Is it just me, or do some arguments here drag on ad nauseam?

6 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

I love the Bills and think almost all of you guys seem like cool people. But my issue with many threads here is that after a while they get redundant and some people keep repeating the same argument to win the "I'm smarter than you" or "I don't like your point of view" game. It's all ego at this point, for both sides. No new information gets shared. it's just redundancy and, unfortunately at times, personal insults.

For example, both sides have said all that can be said about Claypool and taking a flyer on a physical specimen that lost his way and is given "another chance" — let's see how the season plays out and then revisit that issue in a few months. As just one example. There are many.

We can disagree, sure — it's an opinion board and no one is saying everyone should agree on the questions and concerns — but let it go after a while. For the love of Bruce Smith, stop saying the same thing in different words after you've said it three or four times.

Or not. Knock yourselves out repeating the same old arguments. I guess I don't have to click on those threads either.

Yes.

6 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

I love the Bills and think almost all of you guys seem like cool people. But my issue with many threads here is that after a while they get redundant and some people keep repeating the same argument to win the "I'm smarter than you" or "I don't like your point of view" game. It's all ego at this point, for both sides. No new information gets shared. it's just redundancy and, unfortunately at times, personal insults.

For example, both sides have said all that can be said about Claypool and taking a flyer on a physical specimen that lost his way and is given "another chance" — let's see how the season plays out and then revisit that issue in a few months. As just one example. There are many.

We can disagree, sure — it's an opinion board and no one is saying everyone should agree on the questions and concerns — but let it go after a while. For the love of Bruce Smith, stop saying the same thing in different words after you've said it three or four times.

Or not. Knock yourselves out repeating the same old arguments. I guess I don't have to click on those threads either.

I believe that for there to be a discussion about something, it's best if the following is true.

1) The subject is important.

2) Fans have at least some knowledge about it.

3) There is disagreement among the fan base.

For example: Josh Allen is important. But, there's near-unanimous agreement that he's the answer at QB for however long his good years last. Therefore, he's not the center a QB controversy. No real discussion to be had there. 

There's a paucity of topics which check all three boxes. New examples of such topics aren't generated very frequently. Moreover, if you look just at the first page of topics on this board, you'll see a ton of posting volume. If you have a ton of posting volume chasing a small number of interesting subjects, the same subjects or arguments will tend to come up multiple times.

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Draconator said:

We're not talking about Ertz or Edmunds

It’s all encompassing! I’ll take you to the mat on this one, and McD is my coach!

Yeah, let the jokes commence. 

• Haha (+1) 2

There are definitely some strongly held beliefs on this forum.

There are people on here that think Reich was better than Kelly. 

The Flutie Jonhson debate could still get 100 pages easily

God forbid you criticize McDermott on here. 7 seasons, 6 mostly successful but no championships and not even a AFC Championship game in the last two years. Losing record in the playoffs. Some of us would have been fien moving on from him after 13 seconds, others think he can do no wrong.

Pretty certain almost everyone agrees OJ was a great athlete and a despicable guilty double murderer person.

3 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

There are some who just like to argue for the sake of arguing and need to always get the last word in.

Nu-uh!

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

There are only so many things to talk about. Particularly this time of year.

|"Have you ever noticed when you're driving that anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac? You say, 'Look at this idiot here. Will you look at this idiot, just creepin' along. Woh! Look at that maniac go!' I mean it's a wonder we ever get anywhere at all with all the idiots and maniacs there are. Because there's certainly no-one driving at my speed. I don't let anyone drive at my speed. Do you? bull####! Someone's going my speed, ***** him, I'm gonna slow down, let him get up ahead a little bit, I can keep an eye on that ####### from back here."

- George Carlin

Some people will like to talk less than you. Others more. That's just the way it is.

As you said, you're free to not open them, or to skip to another thread.

Edited by Thurman#1

2 hours ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

I believe that for there to be a discussion about something, it's best if the following is true.

1) The subject is important.

2) Fans have at least some knowledge about it.

3) There is disagreement among the fan base.

For example: Josh Allen is important. But, there's near-unanimous agreement that he's the answer at QB for however long his good years last. Therefore, he's not the center a QB controversy. No real discussion to be had there. 

There's a paucity of topics which check all three boxes. New examples of such topics aren't generated very frequently. Moreover, if you look just at the first page of topics on this board, you'll see a ton of posting volume. If you have a ton of posting volume chasing a small number of interesting subjects, the same subjects or arguments will tend to come up multiple times.

True.

But there are also some people here who absolutely curate threads, keeping them going for hundreds of pages when there just isn't much there. I tend to stay away, dropping in every few weeks to marvel at how much care the guy is spending on this limited topic. It's like someone trying to keep a fire alive by putting thousands of tiny twigs on it one at a time. The same guy will have 30% of the posts in a thread.

Worth looking at and shaking your head. Whatever. It's what they want to do.

It's like watching someone try to herd a worm on a trip from Kansas to LIncoln, Nebraska. Worth checking in on.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, mrags said:

I feel like you should have just called me out by name instead of beating around the bush 

Anytime “drag” comes up, it’s not always about you, Queenie. 

9 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

💯 same people saying the same things every day.  I’m guilty of it too I’m sure, but for as often as I check the site, I feel as if I rarely post anymore.  I find myself clicking reply then think “nah, why bother”

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.