Which battle in camp are you watching the closest?

12 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So I guess that means 70% of this board are pro-scout level analysts because they too thought EJ Manuel was a bad pick and was gonna suck. 

No. I personally wouldn't say that. Very few people on this board are anywhere near being pro-scout level analysts. I would, however, say that 70% of the people on this board are closer to being pro-scout level analysts than Doug Whaley had been.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Meaning you are on the more common reaction side of not loving the Coleman pick...like how preferring Rosen was the more popular stance over Allen.  

Roger

I don't remember, was there that much support for Rosen over Allen?  

As to Coleman, maybe I'm off, but the majority angle here anyway appears to be positive?  No?  

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You are just furthering my point agreeing that all these "analysts" have done no where near the work NFL Scouting departments have, don't have the skills, and draw off a few other hobbiest who made a website for people like us to read.  

And every argument you made against Coleman was quoting one of these analysts who you just said rarely do their own analysis in the first place and mostly base it on highlight videos.  

None of this matters...we will see what Coleman can or can't do soon enoughj

Exactly!  But as to the scouting departments, consider how many times they're off.  So no, I don't necessarily trust them anymore than I trust anyone else.  My track record, the public one, is better than theirs on the top picks anyway.  It's largely because I don't care if I'm wrong on a few, I call it as I see it.  I'm not trying to keep a job doing that and therefore hiding behind the prevailing analyses.  

Here's the thing, when reviewing players, I far too often see the end results of assessments/analyses highlighting only the highlights, which again, are often against competition that's not typically found in the NFL, or situations that aren't.  

Point being, it's our professional "expert" scouting staff(s) that produced the likes of players in rounds 1 & 2 like Rousseau, Basham, Ford, Zay Jones, Lawson, Darby, Ragland, Watkins, Kouandjio, Spiller, Troupe, Hardy, and others.  I offered my diametric dissension on a bunch of those, at least insofar as being drafted in rounds 1 or 2 went, and particularly players like Watkins and Jones (and now Coleman by similar standards), and Hardy from years prior.  Sure I've been off, but not as much as the professionals.  So I'm quite comfortable with my methodologies and I'd be happy to put 'em up against anyone in the business, at least for the handful of picks that I do look at.  I make my mistakes, just not as frequently.  I was big on Edmunds, but so were they, obviously.  

But you're right, none of it matters, and I didn't say the above as a LAM, just to say that I trust my own anaylses more than I trust those of others, again, for the picks that I actually spend time on.  In fairness, media guys don't have that kind of time to analyze a couple hundred players like that, but entire scouting departments should have all the time in the world, particularly for the players that they're heavily interested in.  So no excuses at all there.  And they travel to games too.  

I think the biggest question on the O-line is how quickly Sedrick Van Pran Granger can develop as a rookie.  Otherwise, I think the O-line is pretty well set with Dawkins-Edwards-McGovern-Torrence-Brown.  If Van Pran Granger develops quickly, he could push McGovern back to guard and Edwards back to the bench, but that's about the only drama I see. 

I think it will be interesting to see how the receiving group shakes out.  Yes, there are some locks like Coleman, Shakir, Samuel and Scantling.  After that, it gets interesting.  Some think Mack Hollins is a lock or close to it, but it sounds like Chase Claypool might force the Bills to give him some serious consideration.  Shorter is pretty athletic for a big guy, and one of the speedy smurfs (Hamler and Isabella) could make a case for a role too.  I think the Bills are likely to carry 6 receivers and somebody could be a real tough cut. 

Safety is probably the position at which there are the most questions.  Cole Bishop is a promising rookie, but safety is a mentally challenging position in the Bills' defense and one wonders if any rookie can step in and perform well as a starter.  Rapp is savvy enough and physical, but he can be a liability in coverage because of his lack of speed.  I like the pickup of Mike Edwards and I hope it can compare to the free agent signing of Poyer or Hyde a few years back.  We've heard more positives out of the OTAs on Hamlin than any of us expected.  He's not ever going to be a starter, but I wonder if he's finally ready to become a decent backup.  I think he and Delaney will battle for a roster spot.

I think linebacker will be pretty interesting.  Of course, Milano and Bernard seem set as starters, but there is a lot of talent behind them.  Specter looked like he belongs on the field when he played last season.  Dorian Williams had some rookie issues last season, but he's kind of a freaky athlete and if he matures like Bernard did from his rookie to his sophomore season he could be a very high quality depth player.  Deion Jones and Morrow are quality backups, especially if Jones can turn back the clock a bit.  I think probably Morrow and Jones will be fighting for the fifth and final roster spot while Andreeson and Ulofoshio are fighting for a PS spot. 

At cornerback, the biggest question I see is whether Elam can justify his continued presence on the team and perhaps push for some reps in relief of the starters. 

On 6/7/2024 at 7:10 AM, BuffaloBillyG said:

The ones I'm watching closely :

1. IOL: While we see what the pieces are we have no idea how this puzzle comes together. It seems to be Edwards at LG and McGovern at C for this year. But can someone swoop in and take one of those spots? Who's left standing for depth?

This for sure since I might be alone on an island where I think the Bills best 5 might be full continuity with the single change being Anderson replacing Morse at C. I was thinking that may have been a viable lineup since last preseason and most years we might have gotten a taste but owing to a complete outlier healthy year on the OL.

• Like (+1) 1

QB. I’m not really sold on that Josh Allen guy and would like to see Mitch push him in camp. I really wanted to Bills bring in a mid rounder to see if we can get good starting level play from the most important position in sports. Maybe we should bring in Josh Rosen to see what he has left in the tank? Iron sharpens iron.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.