to, they could do pretty much anything. Contracts can be backloaded, more $ can be freed up yet 

May have to use some on a kicker.

7 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

If they want to they can convert the rest of Josh's contract and do the same with Ed Oliver and free up about 9 million. BUT I do not think they will do that unless they really need to make a move or something "too good to be true" happens. 

• Agree 1

On 6/13/2024 at 11:58 AM, Warriorspikes51 said:

think that's an oversimplification. There was a time as recent as a few years ago where we weren't as privy about contracts and money would seemingly appear like magic.

These days, especially this year, every single contract where money could be saved was accounted for. Every cut, restructure, extension, pay cut possible was talked ad nauseum when we were 54m over.

And for that list, we did pretty much all of them that we were going to do or could do, before their money guarantee deadlines. There were only two cords that were left unpulled: an Oliver restructure that could save 3.9m and a Milano restructure could save 2.4m. Not sure why he didn't do Oliver, but I have to imagine they want to leave Milano's contract alone - coming off a catastrophic injury. And I think if either was something he wanted to do, he'd have done it when we were scrambling for any possible way to save money.

Beyond that, the only things he can do are things he's never done before. Everyone likes to point out he left meat on the bone in Allen's contract. But he must have done that for a reason, as we needed it. If he didn't do it then, I don't see him doing it now. He's never restructured any deal twice in the same offseason. Outside of that, all he could do is restructure FA contracts from this year that he just signed. Another thing he's never done and extremely unlikely as he carefully terms each contract how he wants it when they sign.

So the idea that we could do "pretty much anything" is a wild stretch. Could we do a signing? Sure. But anything? No - we can't swing something massive. Especially when we're already 15+m over for next season already.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

On 6/12/2024 at 5:30 PM, MJS said:

The 2010 owner’s lockout was the rare battle of the Millionaires vs Billionaires that was actually a net positive since it fixed some serious flaws in the compensation distribution system,

6 hours ago, BillsfaninChicago said:

The 2010 owner’s lockout was the rare battle of the Millionaires vs Billionaires that was actually a net positive since it fixed some serious flaws in the compensation distribution system,

2010 was a two front battle, it was the usual Millionaires vs. Billionaires up top but then internally there was a large battle between the players who got large rookie contracts and the players who felt that those deals were hurting the lower draft picks free agency contracts. Which I think the veteran players had a point on this one. In an uncapped league whatever let the players get what they can as rookies there's plenty of owners willing to overspend. But in a capped league if you have big rookie contracts eating up cap space for players who are getting paid dam near top dollar for what they did in college and it's eating up free agency dollars for players who have proven themselves at the NFL level for years. 

So a slotting system that still guaranteed first round picks a good mid-level or better salary but not super top dollar like they were receiving made sense. It also worked better for the product avoiding the issues with long lockouts that plagued the old system. But I think the issue wasn't one that was very contentious between the owners and players because the players share of revenue wasn't changing as it was more so a distribution issue vs. an overall amount issue. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 6/13/2024 at 10:58 AM, ColoradoBills said:

Yea, I think they’re rolling with the squad they’ve got. 

WR and DL are where they could make a move, but it never made sense at WR given the competition for WR6.  Would seem a bit pointless to tell Claypool, Shorter, Shavers, Hamler etc., sorry but 53 is full so nevermind. 

At DL, I think our DT rotation is pretty good.   Strong starting tandem with a high draft pick and solid vet as rotational guys, plus another average vet as DT5. 

Could maybe use another EDGE, but if Von is back to even 75% Von, we’re pretty good there with Rousseau, AJ, Von and then Smoot, Solomon, Toohill and Jonathan battling it out for 2 spots.  Have to think Smoot (if healthy) and Solomon are leaders in the clubhouse there. 

Nowhere else really makes much sense, except Safety.. which is where I actually do think it’s greater than 50/50 that Hyde comes back at some point before/during TC. 

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Yea, I think they’re rolling with the squad they’ve got. 

WR and DL are where they could make a move, but it never made sense at WR given the competition for WR6.  Would seem a bit pointless to tell Claypool, Shorter, Shavers, Hamler etc., sorry but 53 is full so nevermind. 

At DL, I think our DT rotation is pretty good.   Strong starting tandem with a high draft pick and solid vet as rotational guys, plus another average vet as DT5. 

Could maybe use another EDGE, but if Von is back to even 75% Von, we’re pretty good there with Rousseau, AJ, Von and then Smoot, Solomon, Toohill and Jonathan battling it out for 2 spots.  Have to think Smoot (if healthy) and Solomon are leaders in the clubhouse there. 

Nowhere else really makes much sense, except Safety.. which is where I actually do think it’s greater than 50/50 that Hyde comes back at some point before/during TC. 

Most likely.  Although Beane has some room to sign someone with some impact if the deal (and fit) is right.

IMO, that's less than a one in three chance.

Bring on camp and preseason!

18 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

2010 was a two front battle, it was the usual Millionaires vs. Billionaires up top but then internally there was a large battle between the players who got large rookie contracts and the players who felt that those deals were hurting the lower draft picks free agency contracts.

It was an easy one to win since the players who would benefit from lower rookie salaries got a vote while the ones who would be hurt in the future did not since they were not in the league yet.

It was great for the league and the fans, up to that point NFL news during the summer was mostly about which draftees were holding out and how much they were asking for.  In the early 2000's, many people regarded a top three or four draft choice as a detriment due to the amount of cap it was going to take up and the high bust probability.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.