Dan Hurley Turns Down Lakers Offer

H2o

I'm happy Hurley said, "Thanks, but no thanks." You can't blame him. LeBron has gotten every single coach fired except Erik Spoelstra. And he tried to get Spoelstra fired, but Pat Riley shot it down.  

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/40321008/sources-dan-hurley-rejects-lakers-offer-stays-uconn

Dan Hurley has turned down the Los Angeles Lakers' six-year, $70 million offer and will return to chase a third straight national title at UConn, sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

The Lakers would have made Hurley one of the NBA's six highest-paid coaches. But before opening talks with the Lakers, Hurley already had an offer from UConn to become one of the highest-paid NCAA coaches, and those talks will continue, sources told Wojnarowski.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Good for him! It’s his life and he should do what makes him happy, not what makes sense to someone else’s thinking. It’s not always just money. It could be a million things, and some you might not think of. Maybe his wife loves living near family or maybe she prefers 30 games to 82. Maybe he doesn’t want to work with vets like LeBron and AD? Maybe he’s got a great class coming in and he really does want to go for 3 straight NCAA Championships. He comes from a line of coaches, and maybe that’s what drives him. 

Regardless, it must be nice to have such great options. Congrats! You earned it! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

20 minutes ago, H2o said:

I'm happy Hurley said, "Thanks, but no thanks." You can't blame him. LeBron has gotten every single coach fired except Erik Spoelstra. And he tried to get Spoelstra fired, but Pat Riley shot it down.  

.....should Bronny be thrown in the mix, Oy Vey! 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

His coaching style is great for college but I’m not sure how that would translate to the pros.  Not that he couldn’t adapt just pro athletes don’t really take to his style as much these days.  

….which is one reason I no longer watch the NBA, even the Finals, but love college hoops. 

• Agree 2

31 minutes ago, Doc said:

Let's go (for the 3-peat)!

I'm a Duke fan. BUT, the brother of Bobby Hurley has turned into a heck of a coach. Easy guy to root for imo. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Doc said:

Let's go (for the 3-peat)!

UCONN is about to lose four or five players to the NBA

Hurley did great with a big time program..  but that's even too much to overcome in a season 

They were the first two-time champion 15 years... They just don't have the dogs for the three peat

21 minutes ago, H2o said:

I'm a Duke fan. BUT, the brother of Bobby Hurley has turned into a heck of a coach. Easy guy to root for imo. :thumbsup:

Yeah.

It’s ironic as a college player Dan I think really felt in the shadow of his older brother to the point he quit playing.  Now today the roles are reversed with him and Bobby. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Yeah.

It’s ironic as a college player Dan I think really felt in the shadow of his older brother to the point he quit playing.  Now today the roles are reversed with him and Bobby. 

Yep, and in some circles the Dad is the real star of the family. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, H2o said:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/40321008/sources-dan-hurley-rejects-lakers-offer-stays-uconn

Agree. Is there a less coachable athlete than LeBron? Why go there if he won’t even let you coach? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

UCONN is about to lose four or five players to the NBA

Hurley did great with a big time program..  but that's even too much to overcome in a season 

They were the first two-time champion 15 years... They just don't have the dogs for the three peat

Probably not.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Probably not.

He definitely has the chops and recruiting talent to win two or three more at UConn though

He's going to be a problem for as long as he stays... His teams are just too big and physical

Edited by Buffalo716

Being an NBA head coach is a thankless task.   It's a sport of individuals.  

Winning at the NCAA level still brings glory.

For someone already making $5M per year getting a raise to $10M isn't life changing money.   He'll get a bump from UConn to boot.

Pretty easy decision if you have an ego like Hurley's.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Augie said:

Yep, and in some circles the Dad is the real star of the family. 

I don’t often quote myself, but we had a friend whose dad was the high school basketball coach way back when. She grew up with it, so it was natural to her. Giant men who might scare her teenage friends would show up at the front door.  

I noted that whenever he showed up at the gym, he always got respect.

My son was on an AAU team with a kid who was a STAR, dunking in 8th grade and getting offers. Started in the ACC as a freshman. His dad was a local hoops hero, and a well liked teacher. 

I found myself in a gym with the father of my son’s AAU stud, and the father of our close friend. I tried to introduce them, but the dad stopped me with “I know him, this man saved my life.” 

Edited by Augie

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

He definitely has the chops and recruiting talent to win two or three more at UConn though

He's going to be a problem for as long as he stays... His teams are just too big and physical

Yeah recruiting will continue to be good while he's there and especially while they're winning Championships.  They're in the top-3 annually.  And he's even added some talent from the local area (Bristol, CT, home of ESPN and...Aaron Hernandez).

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Being an NBA head coach is a thankless task.   It's a sport of individuals.  

Winning at the NCAA level still brings glory.

For someone already making $5M per year getting a raise to $10M isn't life changing money.   He'll get a bump from UConn to boot.

Pretty easy decision if you have an ego like Hurley's.

Plus you'd have to live in LA. No thanks.

• Agree 1

Best choice for him & UConn & the Lakers probably.

I don’t watch / follow NBA but the Lakers have gone through coaches like crazy. He’d last two years there before getting fired for things that are systemic. Or he could stay at UConn and be a legend. Hmmmm.

Going to be tougher this year with four starters going pro. But when you’ve won two champs and have the facilities and legacy of UConn, recruiting gets easier.

Clingan should’ve stayed another year to season some more. He’s going to rue it when he’s playing in the development league and then falls into obscurity. He could’ve made as much $ in NIL as he’ll make there.