Steelers sign head coach Mike Tomlin to 3-year contract extension

dpberr

4 hours ago, dpberr said:

Yes, he's 173-100 (.633 clip) but has been overseeing some mediocre seasons lately in the post Big Ben malaise.  That team hasn't recovered from the wheels falling off after that 11-0 start in 2020.  

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2024/06/10/mike-tomlin-signed-contract-extension-coach-art-rooney-ii/stories/202406100069

Tomlin won 2 superbowls with Big Ben. 

So what is McDermotts excuse ? He has Josh

Bills team with Josh is every bit as good as the steelers superbowl team with Big Ben

Edited by JakeFrommStateFarm
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Bills team with Josh is every bit as good as the steelers superbowl team with Big Ben

they also never had to play New England in the playoffs during both their runs. Had they faced them, they would have had zero super bowls. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, buffblue said:

Are we all to believe that after 17 years in Pittsburgh Tomlin has no say so over personnel? He should at least have some culpability for their quarterback woes

Come On Man!  He had Roethlisberger his entire career & when Ben left after playing too long (it's tough to jettison a HOF QB), they had to pick a QB in a bad QB draft year.  2 years of not solving the QB is hardly QB woes when the rookie replacement failed.  QB woes are the years in between going from Kelly to Allen.  Really, what could the Steelers have done differently the past few years?  The past 4 QB drafts have had pretty slim pickings, especially with the Steelers draft positions.  When you figure out how to dial up 1-800-FRANCQB, let us all know, because once an established QB retires, there's no such thing as an easy replacement, especially in recent draft years.  

Edited by Albany,n.y.

20 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:
1 hour ago, Milanos Milano said:

McD has Allen, so what’s his excuse? It’s hard to win in the NFL? 

20 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

1st Tomlin has only 1 SB win not 2.

2nd Tomlin won in a year NE got beat by someone else.  It would be no different than if Miami had knocked KC out - it opens up a path that was unavailable prior.  

3rd - Yes the Bills are just as good as Pittsburgh - which is why the Bills have 1 of the 2 best records in the entire NFL over the McDermott/Josh time and the best point differential.  McDermott is every bit as good as Tomlin over the last little bit.

Mike Tomlin is a superb coach that in 17 years has won 1 SB and has an overall 8-10 record in the playoffs.  He won the SB in a year the dynasty team was knocked out by another team and they had a bye as a #2 seed to rest - both advantages/luxuries the Bills have not had.

Sean McDermott in 7 years has a better career regular season record (.640 to .633) and a better career playoff win % (.455 to .440) and has not benefited from the #2 team getting a bye as Tomlin did and has not had their arch nemesis knocked out early yet.

I think Pittsburgh was smart to stick with Tomlin just as the Bills are smart to stick with McDermott.  As long as the Josh and the players support McDermott and play and win for him - the Bills are in a great situation.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

1st Tomlin has only 1 SB win

Only 1 Superbowl ????

Only 1 Superbowl???? How dare you !

I think every Bills Fan on this board would gladly give their left testicle for Only 1 Superbowl!

Am I right?  What if we took a poll ?

Edited by JakeFrommStateFarm
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

I love Tomlin. 

Every coach/team struggles after a HOF QB leaves the team with no one to replace him. 

Easily one of the best HC’s in the NFL. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

I love Tomlin. 

Every coach/team struggles after a HOF QB leaves the team with no one to replace him. 

Easily one of the best HC’s in the NFL. 

I think McDermott is an excellent coach.  Tomlin is one of a very few coaches I could understand letting him go over.

1 minute ago, Billl said:

I think McDermott is an excellent coach.  Tomlin is one of a very few coaches I could understand letting him go over.

If the Bills let McDermott go while Josh still has gas in the tank, then I’d want an offense-expert HC. 

It’s part of what makes Tomlin so great … being successful in an offense-heavy NFL. 

And he managed some serious divas over the years, too. 

Handled them a lot better than “you know who” has. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

the difference is Patrick Maholmes vs Matt Hasselback 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Gugny said:

If the Bills let McDermott go while Josh still has gas in the tank, then I’d want an offense-expert HC. 

It’s part of what makes Tomlin so great … being successful in an offense-heavy NFL. 

Yeah.  He’s one of the rare coaches who have both won it all with a franchise QB and been consistently competitive when he doesn’t have one.  

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Which ones? All I can think of is AB and he was traded as soon as he started acting up there. He requested a trade and they gladly obliged. Not much in terms of "handling" there...

Leveon Bell?  He just plain sat out a whole season and left. Not much in terms of "handling" there either ...

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Which ones? All I can think of is AB and he was traded as soon as he started acting up there. He requested a trade and they gladly obliged. Not much in terms of "handling" there...

Leveon Bell?  He just plain sat out a whole season and left. Not much in terms of "handling" there either ...

Yep. I stand corrected. 👍🏼

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

He had Roethlisberger, Bell, AB, JuJu, AND Martavis Bryant all in the same locker room at the same time iirc

Just for that he deserves a Nobel peace prize

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Milanos Milano said:

This is my favorite argument against McDermott. It’s my favorite because it makes zero sense.

First of all McDermott’s Bills have been one of the best teams in the NFL. Regular season wins and playoff wins, McDermott is near the top during his era. That’s besides the point.

With Josh Allen he’s only lost to teams in the playoffs that arguably had the better QB at the time. So the argument that he should win a Super Bowl with Allen just because he has Allen doesn’t stand up. 

That’s the reason firing him makes zero sense until he either misses the playoffs or loses in the playoffs to an inferior quarterback.

Firing him for losing to the best QB makes zero sense. There isn’t anyone else beating Mahomes, who are you going to hire that beats Mahomes?

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Only 1 Superbowl ????

Only 1 Superbowl???? How dare you !

I think every Bills Fan on this board would gladly give their left testicle for Only 1 Superbowl!

Am I right?  What if we took a poll ?

Yeah - no kidding, but you stated that he had won 2 SB with Ben and that was incorrect.  He did not win 2.  So the first point was to correct the stuff you got wrong.  If you had gotten your facts correct - I wouldn’t have had to even post, but you could not even count to 1 correctly.

Of course every Bills fan wants a SB, but what defines a great HC.  What makes Tomlin great and McDermott a flop - because as I look at the 2 they are very similar overall.

McDermott has won a higher % of regular season games by a small margin 0.644 to 0.633 for their careers.

McDermott has won at a better clip in the playoffs for their career - 0.455 to 0.440.

Tomlin is praised as a defense coach who has won with both Offense and Defense in an Offensive heavy NFL yet the Bills are consistently top 5 in the NFL in both Offense (points and yards) and Defense (points and yards) - so obviously McDermott is also balanced.

The difference is the 1 SB that Tomlin won in 2008 with a team that Bill Cower had won a SB with only a few years before - and that is a huge difference, but it is not like he has repeated that success since.  In fact it has been 7 years - this will be year 8 - since he has even won a playoff game.

Even legendary coaches like Andy Reid - now considered one of the best of all time - was on par with McDermott in his coaching stint in Philadelphia.

McDermott has a better regular season win % than Reid in Philly (0.640 to 0.583).

Reid had a slightly better win % in the playoffs (0.526 to 0.455).

Neither had won a SB during that stint.

Reid then goes to KC and wins at about the same clip as McDermott for his first 5 years and goes 1 - 4 in the playoffs so less of a post season win % than McDermott.  Finally in his 7th year in KC and 21st year coaching overall he wins a SB and suddenly that propels them to a couple of more.  

So yes we want a SB win and yes we want a coach to lead us there, but if it was easy to do - Tomlin in 17 years would have more than 1 and it would not have taken Reid 21 years to figure it out.  

It takes great coaching, great players, lots of luck, lots of health, lots of depth, and sometimes it takes a bit of fate having someone knock out a team that beats you - like when both KC and Pittsburgh won - neither had to go through NE who had knocked them out during other playoff runs.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Milanos Milano said:

This. Also the playoffs are the most important litmus. That's when the rubber hits the road. Josh Allen has played his best football in the playoffs. McD's defenses have looked worse in the postseason than the regular.  

About Tomlin, he's 0-4 in the playoffs since 2016. He is a good coach but he needs a QB, fast.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, dpberr said:

I wouldn't have done that.  I think he and the Steelers would both benefit from some new scenery and ideas, but hey, advantage Bills.    

Yes, he's 173-100 (.633 clip) but has been overseeing some mediocre seasons lately in the post Big Ben malaise.  That team hasn't recovered from the wheels falling off after that 11-0 start in 2020.  

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2024/06/10/mike-tomlin-signed-contract-extension-coach-art-rooney-ii/stories/202406100069

advantage Bills?