Mandatory Minicamp

Process

One more update from Matt Parrino:

- Really nice interception by rookie UDFA Te’Cory Couch against Buechele. He ripped the ball away from WR Xavier Johnson and the defense went nuts in celebration.

- the Bills closed with two-minute offense and they started to make some plays. Important to note that the lines were playing 50% speed. Allen completed five passes to move the Bills down for a FG.

- Trubisky came in & led the offense down for a TD. Claypool had a nice long catch to move the ball down the field and then Hamler had a grab. Then Zach Davidson made a sensational grab for a TD and then twerked in celebration. It was a mixed reaction on sideline to the cele 😂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

I'll get far more worried if they're still struggling a lot to put it together once we're past a preseason game or two. Right now with all the new moving parts and Brady installing his variation of the system, feels about right. Plus it's not like our defense hasn't generally been good and knowing it's system for forever.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Unbelievable. 

We had no major injuries or guys playing hurt for 2 years n now it's year after year. 

It's probably nothing but this trend has to end.. 

Cost us a trip to the AFC title gm last year for sure

I'm a huge believer Shakir is going to explode on the scene and one of the reasons Diggs was traded

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

59 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Sounds like Allen put in work this offseason.

MVP coming?

nonsense-the-office.gif

Pssshhh. Everyone knows this guy is only doing 12 ounce curls, splitting his pants, and swinging his irons in the offseason. :rolleyes:

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

One more update from Matt Parrino:

One thing with the new kickoff rule and Zach Davidson, coaches speculate that kickers will be significantly more involved with tackles now, due to rule changes. 

Davidson is a former Punter and could hold up better to the physicality. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFooteball said:

It’s early but I find this concerning especially with questions most of us had at WR going into season. I believe it’s a bottom of the end group in the league and hearing a bill reporters say they looked like a mess, poor routes, dropped passes isn’t really reassuring 

I don't want to read too much into individual reps but it's hard not to be concerned. Right now who is the best outside WR on the roster? I honestly have no clue and it sounds like the team doesn't know either because a lot of WRs are getting reps with the starting offense. 

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't want to read too much into individual reps but it's hard not to be concerned. Right now who is the best outside WR on the roster? I honestly have no clue and it sounds like the team doesn't know either because a lot of WRs are getting reps with the starting offense. 

By all early reports the only one who has been sticking out in a positive light is Claypool 

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

One update from Matt Parrino and this isn't going to make the WR pessimists happy:

My biggest takeaway is that a lot of WRs are getting reps with Josh Allen. So far we've heard Claypool, Shavers, Isabella, and Hamler all getting targets from Allen today. This room is quite a jumbled mess right now... Hopefully the cream rises to the top in training camp but early returns are not good.

To steal from the Iverson quote: "You talking 'bout practice ." 

Not even full practice, we are talking about no pads minicamp with a new OC (and likely a new offense install) with more than half of the WR room replaced. I'd be more surprised if there weren't early struggles.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Only things I'm concerned with from today are the Shakir injury and Cook still not knowing how to catch. 

5 out of our top 6 WRs are new to the team. That's unheard of. I expect them to look like a mess in June. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

It's Mini Camp.  On top of that, the media has only been able to see 1 practice a week while not being allowed at the rest of them.  So, we honestly don't know whether these offensive struggles are just a coincidence to be happening on those media days or if they have been plaguing us all camp.  That said, it is frustrating as a fan to hear week after week on every media day about just how bad the offense looks.  I believe the very first practice the media was there they said the offense looked good.  After that, though, it's been pretty bleak.  Obviously, we have to take it with a grain of salt because as stated, it is just Mini Camp and the media has only seen 4 practices total.

That said, if the offense has been struggling day in and day out, it hasn't gone unnoticed by Beane.  If the WRs are as bad as being reported, I would fully expect Beane to be watching the wire through Training Camp to see what vets might shake free or come available for trade.  While we don't have a ton of cap space, we do have a little bit to play with if need be.  Guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.  We'll know a lot more in a month or so when camp starts and we can watch every practice for ourselves to see where things are at.

The biggest thing I took out of today was Milano being back in the mix.  That is great news heading into camp.  Now we just need to find a way to survive the next month or so with nobody getting injured or arrested before they report to SJF.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Unbelievable. 

We had no major injuries or guys playing hurt for 2 years n now it's year after year. 

It's probably nothing but this trend has to end.. 

Cost us a trip to the AFC title gm last year for sure

I'm a huge believer Shakir is going to explode on the scene and one of the reasons Diggs was traded

Never mention injuries. Its a jinx.

1 hour ago, BillsFooteball said:

It’s early but I find this concerning especially with questions most of us had at WR going into season. I believe it’s a bottom of the end group in the league and hearing a bill reporters say they looked like a mess, poor routes, dropped passes isn’t really reassuring 

It's early, and defense is always ahead of Offense, now in Preseason games is a time to get concerned.

John

50 minutes ago, H2o said:

nonsense-the-office.gif

Pssshhh. Everyone knows this guy is only doing 12 ounce curls, splitting his pants, and swinging his irons in the offseason. :rolleyes:

I heard he was eating chips too.

• Haha (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, sven233 said:

If the WRs are as bad as being reported, I would fully expect Beane to be watching the wire through Training Camp to see what vets might shake free or come available for trade.

We've already signed all the waiver wire all stars, that's probably not gonna get it done. We might get deep into training camp and realize we don't have a starting caliber outside WR on the roster. That's what we need.

A trade for an established talent is going to be our only saving grace. Hopefully Beane is ready to pull the trigger if we're at preseason game 1 and still don't have a clear cut WR depth chart.

• Vomit 1

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

One update from Matt Parrino and this isn't going to make the WR pessimists happy:

My biggest takeaway is that a lot of WRs are getting reps with Josh Allen. So far we've heard Claypool, Shavers, Isabella, and Hamler all getting targets from Allen today. This room is quite a jumbled mess right now... Hopefully the cream rises to the top in training camp but early returns are not good.

Can I panic yet

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Such an interesting way to word it. A jumbled mess? Why call it a mess? Everyone always gets reps in mini camps.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.