Eagles-Packers No Green in Brazil

1 hour ago, sherpa said:

No fly zones?

I been to every country south of the border except Guyana, French Guiana and Suriname.

The only place I would never leave the airport since about 2013 is anywhere in Venezuela.

Caracas was horrible so we stopped laying over there, and most companies stopped all service.

The rest of them are fine if you know what you're doing.

The cartel thing is a mostly Mexico thing. There's still a bit of it in Colombia, but they don't bother tourists for the most part

I really like Colombia. Took my wife there a few times.

If you do stupid things, like wear expensive jewelry, flash money, go to bars alone or be obviously loud and stay late, you're asking for trouble.

I would never use an ATM unless it was indoors.

Ten years of doing it and never had a problem.

Whenever we had a new person, I would tell them that unlike the NFL, there is no "incidental contact."

If someone is in your "space," you are either being robbed, have been robbed or will be shortly.

Again, never had a problem, but we never left the hotel compound in Caracas, and then they ended all layovers.

The other thing about an NFL game is that the Brazilians know it is extremely high vis and they will aggressively police the area to make it safe.

They pulled off the Olympics in Rio, which with there favelas, is far more dangerous than the nice areas of Sau Paulo.

Just my view.

lol. You first started by questioning me talking about it being unsafe and then wrote a thesis on how unsafe it is and things to watch out for. Got it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, mrags said:

lol. You first started by questioning me talking about it being unsafe and then wrote a thesis on how unsafe it is and things to watch out for. Got it. 

Sorry if you're offended.

I mentioned things you have to watch out for, as you would in any big city and ae an obvious non resident who probably doesn't speak the language.

There are probably over a thousand US airline crews in South/Central America every night, and very few troubles, and those have obvious characteristics.

Again, just my view.

• Dislike 1

13 hours ago, Brand J said:

If they didn’t want green, the only pairing worse would be the Jets and Eagles.

Great job, NFL. None of them want to be playing a game all the way in São Paulo Brazil anyway.

Wearing their green "color rush" jerseys...

3 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Sorry if you're offended.

I mentioned things you have to watch out for, as you would in any big city and ae an obvious non resident who probably doesn't speak the language.

There are probably over a thousand US airline crews in South/Central America every night, and very few troubles, and those have obvious characteristics.

Again, just my view.

You didn’t offend me. I just find it funny that you compare some of the things you said with living in a large city. It’s not the same. I guarantee your guard is up and you are more aware of your surroundings in any city in central or South America than you are in say Manhattan, or Nashville, or Dallas. You said it yourself, if your personal space is being invaded you are being robbed, have been robbed, or about to be. I’ve been to many countries myself, and I’m no beginner when it comes to sniffing out shady areas. I’ve never been to Rio, and I’d love to go. But I’m not going to kid myself and pretend there wouldnt be some risk involved. It’s not like heading to NYC for the weekend. 

4 hours ago, Gregg said:

It doesn't happen that much today but back in the Giants Stadium days there were always fights in the stands between Bills and Jets fans. There was a Monday night game where the crowd was especially rowdy. The Bills beat the Jets bad something like 37-14 and there so many fights that the Meadowlands banned selling alcohol after halftime after that. That rule still applies today. This was back in the late 80's/early 90's. It was the rowdiest game I was ever at.

The rowdiest crowd I've been at was a Jets-Bills game...in Buffalo. Opener, SNF. I saw so many fights in the stands! But... the worst part to me ha ha... most of the fights were between... drunk Bills fans! Not between the fans of the two teams.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, mrags said:

You didn’t offend me. I just find it funny that you compare some of the things you said with living in a large city. It’s not the same. I guarantee your guard is up and you are more aware of your surroundings in any city in central or South America than you are in say Manhattan, or Nashville, or Dallas. You said it yourself, if your personal space is being invaded you are being robbed, have been robbed, or about to be. I’ve been to many countries myself, and I’m no beginner when it comes to sniffing out shady areas. I’ve never been to Rio, and I’d love to go. But I’m not going to kid myself and pretend there wouldnt be some risk involved. It’s not like heading to NYC for the weekend. 

I pretty much never agree with you.

However, I agree with you on this

Beverly Hills GIF by Slice

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

The rowdiest crowd I've been at was a Jets-Bills game...in Buffalo. Opener, SNF. I saw so many fights in the stands! But... the worst part to me ha ha... most of the fights were between... drunk Bills fans! Not between the fans of the two teams.

This is what happened at Giants Stadium on this night.

4. Oct. 17, 1988 ­— Bills 37, Jets 14

The “Pumpkin Game” featured 41 incidents of improper behavior in the stands, 15 arrests and 56 ejections. Fans burned complimentary paper hats in the stands and batted around an inflated pumpkin. This game led to the stadium halting beer sales after halftime during night games.

• Haha (+1) 2

14 hours ago, bigduke6 said:

this doesnt surprise me one bit.   USWNT played in Mexico some time ago,  and the stadium had fully kitted armed security ringing the pitch.  body armor,  tac helmets,  pistols,  the whole shebang,  for what was a tiny crowd compared to the capacity of the stadium they played in.  Central and South America is no joke.  the security situation down there is a mess.   so you want to send celebrity millionaires to some of the highest per capita cities for kidnapping,  riding around in armored vehicles?   the insurance companies must be having a fit.   next WWC is in Brazil,  and you have to wonder how safe its going to be for all the teams/players.  no hate to these countries,  but you cant ignore just how unsafe it is for foreigners,  even in the tourist zones.   you couldnt pay me to go to Mexico,  the cartels run a 1/4 of that country outright,  and have their fingers in nearly everything else in the other parts.  Brazil isnt much better.

just another example of how your boss really doesnt care about you.  its all about the money.

Only Brazil and Mexico have more muders per year than the United States. Colombia averages almost 10,000 less murders per year.

Typical ignorant Americans, as usual.

I've been in Bolivia for two weeks and will be here, Chile, and Brazil backpacking for another 7 weeks. It's muy tranquilo aqui. I frequented TJ and Baja for years and never had an issue. Sure, bad things happen sometimes, but don't pretend the U.S. is some safe peaceful country. 

I swear one American hears about a kidnapping or murder, oh boy! Those dangerous countries! Heck, Buffalo has one of the highest murder rates in the U.S. High than Oakland, where I live.

Don't let facts get in the way, though. 

Have fun in Disneyland, bro. 

• Haha (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, mrags said:

I didn't say there weren't common sense, practical considerations.

I commented because of your claim that this was a "no fly" zone, which is, in my view, a gross exaggeration, and not at all what I experienced over the years.

If the discussion ever comes around to doing business in many of those countries, I would have a completely different take, based on personal experience and those of friends.

In thirty two years of doing this, I've been the target of pickpocket attempt three times, none successful.

Once in Milan, once in Barcelona, (my wife was with me and she had no idea, thus was shocked when I physically responded to end it, until I explained it to her).

The other time was in Sao Paulo after coming out of an ATM, but the body language gave it away at about ten feet, and the pickpocket knew I was on to him and turned away.

Far worse was Moscow. I was supposed to fly four trips there one month, but after the first two, when my hotel room had been sloppily gone through in my absence, with no serious attempt to hide the action, I traded the last two trips for other ones.

Russian visa applications are extremely detailed, and both of us who had answered yes to military service had our rooms gone through.

I've taken my wife to Colombia, Montevideo, Uruguay, Santiago Chile, and many times to Buenos Aires.

Never worried about it.

3 minutes ago, bigduke6 said:

i guess,  bro.  lol smh.  gl with your trip,  bro.   god i love people who throw brooooo in.  lol.   there isnt a thing in my original post that isnt true,  broooooooo.  you also assume alot about the poster,  broooooo.    lol.

They have a thread for that. We are TBD, after all.   😋

So, there are what?, 3 NFL teams with green as a main color scheme, and the NFL puts 2 of them in one game against each other in a place where that color poses a threat. 
Great foresight. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, SoMAn said:

So, there are what?, 3 NFL teams with green as a main color scheme, and the NFL puts 2 of them in one game against each other in a place where that color poses a threat. 
Great foresight. 

This is why Roger gets the BOOOS! I used to think that was silly.  I’ve come around on that one. 

/Thread.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/josh-jacobs-apologizes-for-misinformed-statement-about-wearing-green-in-brazil

Packers running back Josh Jacobs has apologized for spreading misinformation about the NFL’s preparations for the Week One Packers-Eagles game in Brazil.

Jacobs said on Chris Long’s podcast that players weren’t supposed to wear green while they’re in Brazil, as a safety precaution because it’s a color associated with violent gangs. The NFL has said that is inaccurate, and now Jacobs has acknowledged as much.

“Damn I was misinformed,” Jacobs wrote on Instagram. “Sorry Brazil see you soon.”

The misinformation apparently stemmed from the game’s venue, Arena Corinthians in São Paulo, where the home soccer team Corinthians tells its players not to wear the color green because it’s worn by rival Palmeiras. But it doesn’t apply to American football teams playing in the stadium, and there will be plenty of green on the field and in the stands for the Packers-Eagles game on September 6.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, sherpa said:

I didn't say there weren't common sense, practical considerations.

I commented because of your claim that this was a "no fly" zone, which is, in my view, a gross exaggeration, and not at all what I experienced over the years.

If the discussion ever comes around to doing business in many of those countries, I would have a completely different take, based on personal experience and those of friends.

In thirty two years of doing this, I've been the target of pickpocket attempt three times, none successful.

Once in Milan, once in Barcelona, (my wife was with me and she had no idea, thus was shocked when I physically responded to end it, until I explained it to her).

The other time was in Sao Paulo after coming out of an ATM, but the body language gave it away at about ten feet, and the pickpocket knew I was on to him and turned away.

Far worse was Moscow. I was supposed to fly four trips there one month, but after the first two, when my hotel room had been sloppily gone through in my absence, with no serious attempt to hide the action, I traded the last two trips for other ones.

Russian visa applications are extremely detailed, and both of us who had answered yes to military service had our rooms gone through.

I've taken my wife to Colombia, Montevideo, Uruguay, Santiago Chile, and many times to Buenos Aires.

Never worried about it.

You keep explaining in a way, telling us that it’s overblown and keep citing multiple times where you’ve have run ins with criminal activity. lol. I’m not sure you understand. Keep digging the hole your in I guess. 

I think it’s hilarious that you’re arguing that Brazil as well as those other cities are on CBP, and The State Departments travel advisory lists. lol. While Brazil is only listed as a level 2 to “exercise increased caution”, many of those other countries youve listed are level 3 “reconsider travel” or even level four “do not travel”. 

here’s some info right from the state departments website though. You seem to be so seasoned with your travel I’m sure you know all about it. But for the common person that believes what you are telling them, maybe they should see for themselves before they get hurt thinking it’s a safe place. 

“Exercise increased caution in Brazil due to crime. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory.

Do not travel to:

Any areas within 150 km/100 miles of Brazil’s land borders with Venezuela, Colombia, Peru, Bolivia, Guyana, Suriname, French Guiana, and Paraguay due to crime. (Note: This does not apply to the Foz do Iguacu National Park or Pantanal National Park.)

Informal housing developments (commonly referred to in Brazil as favelas, vilas, comunidades, and/or conglomerados) at any time of day due to crime (see additional information below).

Brasilia’s administrative regions (commonly known as “satellite cities”) of Ceilandia, Santa Maria, Sao Sebastiao, and Paranoa during non-daylight hours due to crime (see additional information below).

Country Summary:  Violent crime, such as murder, armed robbery, and carjacking, is common in urban areas, day and night. Gang activity and organized crime is widespread. Assaults, including with sedatives and drugs placed in drinks, are common.

U.S. government personnel are discouraged from using municipal buses in all parts of Brazil due to an elevated risk of robbery and assault at any time of day, and especially at night.

If you decide to travel to Brazil: 

Be aware of your surroundings.

Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.

Do not accept food or drinks from strangers.

Use caution when walking or driving at night.

Avoid going to bars or nightclubs alone.

Avoid walking on beaches after dark.

Do not display signs of wealth, such as wearing expensive watches or jewelry.

Be extra vigilant when visiting banks or ATMs.

Use caution at, or going to, major transportation centers or on public transportation, especially at night.

Passengers face an elevated risk of robbery or assault using public, municipal bus transportation throughout Brazil.

Use increased caution when hiking in isolated areas.”

“International Borders – Level 4: Do Not Travel

U.S. government personnel are not permitted to travel to areas within 150 km/100 miles of the international land borders with Venezuela, Colombia, Peru, Bolivia, Guyana, Suriname, French Guiana, and Paraguay without advance approval from security officials due to crime. Travel to the Foz do Iguacu National Park and Pantanal National Park is permitted.

Visit our website for Travel to High-Risk Areas.

Informal Housing Developments (commonly known as “Favelas”) – Level 4: Do Not Travel

Do not travel to informal housing developments (commonly referred to in Brazil as favelas, vilas, comunidades, and/or conglomerados), even on a guided tour.  Neither the tour companies nor the police can guarantee your safety when entering these communities.  Even in these communities that the police or local governments deem safe, the situation can change quickly and without notice.  While some informal housing developments have clear boundaries or gates, or even names such as “favela”, “vila”, “comunidade”, or “conglomerado”, other such developments may be less obvious, and may be identified by crowded quarters, poorer conditions, and/or irregular construction.  In addition, exercise caution in areas surrounding these communities, as occasionally, inter-gang fighting and confrontations with police move beyond the confines of these communities.  Except under limited circumstances and with advance approval, U.S. government personnel are not permitted to enter any informal housing developments in Brazil. Read the Safety and Security Section on the country information page and consult the maps on the Embassy’s website for further information regarding favelas.

Visit our website for Travel High-Risk Areas.

Brasilia’s Administrative Regions (commonly known as “Satellite Cities”) – Level 4: Do Not Travel

Without advance approval from security officials, U.S. government personnel are not permitted to travel to Brasilia’s Administrative Regions of Ceilandia, Santa Maria, Sao Sebastiao, and Paranoa between the hours of 6:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. (non-daylight hours) due to crime.“

enjoy your night. 

Edited by mrags

1 hour ago, mrags said:

You keep explaining in a way, telling us that it’s overblown and keep citing multiple times where you’ve have run ins with criminal activity. lol. I’m not sure you understand. Keep digging the hole your in I guess. 

I think it’s hilarious that you’re arguing that Brazil as well as those other cities are on CBP, and The State Departments travel advisory lists. lol. While Brazil is only listed as a level 2 to “exercise increased caution”, many of those other countries youve listed are level 3 “reconsider travel” or even level four “do not travel”. 

here’s some info right from the state departments website though. You seem to be so seasoned with your travel I’m sure you know all about it. But for the common person that believes what you are telling them, maybe they should see for themselves before they get hurt thinking it’s a safe place. 

“Exercise increased caution in Brazil due to crime. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory.

Do not travel to:

Any areas within 150 km/100 miles of Brazil’s land borders with Venezuela, Colombia, Peru, Bolivia, Guyana, Suriname, French Guiana, and Paraguay due to crime. (Note: This does not apply to the Foz do Iguacu National Park or Pantanal National Park.)

Informal housing developments (commonly referred to in Brazil as favelas, vilas, comunidades, and/or conglomerados) at any time of day due to crime (see additional information below).

Brasilia’s administrative regions (commonly known as “satellite cities”) of Ceilandia, Santa Maria, Sao Sebastiao, and Paranoa during non-daylight hours due to crime (see additional information below).

Country Summary:  Violent crime, such as murder, armed robbery, and carjacking, is common in urban areas, day and night. Gang activity and organized crime is widespread. Assaults, including with sedatives and drugs placed in drinks, are common.

U.S. government personnel are discouraged from using municipal buses in all parts of Brazil due to an elevated risk of robbery and assault at any time of day, and especially at night.

Use caution at, or going to, major transportation centers or on public transportation, especially at night.

Passengers face an elevated risk of robbery or assault using public, municipal bus transportation throughout Brazil.

U.S. government personnel are not permitted to travel to areas within 150 km/100 miles of the international land borders with Venezuela, Colombia, Peru, Bolivia, Guyana, Suriname, French Guiana, and Paraguay without advance approval from security officials due to crime. Travel to the Foz do Iguacu National Park and Pantanal National Park is permitted.

Informal Housing Developments (commonly known as “Favelas”) – Level 4: Do Not Travel

Do not travel to informal housing developments (commonly referred to in Brazil as favelas, vilas, comunidades, and/or conglomerados), even on a guided tour.  Neither the tour companies nor the police can guarantee your safety when entering these communities.  Even in these communities that the police or local governments deem safe, the situation can change quickly and without notice.  While some informal housing developments have clear boundaries or gates, or even names such as “favela”, “vila”, “comunidade”, or “conglomerado”, other such developments may be less obvious, and may be identified by crowded quarters, poorer conditions, and/or irregular construction.  In addition, exercise caution in areas surrounding these communities, as occasionally, inter-gang fighting and confrontations with police move beyond the confines of these communities.  Except under limited circumstances and with advance approval, U.S. government personnel are not permitted to enter any informal housing developments in Brazil. Read the Safety and Security Section on the country information page and consult the maps on the Embassy’s website for further information regarding favelas.

Brasilia’s Administrative Regions (commonly known as “Satellite Cities”) – Level 4: Do Not Travel

Without advance approval from security officials, U.S. government personnel are not permitted to travel to Brasilia’s Administrative Regions of Ceilandia, Santa Maria, Sao Sebastiao, and Paranoa between the hours of 6:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. (non-daylight hours) due to crime.“

enjoy your night. 

Sounds like a bucket list vacation! LOL

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mrags said:

Do not travel to:

enjoy your night. 

I simply don't care.

I have done what I have done.

Been there a billion times, ran a business constructing a 66' custom catamaran yacht and providing all the flooring and cabinets for a 36 unit condo building here, all from Paraguay.

I have a view, and I have no interest in changing anyone else's view.

Again, no need to convince anyone of anything.

Never have.

54 minutes ago, sherpa said:

I simply don't care.

Been there a billion times, ran a business constructing a 66' custom catamaran yacht and providing all the flooring and cabinets for a 36 unit condo building here, all from Paraguay.

Never have.

You seem to be missing the point. You e admitted several times about the dangers of being there. Then in the very next sentences talked about how it isn’t that bad. Can’t have it both ways. My argument is, was, and will be that none of those places that you admitted to having shady dealings in, are your regular city in the US. It’s just a fact. You don’t need to be so defensive about it. 

7 hours ago, mrags said:

You seem to be missing the point. You e admitted several times about the dangers of being there. Then in the very next sentences talked about how it isn’t that bad. Can’t have it both ways. My argument is, was, and will be that none of those places that you admitted to having shady n dealings in, are your regular city in the US. It’s just a fact. You don’t need to be so defensive about it. 

I have never been a part of any "shady" dealings.

There are issues  that must be overcome conducting business there, but just as challenging and frustrating is getting goods through customs in Miami.

Calling the continent a "no fly zone" is just a gross judgement.

There are many wonderful places to visit, and I have been enriched by having friends in those areas,

Think what you want.

A good friend of mine’s twenty one year old son was murdered while visiting Mexico as have many many others. The issue here is not the per capita murder ‘rate’ but who are the targets. It’s VERY rare that a tourist is murdered while visiting the United States. 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, sherpa said:

I simply don't care.

Never have.

No offense, but I’m gonna go with the abundance of caution that the State Department provides.  Your assessment sounds like the guy who says “Yeah, my grandfather smoked four packs a day and lived to 100, so it must be safe”

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.