Steelers sign head coach Mike Tomlin to 3-year contract extension

dpberr

22 minutes ago, Ray Stonada said:

This. Also the playoffs are the most important litmus. That's when the rubber hits the road. Josh Allen has played his best football in the playoffs. McD's defenses have looked worse in the postseason than the regular.  

About Tomlin, he's 0-4 in the playoffs since 2016. He is a good coach but he needs a QB, fast.

The defense failed Josh vs Mahomes in the playoffs. Defense didn’t play good vs Cincinnati but Josh Allen was bad as well.

The only AFC team to stop Mahomes in the playoffs did it for a half, the Bengals. The Chiefs average 30 points a game in the playoffs since 2018.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The defense failed Josh vs Mahomes in the playoffs. Defense didn’t play good vs Cincinnati but Josh Allen was bad as well.

The only AFC team to stop Mahomes in the playoffs did it for a half, the Bengals. The Chiefs average 30 points a game in the playoffs since 2018.

Cincinnati was a bad game all around, team failure, so I don't count that. 

Defense didn't play well against Texans, Colts in the playoffs. They got shredded by the Chiefs 3 times.

They did well against Lamar in the wind game against the Ravens. 

Played so so against the Dolphins and Steelers.

I would not say they have shown any signs of being a dominant playoff defense like legendary D's such as Ravens, Bears, etc. Hope this year shows me to be wrong though!

2 minutes ago, Ray Stonada said:

Cincinnati was a bad game all around, team failure, so I don't count that. 

Defense didn't play well against Texans, Colts in the playoffs. They got shredded by the Chiefs 3 times.

They did well against Lamar in the wind game against the Ravens. 

Played so so against the Dolphins and Steelers.

I would not say they have shown any signs of being a dominant playoff defense like legendary D's such as Ravens, Bears, etc. Hope this year shows me to be wrong though!

They aren’t a dominant defense talent wise. They’ve never been. They’ve never had players that hunt QBs. There is an argument against McDermott there because of how he rotates his DL.

Ive never believed we had a championship defense talent wise other than the start of 2022, but injuries took that away.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, buffblue said:

Are we all to believe that after 17 years in Pittsburgh Tomlin has no say so over personnel? He should at least have some culpability for their quarterback woes

They have QB woes now but for the longest time he had Ben and won a Lombardi with him. Good coaches know how to win a championship when they have an elite level QB. Tomlin is a good coach. Smart move by the Steelers.

17 minutes ago, Gregg said:

They have QB woes now but for the longest time he had Ben and won a Lombardi with him. Good coaches know how to win a championship when they have an elite level QB. Tomlin is a good coach. Smart move by the Steelers.

They won a Super Bowl 2 years prior also. I don’t think taking over a championship caliber franchise is better than what McDermott has done.

I think Tomlin is a good coach but he didn’t build anything. He even had Keith Butler there until 2022 running the defense.

Tomlin has not put a team on the field with a good offense, one that causes concern for any defensive coordinator, in many years.

I have thought they just needed a good quarterback, and that may be part of it, but I think it is more than that, and in his focus, philosophy as well.

But grrreat to hear that Tomlin thinks Russel Wilson is the answer!! And that he has already anointed him as the starter for next year.  This  means that the Steelers will not be a problem for the Bills again this coming year. Fields? Who knows what he can do, but he needs to show he can start in this league--and before the season begins.

So I am happy to hear that Tomlin may be in the AFC for several more years, for more of the same 'ol, same 'ol...

6 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

Tomlin has not put a team on the field with a good offense, one that causes concern for any defensive coordinator, in many years.

I have thought they just needed a good quarterback, and that may be part of it, but I think it is more than that, and in his focus, philosophy as well.

But grrreat to hear that Tomlin thinks Russel Wilson is the answer!! And that he has already anointed him as the starter for next year.  This  means that the Steelers will not be a problem for the Bills again this coming year. Fields? Who knows what he can do, but he needs to show he can start in this league--and before the season begins.

So I am happy to hear that Tomlin may be in the AFC for several more years, for more of the same 'ol, same 'ol...

I agree with your last statement, I give Tomlin credit for all the winning seasons yet I don't consider him a great HC.  As his teams typical fizzle come the playoffs. I realize he won a Super Bowl his first season but how many years ago was that and what have the Steelers done in the playoffs since then? 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

His defense is legit nasty led by Watt. That whole division is nasty. Four teams who really hate each other and beat the crap out of one another. You could make the argument it's the toughest division in football.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I agree with your last statement, I give Tomlin credit for all the winning seasons yet I don't consider him a great HC.  As his teams typical fizzle come the playoffs. I realize he won a Super Bowl his first season but how many years ago was that and what have the Steelers done in the playoffs since then? 

You know what’s crazy is almost every coach fizzles come playoff time.

14 hours ago, Milanos Milano said:

McD has Allen, so what’s his excuse? It’s hard to win in the NFL? 

I believe it is SB or bust for McD this year. Who knows, he has been outcoached by Reid in the playoffs.  He was allowed to replace his coordinators so the excuse cookie jar has to be empty.  I am not a McD hater but with JA 17 on your roster there is no measure other than win a Lombardi at this point.    

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Yeah, JA has not been consistent in the playoffs.  Maybe this speaks to coaching.  Hard to say.

Just now, BuffaloBill said:

I believe it is SB or bust for McD this year. Who knows, he has been outcoached by Reid in the playoffs.  He was allowed to replace his coordinators so the excuse cookie jar has to be empty.  I am not a McD hater but with JA 17 on your roster there is no measure other than win a Lombardi at this point.    

I think it's the opposite. With the Bills retooling or reshaping the roster by moving on from a lot of vets to young players/rookies. It's possible the Bills take a step back this year and look towards 2025 when they have more cap money to use to really reload the roster. I think McDermott and Beane get a pass this year but 2025 could be the year their seats get warm if it's not a good season. Terry is going to want a winning team going into the new stadium with the prices he is about to charge fans. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

We average 30pts per game over the last 3 years

9 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

We average 30pts per game over the last 3 years

Yes we have, and Mahomes and Burrow have been equal or better than Allen.

This isn’t that hard. We’re just focusing on the Bills and not their opponents. 

McDermott has no answers for these QBs in the playoffs. It’s true. I don’t know how we fix that? 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Yes we have, and Mahomes and Burrow have been equal or better than Allen.

This isn’t that hard.

Bengals average 22 points in that same span

You're right, it really isnt

10 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

He had Roethlisberger, Bell, AB, JuJu, AND Martavis Bryant all in the same locker room at the same time iirc

Just for that he deserves a Nobel peace prize

What was being "handled?" They got rid of those other guys too, didn't they?

If being "handled" just means tolerating the diva, McDermott did just as good as Tomlin with that.