Have you known of anyone that faked their death?

Another Fan

Recently I reconnected with someone I grew up with which was real cool.  Then naturally that made wonder whatever happened to Mr. X.

Apparently earlier in the year he went missing.  Then one comment said he was located deceased.  

I was initially pretty upset but even when I knew Mr. X he was always pretty all over the place and erratic.  A long story short I wouldn’t put it past him how I remember him.  There’s no actual obituary for him online either or anything official indicating it.  

But just how common if at all is it?  

recently had the sort of opposite of this. we had a fellow farmer who would sell plants and various other flowers. no one had seen her this year and figured that since she quit farming last year and her youngest kid (now 9) and the rest of her family are aging up - she just sort of moved on.

come to find out she died 2 months ago in a motorcycle accident raging off after an argument being thrown just 30 seconds after getting on the bike. no one knew she was dead. no one at all. the only ocnfirmation that anyone saw was a random friend commenting on a facebok post from 3 months ago saying "RIP we miss you so much."

there is no obituary. there is nothing posted anywhere. there is absolutely nothing.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, boyst said:

recently had the sort of opposite of this. we had a fellow farmer who would sell plants and various other flowers. no one had seen her this year and figured that since she quit farming last year and her youngest kid (now 9) and the rest of her family are aging up - she just sort of moved on.

come to find out she died 2 months ago in a motorcycle accident raging off after an argument being thrown just 30 seconds after getting on the bike. no one knew she was dead. no one at all. the only ocnfirmation that anyone saw was a random friend commenting on a facebok post from 3 months ago saying "RIP we miss you so much."

there is no obituary. there is nothing posted anywhere. there is absolutely nothing.

I thought the way I did because even as kids he was like absent from school a lot and used to fabricate stories all the time.  He seemed smart enough how to make it happen.  

35 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

I have a vague recollection of Homer faking his death on an episode of the Simpsons because he didn't want to go into work that day

I still believe Andy Kaufman and Tupac are some place enjoying life together. 😅

But famous or not this leads me to believe there’s people out there that lead lives and you just wonder if dying or disappearing is all part of their latest performance.  

2 hours ago, Another Fan said:

I thought the way I did because even as kids he was like absent from school a lot and used to fabricate stories all the time.  He seemed smart enough how to make it happen.  

I still believe Andy Kaufman and Tupac are some place enjoying life together. 😅

But famous or not this leads me to believe there’s people out there that lead lives and you just wonder if dying or disappearing is all part of their latest performance.  

that's what is amazing is this girl was smart enough to f her and her families life up. she was always drunk, and always causing a scene but very talented and kind at the same time. the narcasistic qualities she had shown through like a beacon to those who could recognize them. everyone knew she was a ticking time bomb to actually destroy herself.

she wanted to live, she had so much happiness and such but the whole alcoholism + mental illness was truly insane.

We used to know a builder who was a rather prominent public figure. He was using one of his furnished spec houses as a love nest. A Realtor came in to show the property and walked in on them. Word quickly got to his wife, and as it turns out her brother was involved in organized crime. He put out a hit on the cheating spouse, but word got to the Feds somehow. In order for things to play out, they stuffed his obese body into a car trunk covered with fake blood. He was lucky it was only faked. 

Who says small towns are boring? 

Edited by Augie
  • Shocked 1

I'll be able to sleep when I'm "dead," so . . . .

If anybody wants to try faking your own death (I don't recommend it), here's some potentially useful info:

https://www.cnbc.com/2016/08/30/faking-your-own-death-takes-work--and-lots-of-cash.html

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/playing-a-risky-game-people-who-fake-death-for-big-money/

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead
add 2nd link

A girl on my son's HS crew team had a father who went missing with his car and wallet found in his driveway.  They found him 9 months later somewhere else alive and well.

I think it was much easier in the past, say before WW II, when our society was much more insular and people lived in much smaller places with their "worlds" literally bound by their small towns or by their local neighborhoods.  It wasn't until after WW II that Americans began to see the world as a much larger place, probably because of television and the automobile.

My grandfather and three of his brothers immigrated to the US prior to WW I.  One of the brothers -- Tony -- who lived in Lackawana was a truck driver who disappeared while on a job that had him driving between Buffalo and Rochester.  This was in the late 1920s (his son was born in 1925 and his daughter in 1927 IIRC).  His wife and  children assumed he was dead.  My grandfather died in 1959. No strangers came to visit him while he was sick and/or attended his funeral.  My grandfather (who hadn't driven since an accident prior to WW II) never attended a funeral for anybody not known to the rest of his immediate family.  It was very common then for women who had been abandoned by their husbands or divorced to claim to be widows, but Tony's children never had any contact with their father after he left on his last route.  If their mother knew her husband was alive, she never told anyone -- unless it was on her death bed or something.

Fast forward to 2016 when I was doing genealogy of my grandfather's family.  I was trying to find my grandfather's two other brothers who disappeared from the US census records after 1920.  I went on a genealogy message board and asked for some help, and low and behold, somebody searched the Lackawana city directories and found the supposedly deceased Tony living about 10 or 15 blocks from his supposed widow and children in the late 1930s.    (The other two brothers had returned to Poland after WW I when Poland became an independent nation.)   I never told Tony's son about my discovery because at that time he was 90+ years old, and it would have served no purpose.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, TBBills Fan said:

My girl has a near death experience every time we make sweet love. Does this count?  She shakes uncontrollably and says things in Spanish (she doesn't speak Spanish)

“Patetico”,  “Incompetito” and “Diminuto” are not tough translations.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Apparently there is a delusional girl on Tik Tok with a video that has like 30 million views.

It's her filming her making a birth cake for herself.  She's crying with the caption of something like "being single and making a birth day cake just so my daughters can sing me happy birthday".  

Her ex went on social media and said that he has primary custody, she doesn't even see the kids and she has been arrested for domestic violence multiple times lol

My hamster Sammy faked his death once and framed me but he messed up.  I was in lock up for a few hours but when they went back to collect evidence he was having an ***** with other hamsters and all sorts of other stuff was going on.  He tried to tell the cops he was Sammy’s twin and the ***** was a traditional hamster funeral but they weren’t having it and they let me out.  No wheel for a month after that BS.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest author and Merry Pranksters leader Ken Kesey faked his own death to get out of serving jail time.

He had the Pranksters leave his truck at the edge of a cliff overlooking the ocean in Eureka, along with a dramatic "suicide note" ("Ocean, ocean, I'll beat you in the end...") and booked it to Mexico in the trunk of a car, where he hid out for several months with some of the other Pranksters. Eventually, he returned to the States and did his time.

• Like (+1) 1