Have you known of anyone that faked their death?

Another Fan

6 hours ago, Gregg said:

I remember back in the day some believed Andy Kaufman (Taxi) had faked his death. He didn't but if anyone was crazy enough to do something like that it would be him.

Rumors are he died of AIDS. 

6 hours ago, Logic said:

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest author and Merry Pranksters leader Ken Kesey faked his own death to get out of serving jail time.

He had the Pranksters leave his truck at the edge of a cliff overlooking the ocean in Eureka, along with a dramatic "suicide note" ("Ocean, ocean, I'll beat you in the end...") and booked it to Mexico in the trunk of a car, where he hid out for several months with some of the other Pranksters. Eventually, he returned to the States and did his time.

I once accidentally stepped on Ken Kesey's foot coming out of a beer store in Eugene :blush:

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Simon said:

I once accidentally stepped on Ken Kesey's foot coming out of a beer store in Eugene :blush:

Sheesh. He's a big dude. Elite wrestler, too. I'm glad you lived to tell the tale.

28 minutes ago, Logic said:

Sheesh. He's a big dude. Elite wrestler, too. I'm glad you lived to tell the tale.

Not to mention I have size 12 boots and was carrying 4 cases of beer (which was why I didn't see him in time).

But I don't believe for a second that Kesey would have ever harmed an innocent man. Or me either!

When I realized I had stepped on somebody I said "Oh shlt, sorry man" before I realized who it was. Then I recognized him and I just stood there for a second gaping at him and he started laughing. Then I started laughing at him laughing at the stupid look on my face. Then we oddly both said the word "Enjoy" at the same time and started laughing again as we moved on.

A strange moment but a genuinely organic way to "meet" one of your favorite writers. 

Someday I hope to accidentally kick Neal Stephenson in the jimmy and see if that works out as well. :lol:

• Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Simon said:

Not to mention I have size 12 boots and was carrying 4 cases of beer (which was why I didn't see him in time).

But I don't believe for a second that Kesey would have ever harmed an innocent man. Or me either!

When I realized I had stepped on somebody I said "Oh shlt, sorry man" before I realized who it was. Then I recognized him and I just stood there for a second gaping at him and he started laughing. Then I started laughing at him laughing at the stupid look on my face. Then we oddly both said the word "Enjoy" at the same time and started laughing again as we moved on.

A strange moment but a genuinely organic way to "meet" one of your favorite writers. 

Someday I hope to accidentally kick Neal Stephenson in the jimmy and see if that works out as well. :lol:

That's the best random meeting story with Kesey anyone could ever hope for. Perfect cosmic giggle moment with the Prankster acid king. Thanks for sharing that.

• Thank you (+1) 1

No.

But I had a former neighbor(super nice guy) who a bunch of bad sh!t happened to.    His wife cheated on him, divorced him, got the house and then he had a tree fall on him at work and I'd heard he was confined to a wheel chair and a friend of his was taking care of him out in the country somewhere.    I was not surprised to hear that he had complications from his paralysis and had contracted and then died of pneumonia.

A couple years later I walk out of a store into a dark parking lot and I hear a voice call my name out and when I looked it was him sitting in a pickup truck.    Talk about a f#cking surprise.   I wasn't going to tell him that I thought he was dead.   He still had limited mobility from his accident but alive and functioning.

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

No.

But I had a former neighbor(super nice guy) who a bunch of bad sh!t happened to.    His wife cheated on him, divorced him, got the house and then he had a tree fall on him at work and I'd heard he was confined to a wheel chair and a friend of his was taking care of him out in the country somewhere.    I was not surprised to hear that he had complications from his paralysis and had contracted and then died of pneumonia.

A couple years later I walk out of a store into a dark parking lot and I hear a voice call my name out and when I looked it was him sitting in a pickup truck.    Talk about a f#cking surprise.   I wasn't going to tell him that I thought he was dead.   He still had limited mobility from his accident but alive and functioning.

That’s bad but it could have been worse.  For example, his wife got the house so she still had to live next to you.

22 hours ago, Poleshifter said:

Many famous people, who have publicly “died”, have actually gone into the federal witness protection program.

"Elvis didn't die,  he just went home."

• Haha (+1) 1