Steelers sign head coach Mike Tomlin to 3-year contract extension

dpberr

He has done quite well for the Steelers considering they have had jags for QBs since Ben left.

I wish the Bills had done as well after Kelly left, we wouldn’t have had a seventeen year playoff drought if he had been our coach, 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Tomlin won 2 superbowls with Big Ben. 

So what is McDermotts excuse ? He has Josh

Bills team with Josh is every bit as good as the steelers superbowl team with Big Ben

Tomlin won one Super Bowl.  Big Ben's first Super Bowl was Cowher's last year.  

McDermott's defenses have folded in the playoffs.  We just haven't been good enough.  Pittsburgh's front 7 back in the early Tomlin years was much more dominant then the Bills front 7.  They had James Harrison, James Farrior Lamar Woodley Casey Hampton Lawrence Timmons, Brett Keisel etc.  Just a better unit then ours.  We had Tremaine Edmunds Jordan Phillips, Shaq Lawson etc.  You get the picture.  And last year when we finally had studs at LB in Milano and Bernard, they and a bunch of other guys were injured in the playoffs.

Tomlin's teams the past many years have not been very good.  They haven't sucked.  But they have not been contenders.  But Tomlin will be there a while.  That's Pittsburgh's way.  Unless they are 5-12, the Steelers will continue to be what they are.  And that's fine with me.  Because we have always matched up well against them since McDermott has been our head coach.

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, Gregg said:

His defense is legit nasty led by Watt. That whole division is nasty. Four teams who really hate each other and beat the crap out of one another. You could make the argument it's the toughest division in football.

I agree with that, and he does usually field a good or excellent defense.  But the lack of vision and progress on the offense makes me think Tomlin doesn't have what it takes to field an excellent team, with a dynamic offense.

But he is young so may eventually get there--or, with enough years, may just back into another championship.

• 1 month later...

Didnt need a whole new thread for this, but saw on ESPN Get Up! this morning. Their trivia question:

Q: Who is the only active HC to have a winning record against Mike Tomlin (min. 5 games)?

A: Former college teammate, Sean McDermott. 4-1

Neat to have our guy mentioned. However, that is just the post-Ben era. Similar to our recent record against the post-Brady Pats.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/10/2024 at 5:01 PM, GunnerBill said:

I would have. The problem in Pittsburgh is Quarterbacking not coaching.

Definitely true but at some point that’s gotta reflect on someone in the front office/the coach lol if this was a short term issue I’d give him full benefit of the doubt 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

39 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Definitely true but at some point that’s gotta reflect on someone in the front office/the coach lol if this was a short term issue I’d give him full benefit of the doubt 

Tomlin does not have personnel control in Pittsburgh. It isn't on him. 

On 6/11/2024 at 3:40 AM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The defense failed Josh vs Mahomes in the playoffs. Defense didn’t play good vs Cincinnati but Josh Allen was bad as well.

The only AFC team to stop Mahomes in the playoffs did it for a half, the Bengals. The Chiefs average 30 points a game in the playoffs since 2018.

So what's the solution.  Ask Sean to build a different style of defense designed to stop Mahomes & Burrow.  We haven't had a healthy elite pass rusher since the day 17 was drafted. Every single year in the playoffs it's a different defensive excuse.  Against Houston we petered at the end.  2 straight years Leslie's defense gets shredded.  In the blink of an eye (the Hamlin chaos year) we trailed Cincy 14-0 by the time I returned from the frig.  Even if Bass makes that kick we're still losing because 50% of our defense crumbles to injuries. 

What's the solution? Start practicing NBA load management for our defense? Actually draft players who can get to Mahomes?  I'm all ears....

On 6/10/2024 at 4:37 PM, mushypeaches said:

It’s like most other situations. Give this guy a top 10 QB and he’s a genius.  If not, then he’s trash.  Even a guy that’s been there for 17 years and never had a losing season

Typical

5 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Didnt need a whole new thread for this, but saw on ESPN Get Up! this morning. Their trivia question:

Q: Who is the only active HC to have a winning record against Mike Tomlin (min. 5 games)?

A: Former college teammate, Sean McDermott. 4-1

Neat to have our guy mentioned. However, that is just the post-Ben era. Similar to our recent record against the post-Brady Pats.

Beautiful bump