Do think Beane will make any trades before week 1?

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

At the very least, I feel fairly confident that this year's JAGs are going to be better than last year's JAGs. And if we're real lucky, the sum total of this receiving corp may end up being better than the sum total of last year's receiving corp.

Could very well turn out that way, 👍

9 hours ago, Logic said:

Echoing others:

I don't think Beane will be acquiring any players via trade, but I could see him trading away a player or two for draft picks.

Kaiir Elam and an interior lineman (Will Clapp?) would be my most likely candidates.

I think you are probably going to be correct.  Elam's future may be tied more to the progress of the other young corners on the roster than to his own performance.  Time will tell on this.  As far as the o-line, the Bills have more guys that can play than roster positions to keep them.  In addition, there are a few teams that have poor o-line talent and/or depth.  Beane was able to move Bates and he may be able to move someone else.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

10 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

In years past, with a deep and talented roster Beane has found some value for a guy who either finished further down the depth chart at a crowded position or was someone that they were going to cut.  But this year is a little bit different with a bigger mix of vets and youth than we have seen in the past, so it's a bit harder to project right now.  We also have three 4th round picks next year, which might open up the possibility for Beane to pull the trigger to bolster somewhere if another team makes an interesting player available as we also have a little cap flexibility too.    

So, is there anyone or even a positional group on the roster where you think Beane may try and trade someone out and get a little value for?  And do you think Beane may make a trade to bolster a positional group, and if so, which one?

trades thst can occur

1. injury driven…either we lose someone or another team loses someone thst we have death in

2. emergence of youth/ vets losing a step.  You have extra players you may trade before waiving 

37 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Now you are talking about FA which has nothing to do with what they offer on the field.  Claypools talent is undeniable, its does he have the inner fortitude to get past his demons.  Claypool at his best brings more size, speed, and youth than Hopkins does today.  If you put a gun to my head and said who is more likely to have the better season, its obviously Hopkins because Claypool is an unknown essentially of what you are going to get.  But, I prefaced that IF Claypool can get it together here, then he would bring more to the table right now.  But it is a big ask, and there are no assurances.  

And if Claypool has a great season, who says we cant be the one to sign him.  We won't have Diggs or Von to pay next year, retaining him if he proves worthy is not a problem.  

Weren't you critical of the Coleman pick because of his speed, or am I mistaken (honestly not sure)?  Because Coleman ran a faster 40 than Hopkins did when he came out at his pro day...and that was before Hopkins was 32 years old.  So if speed is your concern, than you should be rooting for Claypool to get his act right here.

One, we are in a transition year...there are a lot of unknowns on both sides of the ball.  Can we still win it all this year...yes we can if have hit on a lot of those changes and they show that early.  But its also not an "All In" season.  This is setting the foundation for the next 5 to 7 years of Allens prime, to be a perennial SB contender and hopefully champion.  There is no reason to kill a bunch of cap space on an aging player and take reps away from younger players who have more long-term value.  And that is what a lot of you miss.  We aren't "rebuilding", but we also are not in a position to go "All In" and making moves like we did with Von when we felt a player away.  

Next year we have a ton of cap space and lots of extra premium draft picks (two 2nds and three 4ths already) for them to now see where we need to start pushing our chips in.  If its WR then so be it, they will.  If its our pass rush, they will do that too.  Maybe its CB where we still don't know if Rasul will still be here then.  

This is kind of a ridiculous statement and RALPH PTSD.  There is absolutely no way Pegula has any influence on this.  I mean we are near the top of our cap with $31M in dead money to Diggs alone.  Nothing about what we did this year says Pegula closed the check book.  

This isn't really complicated...we have Hollins, MVS, and Claypool because $31M is tied up in a WR who plays for another team.  We used our first-round pick on Keon, our first and 4th last year on Kincaid, and we have a young ascending Shakir.  They brought in some vets to pair with the youth that were affordable because again $31M is being taken up by a WR on another team.   And more importantly, Beane understands an elite WR1 is NOT in any way been proven to be a prerequisite to win a SB. 

And if we know one thing, Beane is aggressive...if Josh's weapons prove to not be good enough, Beane has the ammo to make the moves necessary, and will, next year.  

On the field nobody in their right minds compares Claypool to DHop.  They are not on the same tier.  DHop > Claypool.  It's really not debatable.  No one in their right mind would want to have Claypool on their team for the upcoming season instead of Deandre Hopkins.  So when you thought it would be better to have Claypool I thought you meant for some type of future benefits.  And even those don't work.

Do you seriously think Beane didn't discuss with Pegula the trade of Diggs?  Especially if this is the end result of what the WR room is to look like?  It certainly makes more sense for Beane's calmness, knowing he is doing these moves under the direction of his boss, makes for more job security.

And there were options if an owner/GM wanted to backload contracts after the Tre money came in.  For instance, Diggs cap hit this year for Houston is around $6M, and the cap hit last year for DHop was under $2M.  There were options that were chosen not to take.

This idea that a move only is done for "a prerequisite to win a SB" is ridiculous.  No move/position in and of itself is a prerequisite - not even QB.  So, how about making a better team?  A good WR would make the Bills a much better team.

Probably not.  I would pull out all the stops to try and trade for Aiyuk or Metcalf (and give them the bag) so Allen can have a true #1 WR in his prime for the next five years. It would give Coleman time to develop as WR2 and would open up the middle of the field for guys like Shakir, Kincaid, and Samuel.  Maybe Beane tried already and they weren't for sale.  Who knows.  

9 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

You may, but not when you can't draft or acquire them successfully

I would say Ed Oliver is good.  DaQuan Jones is good.  Greg Rosseau is solid.  Leonard Floyd was obviously good because the 49ers gave him 20 million with 12 guaranteed.  He's had some misses like every GM has.

So your suggestion is you stop trying or something?

8 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I would say Ed Oliver is good.  DaQuan Jones is good.  Greg Rosseau is solid.  Leonard Floyd was obviously good because the 49ers gave him 20 million with 12 guaranteed.  He's had some misses like every GM has.

So your suggestion is you stop trying or something?

Sunk costs.

Try not to chase bad money.

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Are you now going to tell a coach to try not to call a bad play or a QB not the throw a bad ball?

This is like the most vague criticism ever lol.

But it fits within the theme. 

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

On the field nobody in their right minds compares Claypool to DHop.  They are not on the same tier.  DHop > Claypool.  It's really not debatable.  No one in their right mind would want to have Claypool on their team for the upcoming season instead of Deandre Hopkins. 

Nobody huh...hmmm...yet the Bills seem to have made this very decision.  I mean according to you and everyone who has not stopped talking about DHop here for 2 seasons, he is both available for trade and affordable for the Bills.  Yet...wait for it...they signed Claypool rather than trade for a 32 year old WR.  So can you really say no one. when again according to all your previous posts, DHop is just sitting there available for a trade if the Bills wanted him.  So much so, you have along with so many others said you fully expected the trade.

So when you thought it would be better to have Claypool I thought you meant for some type of future benefits.  And even those don't work.\

Im not really sure what was confusing for you about my last post.  I was talking about now and future benefits...and I very specifically said that it was ONLY if Claypool put it together here because the talent was NOT Claypools issue.  I even said if I was a betting man, I would say Hopkins likely has a better year because its no small hill Claypool has to climb, but he is also like WR6 right now, so pretty low risk situation for the Bills with very high upside if it works out.

If we were in a ALL IN must win now mode...sure, you take a look at more sure commodities like say a DHop (or maybe someone not so old).  But we aren't, and Claypool is the kind of low-risk vs high reward signing that makes sense in a season you have $31M in dead cap for a WR on another team.

Do you seriously think Beane didn't discuss with Pegula the trade of Diggs?  Especially if this is the end result of what the WR room is to look like?  It certainly makes more sense for Beane's calmness, knowing he is doing these moves under the direction of his boss, makes for more job security.

And there were options if an owner/GM wanted to backload contracts after the Tre money came in.  For instance, Diggs cap hit this year for Houston is around $6M, and the cap hit last year for DHop was under $2M.  There were options that were chosen not to take.

You are off the deep end and doubling down on this idea that Beane is being cheap under the direction of Pegula and its not even worth discussing further it is so ludicrous.  It may be the wildest thing anyone has suggested all offseason, and that says something.

This idea that a move only is done for "a prerequisite to win a SB" is ridiculous.  No move/position in and of itself is a prerequisite - not even QB.  So, how about making a better team?  A good WR would make the Bills a much better team.

And Beane went out and drafted a good WR prospect...and signed a good WR in Samuel to play with another good WR in Shakir with a good receiving TE in Kincaid.  We are talking about the bottom half of the WR room right now with Claypool and you act like its where you make or break a SB team.  

You are being dramatic because you didn't get the WR that YOU wanted when they drafted Coleman.  Don't sit here and pretend Beane didn't make moves while handling $31M in CAP tied up in a WR on another team, and he found good depth competition in Hollins, MVS, and Claypool where someone like Claypool has starting level talent if they can help get the kids career back on track.

Meanwhile...next year, we have a ton of cap room with Diggs and Vons deals gone and a lot of extra premium draft picks to address whatever positions need to be addressed.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Are you now going to tell a coach to try not to call a bad play or a QB not the throw a bad ball?

This is like the most vague criticism ever lol.

Is it really, or are you being obtuse?

11 hours ago, HappyDays said:

If Claypool has a great season you let him walk, for sure. Like the Chiefs did after JuJu Smith-Schuster's good season there, and then he predictably became his usual hobbled self at his next stop. Enjoy the free comp pick and let some other team make the obvious mistake.

I don't think its that black and white and quite honestly there is really zero similarities between the Chiefs decision on JuJu and what the Bills decision on Claypool would be if he has a good season.    

JuJu was still just JuJu...a mediocre WR on the decline of his career who wasn't worth his contract.  He didn't have that good of a season for KC to where they had to bring him back, in fact everyone knew they needed to upgrade from him still and tried through the draft and also needed to save money because of cap issues.

If Claypool turns it on here, he has his whole prime years ahead of him, brings so much more to the table than what JuJu was going to bring to KC if they brought him back. 

So if he has a good season here, it will come down strictly how confident they are in his character moving forward on whether or not they would resign him.  Because talent is not the issue as we all know, it's been his immaturity and mentality.   He has so much talent Chicago traded a first-round pick during the 2022 season despite the maturity issues he was having with Steelers.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Nobody huh...hmmm...yet the Bills seem to have made this very decision.  I mean according to you and everyone who has not stopped talking about DHop here for 2 seasons, he is both available for trade and affordable for the Bills.  Yet...wait for it...they signed Claypool rather than trade for a 32 year old WR.  So can you really say no one. when again according to all your previous posts, DHop is just sitting there available for a trade if the Bills wanted him.  So much so, you have along with so many others said you fully expected the trade.

Im not really sure what was confusing for you about my last post.  I was talking about now and future benefits...and I very specifically said that it was ONLY if Claypool put it together here because the talent was NOT Claypools issue.  I even said if I was a betting man, I would say Hopkins likely has a better year because its no small hill Claypool has to climb, but he is also like WR6 right now, so pretty low risk situation for the Bills with very high upside if it works out.

If we were in a ALL IN must win now mode...sure,  you take a look at more sure commodities like say a DHop (or maybe someone not so old).  But we aren't, and Claypool is the kind of low risk high reward signing that makes sense in a season you have $31M in dead cap for a WR on another team.

You are off the deep end and doubling down on this idea that Beane is being cheap under the direction of Pegula and its not even worth discussing further it is so ludicrous.  It may be the wildest thing anyone has suggested all offseason, and that says something.

And Beane went out and drafted a good WR...and signed a good WR in Samuel to play with another good WR in Shakir with a good receiving TE in Kincaid.  We are talking about the bottom half of the WR room and you act like its where you make or break a SB team.  

You are being dramatic because you didn't get the WR that YOU wanted when they drafted Coleman.  Don't sit here and pretend Beane didn't make moves, and he found good depth competition in Hollins, MVS, and Claypool where someone like Claypool has starting level talent if they can help get the kids career back on track.

Meanwhile...next year, we have a ton of cap room with Diggs and Vons deals gone and a lot of extra premium draft picks to address whatever positions need to be addressed.  

As far as Claypool vs DHop - now you're trying to wedge in cost.  And therein lies the problem.  We were talking about the 2024 season on field playing ability.  Who people would rather have.

Second you keep trying to say I didn't want or like Coleman, where are you getting this?  It's not true.  It's just that I think he will take some time.

I do think Beane discussed the budget with Pegula for the upcoming season.   Are you saying you don't think they talk?  I don't think Pegula is cheap but do think they are using a more cap constrained model than in the past.  This year is looking like a reset and I don't think Beane would be doing that by himself.

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Did you really think "try to not to chase bad money" is enlightening or something?

I'm not being obtuse to know that you're trying to find a new angle to criticize Beane.   

I'm sorry, I'll do my best to avoid insulting the sacred cow again. Mea Culpa

A GMs job is never done, it all depends on what happens in the preseason and what comes available or as someone mentioned Clapp could get the Russell Bodine treatment and be moved if he doesn't make the 53 now that we drafted Van Pran-Granger. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.