Honoring LGBTQ+ Americans (By Responding/Reacting, You Agree That Pride Month is Needed)

Here's journalist Glenn Greenwald just 11 short years ago, right after the Windsor decision dragged a large part of America into the modern age.  It may be a good time to remember that it is only a decade ago that same-sex marriage was illegal in the United States, and was even decried by many as some kind of abomination.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/mar/26/gay-marriage-supreme-court-defeatism

It really is a bit shocking how quickly gay marriage transformed from being a fringe, politically toxic position just a few years ago to a virtual piety that must be affirmed in decent company. Whenever I write or speak about any of the issues on which I focus, I always emphasize that a posture of defeatism - which is a form of learned impotence: a belief that meaningful change is impossible - is misguided. This demonstrates why that is true: even the most ossified biases and entrenched institutional injustices can be subverted - if the necessary passion and will are summoned and the right strategies found.

Still, this is a momentous change in both public opinion and law that affects - and improves - the lives of millions of people (DOMA is what prevents me, and thousands of other gay Americans, from living in the US with my spouse, while the legal and social stigma of officially sanctioned inequality is, by itself, devastating for gay children). The discrimination has been rooted in centuries of intense social and religious indoctrination. That this is now being uprooted is a testament to how core political liberties - free speech and free associational rights - can enable all forms of political change. That same type of rapid and previously unthinkable change is visible with other unjust laws: oppressive drug prohibition being the leading example. But one can easily find all sorts of examples from American history and the recent history of other countries which reflect the same truth: radical, positive, and relatively fast political change is always possible, no matter how formidable the obstacles seem.

And Greenwald was right. The Supreme Court showed us that the basic respect for human, individual rights that underpins the Constitution sometimes allows the Court to nudge people in the direction of justice and righteousness. And the project didn't end there: respect for the rights of other gender and sexual minorities needed to follow, and we are slowly but surely getting there.

It is easy to laugh about "Pride" Month - what, a whole month? If you were born that way, what's to be proud of; it's not an achievement, it's merely a status. But it's really not so hard to understand. We may be proud that by an accident of birth we are Irish-American, African American, Native American, etc. -- all groups that faced the scourge of discrimination that now come proudly forward to say this is who I am, and this is who we are as Americans.

So yes. Take a moment and honor social progress. Take all month if that's what you need.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I got a selfie with a ladyboy in Thailand that was about 6'3", so I guess I've been part of the alphabet team for a while now.

Then I had to pay 50 bhat, so I guess that makes me a regular street John.  What letter do I get for that? D for dummy?

7 minutes ago, ScotSHO said:

I got a selfie with a ladyboy in Thailand that was about 6'3", so I guess I've been part of the alphabet team for a while now.

Then I had to pay 50 bhat, so I guess that makes me a regular street John.  What letter do I get for that? D for dummy?

P for Perv

3 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Here's journalist Glenn Greenwald just 11 short years ago, right after the Windsor decision dragged a large part of America into the modern age.  It may be a good time to remember that it is only a decade ago that same-sex marriage was illegal in the United States, and was even decried by many as some kind of abomination.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/mar/26/gay-marriage-supreme-court-defeatism

It really is a bit shocking how quickly gay marriage transformed from being a fringe, politically toxic position just a few years ago to a virtual piety that must be affirmed in decent company. Whenever I write or speak about any of the issues on which I focus, I always emphasize that a posture of defeatism - which is a form of learned impotence: a belief that meaningful change is impossible - is misguided. This demonstrates why that is true: even the most ossified biases and entrenched institutional injustices can be subverted - if the necessary passion and will are summoned and the right strategies found.

Still, this is a momentous change in both public opinion and law that affects - and improves - the lives of millions of people (DOMA is what prevents me, and thousands of other gay Americans, from living in the US with my spouse, while the legal and social stigma of officially sanctioned inequality is, by itself, devastating for gay children). The discrimination has been rooted in centuries of intense social and religious indoctrination. That this is now being uprooted is a testament to how core political liberties - free speech and free associational rights - can enable all forms of political change. That same type of rapid and previously unthinkable change is visible with other unjust laws: oppressive drug prohibition being the leading example. But one can easily find all sorts of examples from American history and the recent history of other countries which reflect the same truth: radical, positive, and relatively fast political change is always possible, no matter how formidable the obstacles seem.

And Greenwald was right. The Supreme Court showed us that the basic respect for human, individual rights that underpins the Constitution sometimes allows the Court to nudge people in the direction of justice and righteousness. And the project didn't end there: respect for the rights of other gender and sexual minorities needed to follow, and we are slowly but surely getting there.

It is easy to laugh about "Pride" Month - what, a whole month? If you were born that way, what's to be proud of; it's not an achievement, it's merely a status. But it's really not so hard to understand. We may be proud that by an accident of birth we are Irish-American, African American, Native American, etc. -- all groups that faced the scourge of discrimination that now come proudly forward to say this is who I am, and this is who we are as Americans.

So yes. Take a moment and honor social progress. Take all month if that's what you need.

What’s so funny ‘bout peace, love and understanding?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JDHillFan said:

Fredericton and their paint crew are going to honor social change, for a month if that’s what it takes, by pretending. Exceptionally well done Frederictonians! 

Ooh, busted! 

That Sean Davis is right on top of the story. It appears that a local new photographer missed the actual painting and suggested that one of the crew should do a little reenactment.

Not just Fraud! Gay fraud!

Kind of like the fake "Trump gives a thumbs up to nonexistent fans" posts we've been seeing here ...

Just now, The Frankish Reich said:

Ooh, busted! 

That Sean Davis is right on top of the story. It appears that a local new photographer missed the actual painting and suggested that one of the crew should do a little reenactment.

Not just Fraud! Gay fraud!

Kind of like the fake "Trump gives a thumbs up to nonexistent fans" posts we've been seeing here ...

Solid, dare I say, reliable reporting from you on how the Fredericton event went down. The pretend painter(s) of Fredericton thank you for your support even if it’s for less than a whole month. 

17 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

Solid, dare I say, reliable reporting from you on how the Fredericton event went down. The pretend painter(s) of Fredericton thank you for your support even if it’s for less than a whole month. 

I trust Sean Davis will blow the lid off all that "could you hoist that Stanley Cup up again so we can get a good shot of you holding it" photos.

Fake! Deep Gay Fake!

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I trust Sean Davis will blow the lid off all that "could you hoist that Stanley Cup up again so we can get a good shot of you holding it" photos.

Fake! Deep Gay Fake!

You already got to the bottom of it with your reliable reporting from Nova Scotia. Bottom line TFR > SD. 

edit - New Brunswick. Six of one…

Edited by JDHillFan
  • Haha (+1) 1