Rodgers not at mandatory minicamp

Gregg

15 hours ago, Gregg said:

JD and Saleh better hope Rodgers can stay healthy. Another bad year and the Jets will clean house. Cowboys HC McCarthy is probably the only other coach whose seat is just as hot as Saleh's. Jerry was pissed with that blowout loss to GB last season and McCarthy is coaching without a contract extension beyond 2024. The numbers for JD and Saleh tell the story.

Joe Douglas is 27 - 56 as GM

Robert Saleh is 18 - 33 as HC

Agree they are both on the hotseat. They are at the stage where I think a winning season but no playoffs wouldn't save them. It is post-season or bust. And if they go say 10-7 on the back of a decent year by Rodgers but are blown out...... well given ARod isn't coming back in 2025 by most reports then there is the potential that would still result in firings. 

• Agree 3

It's kind of amazing last year in the media all the ridiculous pre-season hype Jets were going to the SB and this year with pretty much the same team the forecast is so much less optimistic even assuming Rodgers is healthy

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, stevewin said:

It's kind of amazing last year in the media all the ridiculous pre-season hype Jets were going to the SB and this year with pretty much the same team the forecast is so much less optimistic even assuming Rodgers is healthy

They are being hyped up here in the NYC area. The hype will only get bigger once we get to TC and preseason.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, stevewin said:

They're getting a lot of hype. I think it's somewhat muted because it's sort of predicated on Rodgers and the history for QBs 40 and over lasting a whole season is really, really bad. I believe only 2 QBs have played a full season at the age of 40 and over (Favre and Brady). QBS over 40 have also suffered depleted stats compared to previously in their careers. Losing Rodgers again after all his drama would be a rough mental blow even if Tyrod Taylor is probably a perfect backup for that team.

Edited by Malazan
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Malazan said:

They're getting a lot of hype. I think it's somewhat muted because it's sort of predicated on Rodgers and the history for QBs 40 and over lasting a whole season is really, really bad. I believe only 2 QBs have played a full season at the age of 40 and over (Favre and Brady). They're stats also aren't as great as previously in their careers. Losing Rodgers again after all his drama would be a rough mental blow even if Tyrod Taylor is probably a perfect backup for that team.

I would say there is a good chance he misses some time. 40 going into the season and coming off a serious Achillies injury. The Jets OL is really going to have to protect him well. Rodgers can't avoid the rush running like Allen does.

6 hours ago, Gregg said:

They are being hyped up here in the NYC area. The hype will only get bigger once we get to TC and preseason.

I think what stevewin means is that at other times when the Jests had even modest prospects -- like a winning streak at the end of the previous season or a good draft -- Super Bowl dreams among New York media and Jests fans exploded like dandelions in the spring long before TC, even outside of the NY Metro.  That kind of preseason hype has been around for decades ... and it certainly seems much more muted this season.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, stevewin said:

…and we’re not sure what he’s got left at all. He’s not just a year older, he’s TWO years older than the last time we saw him really play football. We have no idea what he was capable of LAST year. But I hope he’s having a nice trip. 

Edited by Augie

3 hours ago, Augie said:

…and we’re not sure what he’s got left at all. He’s not just a year older, he’s TWO years older than the last time we saw him really play football. We have no idea what he was capable of LAST year. But I hope he’s having a nice trip.

A-a-ron has a lot of nice trips.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

The Katana just brings this outfit together, doesn’t it? 🙈 I’m sure all of Tokyo was aflutter about the new warlord come to claim what is rightfully his. 🤔

Almost as cringey as someone showing up in lederhosen and Alpine hat in downtown Hamburg Germany. (If you know, you know). 

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12

6 hours ago, Augie said:

And two years ago, he was not playing great. He had a few nice throws in the preseason last year, I guess? But its not a given he’s suddenly MVP level Aaron Rodgers 

On 6/21/2024 at 4:03 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Maybe someone stole Haanson's wallet and he bought local attire?

Reminds me of scene in National Lampoon's European Vaca where they buy the local German(?) clothing.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 6/21/2024 at 8:49 AM, stevewin said:

That's because there's considerable uncertainty as to whether:

1) Rodgers will be able to return to play at QB by the start of the regular season?

2) If he does RTP, will he be playing at a comparable top level?  It's been noted that it can take a year of lowered level of play before the player returns to form

3) If he does RTP and play at a top level, will he hold up all season?

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

That's because there's considerable uncertainty as to whether:

1) Rodgers will be able to return to play at QB by the start of the regular season?

2) If he does RTP, will he be playing at a comparable top level?  It's been noted that it can take a year of lowered level of play before the player returns to form

3) If he does RTP and play at a top level, will he hold up all season?

The third one is very dependent on their OL. They have a run game and defense to lean on against weaker teams but if they are going to toe to toe with the better QBs, he will need to be protected. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

The third one is very dependent on their OL. They have a run game and defense to lean on against weaker teams but if they are going to toe to toe with the better QBs, he will need to be protected. 

I wasn't even thinking specifically of protection, but of whether at >40 yrs old Rodgers can get through a season without, for example, soft tissue injuries that supposedly increase in frequency with age