Eagles-Packers No Green in Brazil

10 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

So, there's a thing about gang warfare and wearing green is dangerous? And the NFL said, let's get the Packers and the Eagles to play there?

If green cleats were a problem for a soccer player, what exactly are these teams supposed to do about their uniforms?

Right. Special helmets needed?

2 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I wore a bills jersey in KC 2 season ago, and while people gave me some grief but nobody was particularly hostile?  I did go with a group of chiefs fans though.  Scariest dude i've probably ever met (probably 6'8 350 biker dude with a mohawk and his head painted like a chiefs helmet) was actually really nice in the beer line.  The issue there is just how cocky and condescending their fans are towards the rest of the league.  It's obnoxious and they desperately need a humbling.  

Philly fans have a bad history of violence, but i feel like you'd probably be ok at this point.  It's likely very similar to buffalo - a couple hundred bad apples needing to perpetuate a stereotype.  In buffalo thats... drinking in massive excess, and performing dangerous table related stunts.  In philly its also drinking in massive excess and being jerks to just about everyone and everything.  

It doesn't happen that much today but back in the Giants Stadium days there were always fights in the stands between Bills and Jets fans. There was a Monday night game where the crowd was especially rowdy. The Bills beat the Jets bad something like 37-14 and there so many fights that the Meadowlands banned selling alcohol after halftime after that. That rule still applies today. This was back in the late 80's/early 90's. It was the rowdiest game I was ever at.

7 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

It's overblown. This is like saying "don't wear red in Crip territory!!" as if any Joe Schmoe is gonna get jumped for that alone.

If you're an obvious outsider/tourist, they don't give a ***** about you.

Tourists have been traveling to Brazil for decades.

Kidnapping is big business down there. They absolutely give a ***** about you and your money 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

I traveled in Brazil for work on several occasions.  We always had armed security.  It is a much more dangerous place than many people realize.  Americans stand out there because we often dress differently, speak differently, and definitely are seen as spending larger amounts of money than locals. Americans are targets for criminals. Kidnapping, robbery, and violent assaults to tourists are not uncommon.  In some places, local law enforcement is corrupt and enables the dangerous environment to exist.  There's not a chance that I would go there for a game and I find it hard to believe that the NFL chose to schedule a game there.

Yeah a lot of people seem to think it’s a joke. Like it’s a safe place to be. It’s not. Mexico, Columbia, Barazil, jist about anywhere else in Central America. No fly zones for the most part. The reasons why Mexico does so well with tourism is because it’s cheap, and the cartels run all the tourist spots. You don’t have small time crime like robbings, muggin, rape (I know not small by any means) happen very much in tourist areas. Because the cartels run the areas. It’s when cartels battle and feud over areas when it makes it unsafe.  

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Gregg said:

It doesn't happen that much today but back in the Giants Stadium days there were always fights in the stands between Bills and Jets fans. There was a Monday night game where the crowd was especially rowdy. The Bills beat the Jets bad something like 37-14 and there so many fights that the Meadowlands banned selling alcohol after halftime after that. That rule still applies today. This was back in the late 80's/early 90's. It was the rowdiest game I was ever at.

There's definitely still fights but... most stadiums are pretty serious about it and there's a fan hotline to text if you ever feel threatened.  It's the... i'll handle this business myself crowd that tends to escalate it.  I've used it at the bills stadium and they tossed people very quickly (my wife's a patriots fan and a girl behind us dumped a beer on her sisters head).  They walked up and i stood up and pointed at the girl who did it.  Her friends relocated to another section because there's really no recourse.  What are you going to punch me in front of security?  

There was normal ribbing - "how can you marry a patriots fan?!" "We got married in August, they weren't playing that day".  But the super drunk girl was too much.  

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue

This is funny and not funny at the same time.

It seems as in Goddell needs to hire someone who has random knowledge…like the best bar trivia guy ever who just watches YouTube shorts all day.

Someone in a meeting about playing in Brazil and this dude saying “y’all better not wear green or you a** might get shot!”

Or a color rush game and him saying “y’all better not have them wear red and green because colored blind folks will have a hard a** time watching it.”

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

There's definitely still fights but... most stadiums are pretty serious about it and there's a fan hotline to text if you ever feel threatened.  It's the... i'll handle this business myself crowd that tends to escalate it.  I've used it at the bills stadium and they tossed people very quickly (my wife's a patriots fan and a girl behind us dumped a beer on her sisters head).  They walked up and i stood up and pointed at the girl who did it.  Her friends relocated to another section because there's really no recourse.  What are you going to punch me in front of security?  

A big part of it here in NJ is many of the fans got priced out when they went from Giants Stadium to MetLife. You have more of a corporate crowd now. I would expect the same thing will happen in Buffalo were many fans get priced out at the new stadium.

11 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

So, there's a thing about gang warfare and wearing green is dangerous? And the NFL said, let's get the Packers and the Eagles to play there?

If green cleats were a problem for a soccer player, what exactly are these teams supposed to do about their uniforms?

The article doesn't speak to gang rivalry, but to home team sports rivalry.   Like telling folks not to wear green/yellow when you go to a Bears game.  Soccer fans are N U T S !

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mrags said:

Yeah a lot of people seem to think it’s a joke. Like it’s a safe place to be. It’s not. Mexico, Columbia, Barazil, jist about anywhere else in Central America. No fly zones for the most part. The reasons why Mexico does so well with tourism is because it’s cheap, and the cartels run all the tourist spots. You don’t have small time crime like robbings, muggin, rape (I know not small by any means) happen very much in tourist areas. Because the cartels run the areas. It’s when cartels battle and feud over areas when it makes it unsafe.  

No fly zones?

I been to every country south of the border except Guyana, French Guiana and Suriname.

The only place I would never leave the airport since about 2013 is anywhere in Venezuela.

Caracas was horrible so we stopped laying over there, and most companies stopped all service.

The rest of them are fine if you know what you're doing.

The cartel thing is a mostly Mexico thing. There's still a bit of it in Colombia, but they don't bother tourists for the most part

I really like Colombia. Took my wife there a few times.

If you do stupid things, like wear expensive jewelry, flash money, go to bars alone or be obviously loud and stay late, you're asking for trouble.

I would never use an ATM unless it was indoors.

Ten years of doing it and never had a problem.

Whenever we had a new person, I would tell them that unlike the NFL, there is no "incidental contact."

If someone is in your "space," you are either being robbed, have been robbed or will be shortly.

Again, never had a problem, but we never left the hotel compound in Caracas, and then they ended all layovers.

The other thing about an NFL game is that the Brazilians know it is extremely high vis and they will aggressively police the area to make it safe.

They pulled off the Olympics in Rio, which with there favelas, is far more dangerous than the nice areas of Sau Paulo.

Just my view.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

There is no mention of "gangs" in the reason the NFL (per Jacobs) said to avoid green--the reason is clearly mentioned in the article.  As others pointed out, the Brazilian team wears green.

This is only a story because of Josh Jacobs fever dream s of armored vehicles, etc.

And it's always a treat to see people blame this on Goodell--even though it clearly isn't his decision to put teams out of the country for NFL games.  To such posters, Terry, Jerry and the rest say: "oh bless your little heart!".

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

There is no mention of "gangs" in the reason the NFL (per Jacobs) said to avoid green--the reason is clearly mentioned in the article.  As others pointed out, the Brazilian team wears green.

This is only a story because of Josh Jacobs fever dream s of armored vehicles, etc.

And it's always a treat to see people blame this on Goodell--even though it clearly isn't his decision to put teams out of the country for NFL games.  To such posters, Terry, Jerry and the rest say: "oh bless your little heart!".

Goodell has no say in any of these international games at all?

6 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Goodell has no say in any of these international games at all?

He's the messenger.  He can't tell the owners ("The NFL") where their teams are going to play.  I'm sure he's all in on the company making all the money it can--and they pay him an insane amount of money to deliver their decisions to the public.  They pay him all that money to be the smiling face of the league always pelted with  a chorus of boos---so they don't have to deal with that.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.