Crazy stat on Josh Allen rushing TDs

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Discuss.

Personally, I think he should preserve his body a bit and Share the Love

15 rushing TDs is insane for a QB especially since they weren’t all from half a yard out. I will go to my grave knowing Allen got robbed out of the MVP last year. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 12
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Discuss.

Personally, I think he should preserve his body a bit and Share the Love

Josh's passing TDs were down a bit, but I thought that didn't tell the full story of how the offense as a whole had more run/pass balance and Allen tacked on a lot of those rushing TDs.

Allen puts defenders in conflict when he rolls out or he can take it up the gut if the second level opens up.

With him taking more outlet options underneath (dumps to Cook or Shakir) for RAC rather than eyes pinned deep waiting for those to open up, it makes those moves even harder to defend.

Would rather see the bruising short yardage keepers go to a RB that can get those tough yards and spare him some of that abuse.

• Agree 3

10 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

15 rushing TDs is insane for a QB especially since they weren’t all from half a yard out. I will go to my grave knowing Allen got robbed out of the MVP last year. 

I agree...all the mvp voters care about is how few interceptions you have.

• Agree 5

2 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Allen didn't get robbed because McCaffery should have won. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Traditional passer rating maters for a QB to win the award. That will always be something that hurts Josh's chances. 

3 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

He’s been robbed twice IMO. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, WideNine said:

Josh's passing TDs were down a bit, but I thought that didn't tell the full story of how the offense as a whole had more run/pass balance and Allen tacked on a lot of those rushing TDs.

Allen puts defenders in conflict when he rolls out or he can take it up the gut if the second level opens up.

With him taking more outlet options underneath (dumps to Cook or Shakir) for RAC rather than eyes pinned deep waiting for those to open up, it makes those moves even harder to defend.

Would rather see the bruising short yardage keepers go to a RB that can get those tough yards and spare him some of that abuse.

THis year will be a good test without Diggs.  I think Diggs was able to clear the middle taking two defenders with him.  This opened some serious holes up the middle for Josh to scamper and then bull rush people.   Without Diggs, will our WRs get double-teamed and will they be able to create space for Josh

6 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Passing TD and INT probably play the biggest role in MVP voting (for QBs)  as it measures "How good were you" and "How bad were you".   You don't want your MVP to be ever called out for the "How bad were you".   

IMHO, MVP  of the league is  kinda hard to judge without statistics as they are not really playing for the league.  MVP of a team makes a lot more sense

• Like (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, ganesh said:

THis year will be a good test without Diggs.  I think Diggs was able to clear the middle taking two defenders with him.  This opened some serious holes up the middle for Josh to scamper and then bull rush people.   Without Diggs, will our WRs get double-teamed and will they be able to create space for Josh

Passing TD and INT probably play the biggest role in MVP voting (for QBs)  as it measures "How good were you" and "How bad were you".   You don't want your MVP to be ever called out for the "How bad were you".   

IMHO, MVP  of the league is  kinda hard to judge without statistics as they are not really playing for the league.  MVP of a team makes a lot more sense

That will be interesting as I thought I heard Marino and others mention that less teams were doubling Diggs last year.

We will see, I think receiver by committee is the best approach, but QBs will always favor anyone who is clutch for them whenever they need that kind of a play.

That's why you always try to take their primary away to force them out of that safety blanket...

Easier said than done apparently. I am still baffled by how much Kelce gets wide open. Nike must have some kind of radar absorbent material he wears.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, WideNine said:

Easier said than done apparently. I am still baffled by how much Kelce gets wide open. Nike must have some kind of radar absorbent material he wears.

When Tyreek was playing for the Chiefs,  it was hard to double team both Kelce and Hill.  

Last year, teams double teamed Kelce and that allowed Rice to make plays outside.  

Gabe Davis, Knox all benefitted from Diggs getting double teamed. 

Brady should experiment with putting his fastest players on the field...Samuel,  Dalton and Cook.  It will be hard to defend all of them at the same time and not to forget the threat Josh poses.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, jaybills said:

Allen didn't get robbed because McCaffery should have won. 

Aiuk and Deebo and Kittle - San Fran is loaded with premier player

Edited by Pete
  • Like (+1) 2

All Josh needs is a SB and then the talk becomes: Is Josh Allen the greatest all-around QB of all time?

Dude is 22 away from tying Cam for most rushing TDs by a QB, and set the single season record for QBs in a season last year with 15. He still has so much gas in the tank, and when he eclipses 100, they'll be looking for Mahomes' and Brady's rushing TDs in the discussion. 

All he needs is 1 SB for the talk to be legit as THE all time great. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The only question with Josh Allen is how long his body will hold-up at this level.

Barring some kind of catastrophe, he will easily become the Buffalo Bills all-time touchdown leader in BOTH passing and rushing... surpassing three first-ballot Hall of Fame players in Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas and OJ Simpson.  That's impressive by itself.

The real question is... How close can he get to the all-time NFL record?

He's currently got 220 touchdowns in 6 seasons (averaging out to roughly 36 per year).  By far, it's the best pace any QB has been on in the history of the NFL.  That includes Patrick Mahomes.

- At this current pace, it would take him just over 11 more years to surpass Tom Brady with 624 TDs.  He would be 39 years old.  Assuming that Aaron Rodgers continues moving up the touchdown list himself, Allen would need 8 years at the current pace to reach the Top 5 and surpass Brett Favre's 508 TDs.  He would be 36 years old.

- If he can average 30 TDs per year for the remainder of his career, it would take him just over 13 more seasons to surpass Brady (41 years old) and just over 9 seasons to surpass Favre (37 years old).

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, WideNine said:

That will be interesting as I thought I heard Marino and others mention that less teams were doubling Diggs last year.

That's certainly what Snead said.  Cosell said the "truth on tape" is that Diggs isn't a #1 receiver in the NFL at this point in his career.

We will see, I think receiver by committee is the best approach, but QBs will always favor anyone who is clutch for them whenever they need that kind of a play.

For a good defense, you need at least 2 WR who are clutch.  I think the truth is that the Bills haven't had 2 receivers who were clutch for them since 2021, when Beasley was released.

Kelce gets open 2 ways.  One is that, like Beasley, he has great release moves and a PhD in football that allows him to study how defenses play zone and find the weak spot, then be on the same page with his QB in secondary route concepts ("scramble drills" with purpose).  If there are other receivers to worry about, and Mahomes can extend the play, that's very hard to defend.  

The second is the same way Gronk did: he pushes TF off, he's reasonably subtle about it, and the refs never call it.  When you got a 250 lb tank with a 200 lb Nickel trying to cover him, a bit of push goes a ways

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.