Buffalo's Mike Williams

Growing up Mike Williams did not consider himself a fan of the Syracuse football program. But the new coaching staff first peaked his interest and a recent visit sold him on the Orange. The wide receiver from Buffalo (N.Y.) Riverside became SU's first pledge from the Class of 2006.

"I had visited Syracuse with my mom and we were just like 'wow'," Williams expressed. "We really liked it. And then I received an offer from Syracuse a few weeks ago."

"Me and my mom just decided it was time to make a decision," he added. "The Syracuse coaches were excited. They said they feel like I fit in there."

Wisconsin, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Toledo and Temple had also extended scholarship offers at the time of his commitment.

Williams is the third New York wide receiver that Greg Robinson's staff has landed since taking over. Four-star prospect Lavar Lobdell and Bruce Williams from Christian Brothers Academy signed with the Orange in February.

"I really like the staff (at Syracuse) because almost all of them have experience coaching in the NFL," Williams said. "Since it's a new coaching staff I feel like I will have a chance to come in and compete for a spot."

A first-team all-Western New York honoree, Williams accounted for 14 touchdowns as a junior.

"Mike is a phenomenal wide receiver and Syracuse wants to use him to improve their vertical passing game," Riverside head coach Tony Truilizio told Mike Farrell of Rivals100.com. "He's a downfield receiver with his size and quickness."

"I'm just quicker and smarter than most receivers at the high school level," Williams added. "I don't try to patent my play after anyone else; I just have my own style I guess."

Williams recently attended a summer camp at Pittsburgh, where he clocked in with a 4.49 hand timed forty. "I was also going to go to Syracuse's camp but I changed my mind," he said. "I am just going to stay here, hit the weights and work on my speed."

Williams also has hopes to walk-on to the basketball team at Syracuse. He is friends with Syracuse's number one basketball recruiting target for 2006, Paul Harris.

Academically, Williams currently maintains a 78 GPA and he recently took the SAT.