Josh Allen spent the offseason eating chips, golfing, and refining his throwing motion

Trying to tweak the mechanics on his throwing motion that is ingrained into him from youth, is probably going to mess up some of his throws.  Hope not obviously.

2 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Trying to tweak the mechanics on his throwing motion that is ingrained into him from youth, is probably going to mess up some of his throws.  Hope not obviously.

He's done this several times already. Well documented.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, zow2 said:

There's a difference between minor tweaks and a more general overhaul.  Coaches for years looked at Rivers throwing and said, "That's horrible," but everyone knew that trying to get him to switch to a more classic throwing motion would be a mistake.

Pitchers tweak their mechanics all the time.  

Favre tweaked his mechanics all the way to the Hall of Fame.  

Golfers do it. 

Baseball hitters do it. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

His problems the last two years were not only with his release. When you have an injury change one thing, other things in the biomechanical chain change to attempt to compensate with the problem. 

Yes,  his mechanics had some problems. And yes, injuries were likely some of the problem. But there's no particular reason to think it was all of the problem beyond our perhaps wishing it was all of the problem.

"Allen told reporters that this isn’t a broad change of his mechanics akin to what he implemented between the 2019 and 2020 seasons, but rather an adjustment sparked by discomfort he felt down the stretch of the 2023 campaign.

I wouldn’t call it a complete overhaul of my throwing motion, but definitely some things to work on and clean up, especially getting long with my arm and a little bit with my stride,” Allen said. “Just trying to clean that up—anytime you go through something like that, sometimes it’s going to feel really good, sometimes it’s not going to feel really good. It’s just like changing a swing in golf, but as long as you’re trusting it and you keep working on it each and every day, results will come."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/bills-qb-josh-allen-again-digitally-mapping-throwing-motion-to-tweak-mechanics/ar-BB1o6Gwj

He worked with Hess in 2019 and 2020, and now before 2024.

He had problems with injury changing his mechanics in the 2022 season as well, but after that season he didn't .... Hmmm.

Yes his release did not go to complete crap .. of course he's not completely overhauling it... That would actually be disaster... That's why I said clean up any inefficiencies... It's about cleaning up 

What I did notice.. and what I mentioned to @Beck Water was that his release was getting longer then it ever has

He was starting to get a noticeable elongation which I figured was due to his elbow injury and discomfort... By the end of 2023 it was really noticeable to me 

And that's something that needs to get cleaned up which is why he is working on it 

When Cam Newton got his messed up shoulder... It completely messed up his throwing motion and he never threw a football the same way

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

On 6/11/2024 at 3:40 PM, JerseyBills said:

Why did he stop working with Palmer, I mean he has earned that right of course, just curious 

I’d guess Palmer is like the Sabres Don Granato … good at young player development, but not the guy to refine you for the next step. I think Josh is well past the development stage 

On 6/13/2024 at 11:09 AM, zow2 said:

I've thought that too.  But Allen seems to think it helps and he's a smart guy in a position to know.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.