Is it just me, or do some arguments here drag on ad nauseam?

9 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Good to see you think no one ever repeats themselves here or acts like an a***le here. 

The problem is, a lot of people agreed with my take, so it's not just me. And you know what, I can deal with the redundant arguments (I do them myself) but the assh**ism is too much sometimes. Thankfully, most people here are cool, even when they are in disagreement with others. 

We're mostly just busting your balls saying "it's just you"

What I meant by "why is this even a question?" is 

1) Of course some arguments drag on ad nauseum

2) Think a minute about the question "why are people here, posting on this board?"

-Some come here to share knowledge/info which feeds the "Silent Majority" who come here for information or football discussion.  But left to that, it's not enough to sustain an active bulletin board, especially off-season.  And it's frustrating sometimes: one can write a thoughtful and well-sourced little screed and it gets a bunch of views and maybe 4 responses, because there's nothing outrageous in it to spark disagreement and spur others to respond.

-Some come here to vent their Buffalo Bills frustration.  These come in 2 classes: like to try to discuss semi-knowledgeably and just like to vent, "old man shouts at cloud"

3) Think for a minute about the psychology of posting on a bulletin board.  It's fundamentally a bit LAMP-y, "Performative Art" if you will.  Some like to perform by sharing info or trying to discuss semi-knowledgeably and civilly.  Some like to perform  by debating endlessly and get that out of their system online, maybe as a change from a life of being "best behaved" at work and "letting go of the small stuff" at home..  But some like to perform by trying to "play off" others, either reasonably politely because that's who they are on and off bulletin boards, some with a nasty edge and rolling into personal insults easily especially whenever they're well-refuted.

Partly that's because of the well-established psychology of online communities, where people get a chance to act in a way they probably wouldn't IRL with no or minimal consequence (at worst, the need to create a new account).  We have people who bluster and sling insults around and collect what they believe to be cutting personal attacks (based on minimal evidence), who probably IRL pet kittens and are gentle to puppy dogs and even treat people decently, but from the safety of a keyboard and screen they feel empowered to "unleash their inner #######".

Then there are people who are flat-out crazy, like they just can't help themselves.  I was puzzled by this in my previous life here, until someone pointed out to me that ~2% of the population has serious psychopathologies, so I'm gonna meet that percentage here.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I’m just an absolute Bills junkie, also an NFL addict. I visit the site everyday and multiple times a day mostly in the offseason. I just want to remind or convince myself that this obsession is normal and ok so I come here where others also suffer from this illness.

I rarely post in season for two reasons, firstly I am taking in so much more NFL content that it’s more time consuming, and secondly I tend to find the forum filled with crazy talk during the season, even after wins it’s multiple threads on how poorly the team is functioning. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure there’s some validity to the subject matter, but I’m on a massive high during the season and tend to be very happy and kind of insulate myself from Bills negativity.

I actually like, prefer and interact on the forum much more during the offseason, not sure if I’m in the minority.

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, julian said:

I’m just an absolute Bills junkie, also an NFL addict. I visit the site everyday and multiple times a day mostly in the offseason. I just want to remind or convince myself that this obsession is normal and ok so I come here where others also suffer from this illness.

I rarely post in season for two reasons, firstly I am taking in so much more NFL content that it’s more time consuming, and secondly I tend to find the forum filled with crazy talk during the season, even after wins it’s multiple threads on how poorly the team is functioning. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure there’s some validity to the subject matter, but I’m on a massive high during the season and tend to be very happy and kind of insulate myself from Bills negativity.

I actually like, prefer and interact on the forum much more during the offseason, not sure if I’m in the minority.

Just enjoy the ride!

• Like (+1) 1

What happens when Bills fans, anxiety, boredom,  not much going on yet to talk about  and utter fanaticism are joined together?

you get this marvelous venue called TBD

I'm not gonna lie. I am here for the IQ heavyweights. The piffle I disregard and keep it moving.

But that's just me.

Speaking of Bills fan battles that rage on and on, here's a true story:

In the Rob Johnson vs Doug Flutie training camp battle Summer, I attended training camp. I was a young buck at the time, and I was wearing a Rob Johnson jersey. I was just about the ONLY Johnson fan in a see of Flutie jerseys. Bill Pucko from R News in Rochester noticed and came over with the cameras to film me for the daily "camper of the day" segment. That night, there I was on the news, explaining that I know everyone loves Flutie, but that I believed in Rob Johnson, that he was a great young talent, and that I thought he would be leading the Bills for many years to come.

So...needless to say, my bad personnel takes started early and have never abated. 

p.s. My comments may have been embarrassing, but they weren't as bad as my cousin who was sitting next to me, who also got interviewed for the segment. He was wearing a Bruce Smith jersey, so they asked him about Bruce's recent departure from the Bills. His response? "When ya gotta go, ya gotta go". He was edited out of the news story that night. 😆

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

I have had about ENOUGH of this Tom Donahoe guy, I gotta tell ya.

I think we should give him a bit more time, he’s just about to turn the corner with this team. What he really needs is a top flight coach like Rex Ryan. 

• Shocked 1

3 hours ago, julian said:

I love all levels of football, high school, college, NFL and mostly the Bills. The fall, leaves changing, cooler weather, and if the Bills lose I'm over it 15 minutes after the final gun goes off. Too many on TBD treat it as life or death, I think Shaw66 said "just enjoy the ride."  If December rolls around and the Bills out of contention still continue to follow the NFL, I get hate posts that I'm happy just watching good football and not a SB run. Not true, been following the Bills since 1963 and would love a SB win, but when I'm ready to move on to the great beyond I wont be talking the Bills! I consider myself lucky over the last sixty years, seen every AFL team play, many HOF players, Vince Lombardi at the Rockpile in 1969, and some historic moments, games, playoffs, not only with the Bills but the entire NFL. Blue collar Buffalo throughout the 1960's, Taverns, Genessee Beer, Curt Gowdy, Charlie Jones, Van Miller, Stan Barren, Rick Azar, and the Greatest Generation.  Great post Julian, I hear what you are saying, just enjoy the moment and the ride!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, amprov56 said:

I love all levels of football, high school, college, NFL and mostly the Bills. The fall, leaves changing, cooler weather, and if the Bills lose I'm over it 15 minutes after the final gun goes off. Too many on TBD treat it as life or death, I think Shaw66 said "just enjoy the ride."  If December rolls around and the Bills out of contention still continue to follow the NFL, I get hate posts that I'm happy just watching good football and not a SB run. Not true, been following the Bills since 1963 and would love a SB win, but when I'm ready to move on to the great beyond I wont be talking the Bills! I consider myself lucky over the last sixty years, seen every AFL team play, many HOF players, Vince Lombardi at the Rockpile in 1969, and some historic moments, games, playoffs, not only with the Bills but the entire NFL. Blue collar Buffalo throughout the 1960's, Taverns, Genessee Beer, Curt Gowdy, Charlie Jones, Van Miller, Stan Barren, Rick Azar, and the Greatest Generation.  Great post Julian, I hear what you are saying, just enjoy the moment and the ride!

Very cool, nice to see someone whose fandom kinda resembles mine, although your relationship with the Bills seems to have begun 20 years before mine. I also wish for a SB title but I’m just so ecstatic about this QB and this team that I refuse to focus on any negatives, I think that makes me a homer lol.

Thanks for sharing that reply.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, julian said:

Very cool, nice to see someone whose fandom kinda resembles mine, although your relationship with the Bills seems to have begun 20 years before mine. I also wish for a SB title but I’m just so ecstatic about this QB and this team that I refuse to focus on any negatives, I think that makes me a homer lol.

Thanks for sharing that reply.

We are both Homers and I too love JA!

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/9/2024 at 2:56 PM, Sharky7337 said:

Once you realize that this place moonlights as a message board that takes itself way to seriously but really is just a social club for the good ol boys you'll understand better why it's the way it is.

Game day threads and some of the breaking news that gets posted is the biggest value imo.

This 100%

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

I used to secretly sing that song to my niece and nephew when they’d come for a visit and then my brother would call and scream at me that they’d just sang it in his backseat the entire hour long car ride home. 😂

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.