Khalil Shakir/Moulds video

4 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Cool he's training with Moulds.   Seems driven... heads on straight...  gotta root for him.  

I wonder, of all the players on the team, why the Bills decided to do an in-depth video on Shakir.  

Because he’s about to break 2,000 yards receiving this season. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PBF81 said:

It has to.  As 89 implies above, if it doesn't, we're in trouble barring something entirely unexpected.  

Here are the receivers of any significance last season that are returning this season;  

Kincaid:  73 for 673, 9.2, 2 TDs 

Shakir:    39 for 611, 15.7, 2 TDs 

Cook:      44 for 445, 10.1, 4 TDs  

Knox:       22 for 186, 8.5, 2 TDs  

If not from Shakir and Kincaid, then it's not happening.  

Last season Shakir ranked 6th in Catch%, 12th in YPR, 1st in Yards-per-Target, and 1st in Success%.  

I completely disagree with you and 89.  Shakir is a nice piece but there's other reasons to think we'll be productive if he doesn't produce.  You're totally undervaluing Samuel, IMO.  Claypool is the most physically talented WR on the roster.  Keon has as legitimate shot at being productive.

Shakir or we'll get no production, seems extremely dismissive of legit NFL talent on the roster and reasonable expectations for Keon.

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

image.thumb.png.8c6c7aaff0247256303d1f1b46e1aa2a.png

Shakir was thought of as a steal when drafted, and has since shown steady improvement despite limited opportunities early in each season. Had some rookie year issues, and also had some issues with drops and whatnot in camp and preseason of year two. Nevertheless, Shakir became a supremely reliable and explosive target down the stretch last season.

He's not a prototypical (?) deep boundary threat, though, so we're supposed to find only fault? Even though "prototypical #1 WRs" don't win many championships. Even though Tyreek Hill and Jalen Waddle and Amon-Ra St Brown and Puka Nacua and Cooper Kupp and the San Fran WRs and blah blah blah all seem like the perfect options in reality (despite their measured limitations off the field). 

I'd argue that having Shakir and Samuel moving around from Z to Y to tight to the backfield, with MVS, Claypool (or Shorter), and Coleman lining up wide, and Kincaid and Knox as interchangeable and moveable TEs...is a pretty great headspace for the elite #17 to be in this year. Just scheme and leverage and who gets open. No more insane egos that outlived their usefulness. Sign me up. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

10 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Cool he's training with Moulds.   Seems driven... heads on straight...  gotta root for him.  

I wonder, of all the players on the team, why the Bills decided to do an in-depth video on Shakir.  

Well, they've got to do some kind of feel-good story to help fans feel hopeful and be inspired to buy tickets.  Khalil Shakir is the only WR on the team who caught passes from Allen last season, so who else they got?

I will say his training with Moulds helped him go from a 50% catch rate to 86.7% catch rate (apparently makes him practice catching bare-handed) so...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2

7 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He was #1 in catch % amongst all WR's in the NFL, the guys ahead of him were RB's.  

Good catch!  Next WR was 5% points worse and ranked 14th.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Good catch!  Next WR was 5% points worse and ranked 14th.  

Yeah, it was a pretty remarkable stat…especially for a guy so many people told me earlier in the year “couldn’t catch” lol.  

4 hours ago, White Linen said:

I completely disagree with you and 89.  Shakir is a nice piece but there's other reasons to think we'll be productive if he doesn't produce.  You're totally undervaluing Samuel, IMO.  Claypool is the most physically talented WR on the roster.  Keon has as legitimate shot at being productive.

Shakir or we'll get no production, seems extremely dismissive of legit NFL talent on the roster and reasonable expectations for Keon.

Well, WRT Samuel, again, IYO.  I don't think that I'm undervaluing him at all, he's been a below-average WR in the NFL over 7 seasons, reasons aside.  Claypool, we'll see.  5th time's the charm players aren't high-percentage.  For Samuel it's the 8th time's the charm.  Last year there was a whole lot of talk about Harty and Sherfield too.  Keon has a moderate shot at being productive depending upon how we define productive.  I envision Samuel being no better than the fourth leading pass catcher on this team this season, if everything lines up for him.  There's way too much hype for a WR that's absurdly overrated in the "contested catch" category and whose collegiate production was based upon plays that aren't going to work nearly as well in the NFL for him.  His personality and comedy routine is great but it's not worth anything on the field.  IMO fans are going to be incredibly disappointed in his rookie performance.  

The original post of mine was in response to the hype video being Shakir stepping up.  Think as you may, but it's incredibly unlikely that if Shakir, who's got chemistry with Allen, doesn't become our top WR this season, that a WR that's never caught a pass from Allen is going to be the one to do it.  Claypool may not even make the team, and Samuel's averaged fewer than 500 yards and about 3 TDs/season.  Pretty unlikely he does it either.  

Time will tell.  :)  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah, it was a pretty remarkable stat…especially for a guy so many people told me earlier in the year “couldn’t catch” lol.  

Who said that?   That wasn't one if his weaknesses coming in via the Draft.  

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Who said that?   That wasn't one if his weaknesses coming in via the Draft.  

Exactly…but lots of people here couldn’t get over the incomplete pass in the playoffs bs the Dolphins and decided to over look that and exaggerate the tiniest sample size of a rookie and make it a thing.  

Not only was it a narrative leading up to the season where I had to keep defending Shakir, but it persisted into the season as well.

I put this thread up early in the season this year and still was getting this false narrative of he can’t catch among other things.  Lot of doozy takes in this thread and fun read ha

Shakir should be given some of Gabe’s snaps…prove me wrong

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Well, WRT Samuel, again, IYO.  I don't think that I'm undervaluing him at all, he's been a below-average WR in the NFL over 7 seasons,

reasons aside.  Claypool, we'll see.  5th time's the charm players aren't high-percentage.  For Samuel it's the 8th time's the charm.  Last year there was a whole lot of talk about Harty and Sherfield too.  Keon has a moderate shot at being productive depending upon how we define productive.  I envision Samuel being no better than the fourth leading pass catcher on this team this season, if everything lines up for him. 

Depending upon how you define productive...or for that matter "average"

How do you define average?  And productive?

13 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

image.thumb.png.8c6c7aaff0247256303d1f1b46e1aa2a.png

Shakir was thought of as a steal when drafted, and has since shown steady improvement despite limited opportunities early in each season. Had some rookie year issues, and also had some issues with drops and whatnot in camp and preseason of year two. Nevertheless, Shakir became a supremely reliable and explosive target down the stretch last season.

He's not a prototypical (?) deep boundary threat, though, so we're supposed to find only fault? Even though "prototypical #1 WRs" don't win many championships. Even though Tyreek Hill and Jalen Waddle and Amon-Ra St Brown and Puka Nacua and Cooper Kupp and the San Fran WRs and blah blah blah all seem like the perfect options in reality (despite their measured limitations off the field). 

I'd argue that having Shakir and Samuel moving around from Z to Y to tight to the backfield, with MVS, Claypool (or Shorter), and Coleman lining up wide, and Kincaid and Knox as interchangeable and moveable TEs...is a pretty great headspace for the elite #17 to be in this year. Just scheme and leverage and who gets open. No more insane egos that outlived their usefulness. Sign me up. 

Why do so many people here people think Cooper Kupp is small😂😂

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Well, WRT Samuel, again, IYO.  I don't think that I'm undervaluing him at all, he's been a below-average WR in the NFL over 7 seasons, reasons aside.  Claypool, we'll see.  5th time's the charm players aren't high-percentage.  For Samuel it's the 8th time's the charm.  Last year there was a whole lot of talk about Harty and Sherfield too.  Keon has a moderate shot at being productive depending upon how we define productive.  I envision Samuel being no better than the fourth leading pass catcher on this team this season, if everything lines up for him.  There's way too much hype for a WR that's absurdly overrated in the "contested catch" category and whose collegiate production was based upon plays that aren't going to work nearly as well in the NFL for him.  His personality and comedy routine is great but it's not worth anything on the field.  IMO fans are going to be incredibly disappointed in his rookie performance.  

The original post of mine was in response to the hype video being Shakir stepping up.  Think as you may, but it's incredibly unlikely that if Shakir, who's got chemistry with Allen, doesn't become our top WR this season, that a WR that's never caught a pass from Allen is going to be the one to do it.  Claypool may not even make the team, and Samuel's averaged fewer than 500 yards and about 3 TDs/season.  Pretty unlikely he does it either.  

Josh will be the best QB either Samuel or Claypool have ever played with and both eclipsed 850 yards at points in their careers, compared to Sherfield whose best season was 417 yards.  If Claypool can be motivated (and at this stage of his career he has every reason to be) he can be a big boost to the offense while Samuel's speed has been sorely lacking.  Shakir will see a bigger role and Kincaid should continue building on his strong rookie season.  Then you add-in Cook, Davis (who is supposed to be an excellent receiver) and don't forget Knox.  Anyone outside of them producing will be gravy.

Edited by Doc

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Doc said:

Josh will be the best QB either Samuel or Claypool have ever played with and both eclipsed 850 yards at points in their careers, compared to Sherfield whose best season was 417 yards.  If Claypool can be motivated (and at this stage of his career he has every reason to be) he can be a big boost to the offense while Samuel's speed has been sorely lacking.  Shakir will see a bigger role and Kincaid should continue building on his strong rookie season.  Then you add-in Cook, Davis (who is supposed to be an excellent receiver) and don't forget Knox.  Anyone outside of them producing will be gravy.

I guess Coleman=Gravy

43 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Why isn't Moulds on the staff to help groom Coleman/Claypool also? 

Can he be on the staff and also have his own business?

Edited by LeGOATski

22 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:
23 hours ago, Buffalo4Life01 said:

They released a video last year hyping up Gabe Davis and I actually fell for it.  I hope this time it works out a little differently lol.  

22 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I am guilty of the same thing, I was pumped after I saw how hard Davis was working out and then the season he faded.

This is the time of year where there's not too much going and all the media turns into "hype" media and it's easy to get caught up in it. Pundits start to make claims that someones gonna be great this year because of x or y but truth is we dont know til we actually know so i generally take all of this kinda stuff with a grain of salt. 

1 hour ago, Iiiiiiiiive Got a Feeeelin said:

This is the time of year where there's not too much going and all the media turns into "hype" media and it's easy to get caught up in it. Pundits start to make claims that someones gonna be great this year because of x or y but truth is we dont know til we actually know so i generally take all of this kinda stuff with a grain of salt. 

Fair enough but if you invest 20 minutes into this video you can see the Shakir is humble and hardworking, two qualities not every WR has. He proved it on the field in the second half of last year and i have higher expectations for him this year. Will he be Pro Bowl? I don't know. But he will be good and get better. 

It's refreshing to see a player like him after a lot of Diggs type of attention-seeking wide receivers.

• Like (+1) 1

I could do without knowing his favorite Japanese snack choices.  Too much time was spent on all that.  As for the workouts, it's interesting that he got together with Moulds, who would be in the HOF if he'd had a decent QB throwing to him.  I always thought Moulds was a dedicated, talented professional, and it's fine that Shakir is being guided by him. And anyone who thinks they could step on a football field and do what Shakir does, should ask if they could match those workouts for agility, speed, strength, quickness, and balance.  

Josh Allen started out with the Bills with terrible mechanics, and he spent offseason time for at least two summers working with Jordan Palmer, and the results were of course incredible.  I don't think Shakir was deficient when he got to the Bills, but if he can improve even a fraction of the amount that Allen did, he's going to be great.  

18 hours ago, PBF81 said:

If Claypool doesn't make the team, we're in bigger trouble than if Shakir isn't the "top WR".  Believing if Shakir isn't the top dog, we're done for, is totally ridiculous.  There's just too many possibilities for that to be true.  You clearly know very very little about Samuel.

• Eyeroll 1