Khalil Shakir/Moulds video

On 6/7/2024 at 1:46 PM, hondo in seattle said:

Cool he's training with Moulds.   Seems driven... heads on straight...  gotta root for him.  

I wonder, of all the players on the team, why the Bills decided to do an in-depth video on Shakir.  

They picked him because he’s the best wide receiver left over from last year’s roster and Josh’s favorite target in the playoffs, plus he made all the clutch catches against KC. He represents the most improved big play receiver on the team. He’s not a diva and just produces. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Depending upon how you define productive...or for that matter "average"

How do you define average?  And productive?

Well, at a career average of 37.2 yards-per-game and an extrapolated TD production of 4/season, and having only eclipsed 656 yards in a single season once, are you prepared to argue that that's been above-average?  

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Doc said:

Josh will be the best QB either Samuel or Claypool have ever played with and both eclipsed 850 yards at points in their careers, compared to Sherfield whose best season was 417 yards.  If Claypool can be motivated (and at this stage of his career he has every reason to be) he can be a big boost to the offense while Samuel's speed has been sorely lacking.  Shakir will see a bigger role and Kincaid should continue building on his strong rookie season.  Then you add-in Cook, Davis (who is supposed to be an excellent receiver) and don't forget Knox.  Anyone outside of them producing will be gravy.

Allen was the best QB that Sherfield's ever played with as well.  He posted only his fourth best season of his six last year.  

Allen was the best QB that McKenzie ever played with as well.  He posted only his 9th best season in a 12-year career.  

Allen was the best QB that Andre Roberts ever played with as well.  He did nothing here.  

As to Claypool, IF a lot of things.  His contract suggests that he'll really have to shine in camp and preseason to even make the roster.  

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Fair enough but if you invest 20 minutes into this video you can see the Shakir is humble and hardworking, two qualities not every WR has. He proved it on the field in the second half of last year and i have higher expectations for him this year. Will he be Pro Bowl? I don't know. But he will be good and get better. 

It's refreshing to see a player like him after a lot of Diggs type of attention-seeking wide receivers.

Im not trying to start any sh*t but this is exactly what i mean and hey man i am FULLY on board for dude to have a breakout season and there's plenty of reasons why he should, my uncle is a big fan of WY and the big mt conference, saw this dude light up the cowboys his whole college career and when we drafted him...well you see were im going, anyway..yes he SHOULD absolutely have that year, but we dont know. sometimes it doesnt work out and its a bummer. if it happens, bones to the sky

ie. gotten my hopes up too many times

Edited by Iiiiiiiiive Got a Feeeelin

3 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Allen was the best QB that Sherfield's ever played with as well.  He posted only his fourth best season of his six last year.  

Allen was the best QB that McKenzie ever played with as well.  He posted only his 9th best season in a 12-year career.  

Allen was the best QB that Andre Roberts ever played with as well.  He did nothing here.  

As to Claypool, IF a lot of things.  His contract suggests that he'll really have to shine in camp and preseason to even make the roster. 

Sherfield, McKenzie and Roberts are nobodies as WRs.  No one is saying Josh can make any receiver good.  I no more expected him to make them into productive WRs than I'm expecting him to do that with guys like Hamler or Isabella.

As for Claypool, I'd say the only if is motivation.  This is his last chance in the NFL after a successful start to his career but then seemingly getting too big of an ego too fast.  And sure he'll have to show something in camp and preseason, but looking at the roster, I'm not sure he'll have to "shine" per se.  I see them keeping 6 WRs but only see 3 locks: Coleman, Shakir and Samuel.  Hollins is talked about as a locker room asset, but his ability is more PS, from where he can still influence the team.  The only other guys to have shown anything in the NFL on the roster are him and MVS.  Someone else is going to have to shine to make the roster.

On 6/7/2024 at 1:48 PM, PBF81 said:

The Mountain West Connection about to premiere in the NFL!!   The potential is huge.  

What's not to love about Shakir!  

Maybe because he rates high in all of the things that a team would want in a high-profile player.  Great background, very intelligent, very well spoken, and he also seems to be our big hope this season in the passing game, which is the highest profile aspect of the NFL these days.  

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"very well spoken"....hmmmm

anyway,  based on their off season acquisitions, the FO isn't clearly focusing on Shakir being the "big hope this season for the passing game"...

6 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Loved the video and enjoyed Shakir’s rise to prominence last season. He singularly demoted Davis to afterthought and ran him out of town. 
Expecting great things from him in year 3.

There's nothing wrong with feeling good about Shakir.  There's also reason to believe there's others on the roster who can and will ball out.   

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Doc said:

Sherfield, McKenzie and Roberts are nobodies as WRs.  No one is saying Josh can make any receiver good.  I no more expected him to make them into productive WRs than I'm expecting him to do that with guys like Hamler or Isabella.

As for Claypool, I'd say the only if is motivation.  This is his last chance in the NFL after a successful start to his career but then seemingly getting too big of an ego too fast.  And sure he'll have to show something in camp and preseason, but looking at the roster, I'm not sure he'll have to "shine" per se.  I see them keeping 6 WRs but only see 3 locks: Coleman, Shakir and Samuel.  Hollins is talked about as a locker room asset, but his ability is more PS, from where he can still influence the team.  The only other guys to have shown anything in the NFL on the roster are him and MVS.  Someone else is going to have to shine to make the roster.

Well, Shakir, Samuel, and Coleman are three WRs that will be on the roster, given that we have Kincaid as a significant passing threat, we carry what, two more WRs?  It's anyone's guess who those last ones are, but Claypool's contract is about as minimal as it gets, suggesting that the team didn't necessarily go in thinking he was a shoe-in.  Either way, who the other two then?   Claypool, MVS, Hollins, Shorter, Hamler?  

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

"very well spoken"....hmmmm

anyway,  based on their off season acquisitions, the FO isn't clearly focusing on Shakir being the "big hope this season for the passing game"...

So the implication is that Samuel is their "big hope"?  

We didn't sign anyone else that's even capable.  IMO their WR signings are merely once again trying to get away on the cheap for a lack of planning.  Three years for $24M and $7M SB is hardly breaking the bank.  

Either way, unless it's a Diggs type, i.e. a top-10 anyway WR, which Samuel isn't, how smart is it to rely on a WR that has never even played with Allen?  

Anyway, as mentioned, I wouldn't be a rusty penny on how our passing game is schemed or structured.  I would bet that whatever we do, that it's less than optimal given the talent that we do have on the offensive side of the ball.  But if Shakir isn't at least in the running for being our big passing hope heading into the home stretch it will likely mean that things haven't gone well.  

6 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Well, Shakir, Samuel, and Coleman are three WRs that will be on the roster, given that we have Kincaid as a significant passing threat, we carry what, two more WRs?  It's anyone's guess who those last ones are, but Claypool's contract is about as minimal as it gets, suggesting that the team didn't necessarily go in thinking he was a shoe-in.  Either way, who the other two then?   Claypool, MVS, Hollins, Shorter, Hamler? 

Outside of Samuel, no WR is making a lot of money so that's not a factor IMHO.  And I'm not sure if they'll keep 5 or 6 WRs, but after looking at it more, I think I'd add MVS as a lock given his experience, fully guaranteed 2024 salary (even though it's just $2.25M) and that he seems to do well in the post-season.  I could see them keeping just 5 if they consider Kincaid basically another WR and they feel they need a roster spot for another area, meaning it would just then be Claypool. 

12 minutes ago, Doc said:

Outside of Samuel, no WR is making a lot of money so that's not a factor IMHO.  And I'm not sure if they'll keep 5 or 6 WRs, but after looking at it more, I think I'd add MVS as a lock given his experience, fully guaranteed 2024 salary (even though it's just $2.25M) and that he seems to do well in the post-season.  I could see them keeping just 5 if they consider Kincaid basically another WR and they feel they need a roster spot for another area, meaning it would just then be Claypool. 

Samuel's not making a lot of money either depending upon how we define a lot.  It's starter money but not so much that if he doesn't do much more than he has that it would be overpaying.  

Just looking at it in terms of where we're going to get our production from.  I'd guess 5 WRs but who knows.  Oddly, MVS has been about as equally productive as Samuel has on a per-season basis to date, 

As to MVS' postseason production, have you looked at it?  In 11 postseason games he has two notable ones, an average of 37 ypg and a TD every third game.  This past postseason, his most mature, he logged a total of 8 catches for 128 yards and a TD.  That was an average of 2 catches for 32 yards/game.  

27 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

So the implication is that Samuel is their "big hope"?  

We didn't sign anyone else that's even capable.  IMO their WR signings are merely once again trying to get away on the cheap for a lack of planning.  Three years for $24M and $7M SB is hardly breaking the bank.  

Either way, unless it's a Diggs type, i.e. a top-10 anyway WR, which Samuel isn't, how smart is it to rely on a WR that has never even played with Allen?  

Anyway, as mentioned, I wouldn't be a rusty penny on how our passing game is schemed or structured.  I would bet that whatever we do, that it's less than optimal given the talent that we do have on the offensive side of the ball.  But if Shakir isn't at least in the running for being our big passing hope heading into the home stretch it will likely mean that things haven't gone well.  

I didn’t imply Samuel is their big hope. Not sure where you pulled that out of. 

they also brought in Claypool, MVS and Coleman 

13 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I didn’t imply Samuel is their big hope. Not sure where you pulled that out of. 

they also brought in Claypool, MVS and Coleman 

I couldn't tell.  You seem to have implied that they brought in Samuel and some other lesser WRs because they did not think that Shakir would be their big hope.  My point is that it's simply their MO to stocking the team at WR.  Apart from Diggs it's to sign low-end starting WRs at best for relatively inexpensively and undistinguished FAs otherwise.  

31 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Samuel's not making a lot of money either depending upon how we define a lot.  It's starter money but not so much that if he doesn't do much more than he has that it would be overpaying.  

Just looking at it in terms of where we're going to get our production from.  I'd guess 5 WRs but who knows.  Oddly, MVS has been about as equally productive as Samuel has on a per-season basis to date, 

As to MVS' postseason production, have you looked at it?  In 11 postseason games he has two notable ones, an average of 37 ypg and a TD every third game.  This past postseason, his most mature, he logged a total of 8 catches for 128 yards and a TD.  That was an average of 2 catches for 32 yards/game. 

True Samuel isn't making a lot, but it's significantly more than the other guys.  Hence he's a lock.

And true about MVS' per-season production.  The difference there is he's played with some of the top QBs in the league.  And as such I don't expect him to become significantly more productive now that he's with Josh.  And his post-season production isn't amazing, it's just one of the reasons why I think he's a lock to make the team.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

True Samuel isn't making a lot, but it's significantly more than the other guys.  Hence he's a lock.

And true about MVS' per-season production.  The difference there is he's played with some of the top QBs in the league.  And as such I don't expect him to become significantly more productive now that he's with Josh.  And his post-season production isn't amazing, it's just one of the reasons why I think he's a lock to make the team.

To make the roster, absolutely.  I thought that we were talking about being the "top dog" in the WR department though.  

And yeah, agree on MVS.  

27 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

To make the roster, absolutely.  I thought that we were talking about being the "top dog" in the WR department though.  

And yeah, agree on MVS. 

I don't know if there will be a "top dog."  I think it's going to be "get open and I'll get you the ball."

27 minutes ago, Doc said:

I don't know if there will be a "top dog."  I think it's going to be "get open and I'll get you the ball."

Well, I don't claim to know, I'm on the incredibly curious side of the tracks.  

On 6/7/2024 at 11:56 AM, smward8 said:

It looks like he can fill Digs shoes.  Pretty good speed, good hands, good route runner - and Josh has begun to look for him on the field.

He just reminds me of a faster more explosive version of Cole Beasley.  Khalil will definitely be our #2 WR this season.  He can actually break a tackle unlike Beas.  You can't go wrong with Moulds as your trainer.  Shakir will have a very good season.