Mandatory Minicamp

Process

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

One update from Matt Parrino and this isn't going to make the WR pessimists happy:

My biggest takeaway is that a lot of WRs are getting reps with Josh Allen. So far we've heard Claypool, Shavers, Isabella, and Hamler all getting targets from Allen today. This room is quite a jumbled mess right now... Hopefully the cream rises to the top in training camp but early returns are not good.

I think that this had to be expected. The offense is going to have a lot of work to do this offseason, especially with a good number of newer players.

There's no reason to think that these receivers will put it altogether, but it's going to take time.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I don't want to read too much into individual reps but it's hard not to be concerned. Right now who is the best outside WR on the roster? I honestly have no clue and it sounds like the team doesn't know either because a lot of WRs are getting reps with the starting offense. 

We Are Doomed Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Thank you (+1) 1

Minicamp is supposed to be the EASIEST time to catch passes, as there are no pads, minimal contact is allowed, and no one is really going full speed.

As such, it's.....less than ideal to hear that the island of misfit toys was busy dropping passes today.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

Minicamp is supposed to be the EASIEST time to catch passes, as there are no pads, minimal contact is allowed, and no one is really going full speed.

As such, it's.....less than ideal to hear that the island of misfit toys was busy dropping passes today.

Haven't heard anything about Coleman yet. Not sure he's hit the field. Probably needs to start running a day early to arrive at the same time as everyone else.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 10

2 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Christian Benford is missing the first day, the same exact way Stefon Diggs did last year.

Coincidence? 

Stef was EXCUSED for a family matter?

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Such an interesting way to word it. A jumbled mess? Why call it a mess? Everyone always gets reps in mini camps.

This place is hilarious.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Let's just forefit the season already.

This ******* board...

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

This ******* board...

Oftentimes on this forum, even the LEAST amount of non-positivity is met with an over-the-top response shooting it down and acting bent out of shape that anyone dared to do anything other than sing the Shout song.

I simply said it's less than ideal to have our new group of wide receivers dropping passes in minicamp.

I didn't say that it was a huge deal, or that the sky is falling, or even that I was particularly concerned. I simply said that it was less than ideal. For such a benign and -- let's face it -- objectively true statement to be met with a "let's just forfeit the season. This ***** board" response, like....c'mon man.

I'm one of the most optimistic Bills fans you'll ever find. Go back through my post history and 95% of everything I've ever posted has been positive and optimistic. But believe it or not, it's OKAY to not always be sunshine and roses. It's OKAY to think to one's self "Gosh I wish our plethora of new wide receivers weren't dropping passes, considering our team has been plagued by dropped passes for several years running". It doesn't need to be a THING, ya know?

This ***** board...

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

I think that this had to be expected. The offense is going to have a lot of work to do this offseason, especially with a good number of newer players.

There's no reason to think that these receivers will put it altogether, but it's going to take time.

Isn't that what they are supposed to do in OTA, Mini and Training Camps.  I thought these are the places to TRY and EXPERIMENT.

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I don't want to read too much into individual reps but it's hard not to be concerned. Right now who is the best outside WR on the roster? I honestly have no clue and it sounds like the team doesn't know either because a lot of WRs are getting reps with the starting offense. 

probably punt on first down to be safe.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

This ******* board...

I don't know about that...but we should at least look into trading Josh Allen and unloading his huge contract before season starts.   He's thrown a multiple interceptions already during OTAs and minicamp, meanwhile Turbo Mitch is lighting it up.   

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Isn't that what they are supposed to do in OTA, Mini and Training Camps.  I thought these are the places to TRY and EXPERIMENT.

Who's saying that they aren't doing that?

4 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Late to the party but piggy backing off of this:

A lot of these names with miscommunications are also guys that aren’t likely to be stepping right in and catching passes in real action in all likelihood. Mentions of Shavers, Hamler, Shorter, etc are likely making the team (if at all) as a 6th WR and ST guy. Even the Isabella praise at this point is just meh. 

As you mention, guys like MVS, Claypool and Hollins are newcomers and adjusting after minimal time on task.

Additionally, this is the first full year incorporating a Brady-led offense. There is expected to be a learning curve.

In my time in football, our coaches would instill in the players that there are no bad reps. You can have lazy reps, or waste reps which aren’t acceptable, but mistakes and errors at this point in the season are learning opportunities. Maximizing practice reps, while getting minimal initial feedback on the field, is ideal for making the most out of the time of the field and getting into the gritty details in the film room.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.