What team do you feel has had the most collection of talent in the history of sports?

Posted (edited)

‘64 Bills. Day, Dunaway, McDole, Sestak. Jacobs. Stratton, Tracy, Byrd, Edgerson, Saimes, BeMiller, Shaw, Barber, Gilchrest/Joe, Warlick, Dubenion, Bass, Kemp/Lamonica, Maguire & Gogolak. Back to Back League Champions.

Top it if you can. They didn’t allow a 100 yard rusher for nearly 2 years.

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

While I'm not a huge NBA fan many championship teams have been loaded and considering the small size of a NBA roster, the ratio of superstars to the entire roster (12 or 13) is staggering.  Same goes for NHL teams, where a roster is in the low 20's and a team like the 70s Canadiens had a staggering 9 Hall of Famers.  It's more difficult and almost impossible for a NFL team to have that same kind of superstar-to-full roster ratio or Hall of Famer-to-full roster ratio, given the size of a roster.

• 80's Celtics:  Bird, McHale, Parrish, Ainge, Walton, Dennis Johnson
  • 80's Lakers:  Kareem, Magic, James Worthy
  • 90's Bulls - Jordan, Pippen, Rodman
  • 2010's Warriors - Curry, Thompson, Durant (a couple of years)
  • 70's Canadiens - 9 Hockey Hall of Fame Members:  Yvan Cournoyer, Ken Dryden, Bob Gainey, Guy Lafleur, Guy Lapointe, Jacques Lemaire, Larry Robinson, Serge Savard, Steve Shutt
  • 80's Islanders - 5 Hockey Hall of Fame Members:  Mike Bossy, Clark Gillies, Denis Potvin, Billy Smith, Bryan Trottier
  • 80's Edmonton Oilers - 7 Hall of Fame Members: Glenn Anderson, Paul Coffey, Grant Fuhr, Wayne Gretzky, Jari Kurri, Kevin Lowe, Mark Messier
  • 70's Steelers - 9 Hall of Famers:  Joe Greene, Terry Bradshaw, Mel Blount, Jack Ham, Franco Harris, Lynn Swann, Jack Lambert, John Stallworth and Mike Webster.

I love our 1990's Bills and had they won a couple of SB's it might be better, but they only had 4 HOF'ers (Kelly, Thomas, Reed, Smith).

23 minutes ago, Savage said:

Not one of you could come up with the Montreal Canadien teams of the 70’s???

I did and had started typing it along with the rest of my post, but had to take a break for a conference call before resuming.  You know, the work thing.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

From a more modern perspective of teams I've actually watched.

They didn't even win a super bowl but that 2007 patriots team was ridiculous.  Buffalo lost 94-17 across two games.  Lot of older players but they had the goods across the board.  

And the cameras in the right places.

The Kentucky Wildcats BB had an insane amount of talent on their teams from 2015 to 2020 or so.  It's amazing they didn't win more championships.  Devin Booker, Karl Anthony Towns, Malik Monk, Bam Adebayo, De'Aaron Fox, Shai Gilgeous Alexander, Tyler Herro, Tyrese Maxey, Jamal Murray, Immanuel Quickley, PJ Washington.  Julius Randal and Anthony Davis were just before this period.

1989 49ers: Great names like Joe Montana, Steve Young, Roger Craig, Jerry Rice, and Ronnie Lott.

The team had 8 all-pros that year.

Even though they lost, the 1987 Russian hockey team at the Canada Cup was probably the only time I've seen one team look like they are playing a different sport than their opponent. They were incredible. I've never seen the game played at such a highly skilled level before or since.

As stacked as Canada was, they really needed that favourable officiating and general thuggery or they would have gotten smoked.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PonyBoy said:

Oilers for sure. Islanders were good mention as well from the 80's, late 70's Candiens too.

You didn't say Pro, so I would think UConn women's basketball under Geno is an top choice.

Nebraska football had quite a run, the Miami Hurricanes way up there too with a bunch of future NFL pros and HOF'ers.

Yup, Geno put together some damn good teams, Hell, UConn men and women winning national championships in the same season twice, says a lot about UConn basketball as a whole, especially with the men winning back to aback natties the last two years. 

UCLA Bruins men's basketball under John Wooten with Lew Alcindor (Kareem Jabbar), and Bill Walton as starting centers.

During Wooden's 27 seasons at UCLA his record was an amazing 316-68. Under Coach Wooden, the Bruins posted record after record. The team won 10 NCAA Championships, including seven in a row between 1966 and 1973. During this streak of seven straight championships, the Bruins won 38 straight NCAA Tournament games.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

2001 Colorado Avalanche should get a shout out, but there are a lot of better examples that have been mentioned already. There have been some ridiculous NBA teams assembled in recent years, but I can't even keep track of them all. 

1987 team Canada.

Gretzky

Lemieux

Bourque

Murphy

Messier

Howerchuck

Coffee

Tocchet

Goulet

Gartner

Sutter

Gilmour

The team had 12 HOFers lol.. absolutely ridiculous, the greatest team every assembled in any team sport IMHO.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Those early baseball teams kinda have a decently big asterisk, since the best collection of talent is based on relative to their competition and a huge part of the competition was prevented from playing in the league. 

Posted (edited)

IMHO its an easy answer for me...the New Zealand All Blacks (Rugby)

1. The New Zealand All Blacks are the winningest sports team in history of any sport in the world
  2. Over 112 years they have a 77% win percentage which is not only the best all time of any sport, but pretty insane.
    1. Past 4 years their win % is 95%
  3. They also dominate women's Rugby too.

They are the most dominant sports team in world history and have a plethora of the greatest to ever play the game in their history.  No team has dominated a world sport to the degree that they have.  

Fun fact:  Rugby despite being one of the bigger sports in the world, is currently the 2nd fastest growing sport for both men and women.  

PS:  If anyone is interested, Amazon Prime does a series called "All or Nothing" which is very similar to HBO's Hard Knocks style of show, but they have done all kinds of sports and not just football.  And the one on the New Zealand All Blacks is quite a good watch, even if you aren't that familiar with Rugby.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.