What team do you feel has had the most collection of talent in the history of sports?

On 6/9/2024 at 1:07 PM, frostbitmic said:

The dream team - 1992 USA Men's Olympic basketball team

Michael Jorgan

Scottie Pippen

Magic Johnson

Larry Bird

John Stockton

Karl Malone

Patrick Ewing

David Robinson

Isiah Thomas

Charles Barkley

Chris Mullin

Christian Laettner

and it should have had Shaq instead of Laettner...  and they played well as a group, not just as individuals.

• Agree 1

On 6/6/2024 at 4:48 PM, Savage said:

Not one of you could come up with the Montreal Canadien teams of the 70’s???

The Canadiens of the late 50’s. Beliveau, Dickie Moore, Geoffrion, Richard, Harvey, Jacques Plante. That team changed the game and even made for rule changes.

On 6/8/2024 at 11:06 AM, GunnerBill said:

Iniesta and Xavi = 8 Champions Leagues combined

Kroos and Modric = 12 Champions Leagues combined

Narrative is a B word.

Narrative? Facts. Busquets/Iniesta/Xavi are all legends - which is what I said. Xavi and Iniesta alone are top 5-7 midfielders all time. Kroos isn’t even in the same convo. Throw in Busquets and you’d be hard-pressed to find me a midfield that had 3 better starters. 

The topic was collection of talent - not titles. 

Madrid will continue winning titles in the 92nd or 97th minute long after I’ve departed this planet, regardless of Kroos and Modric. Some things are what they are. 

cheers! 

• Agree 1

On 6/8/2024 at 1:56 PM, Paup 1995MVP said:

Oakland A’s 1972-1974 won 3 straight World Series   And were a wild and crazy bunch of guys.  So fun to watch.  

1949-1953 Yankees won 5 straight titles, Yogi, Whitey, Mickey, Scooter, Joe Dimaggio, Ralph Houk, Allie Reynolds, Hank Bauer, Billy Martin.  487-280 [.637 win %] over 5 seasons.

On 6/7/2024 at 1:52 AM, QB Bills said:

Even though they lost, the 1987 Russian hockey team at the Canada Cup was probably the only time I've seen one team look like they are playing a different sport than their opponent. They were incredible. I've never seen the game played at such a highly skilled level before or since.

As stacked as Canada was, they really needed that favourable officiating and general thuggery or they would have gotten smoked.

That 1987 series USSR-Canada 6:5,5:6,5:6 is the best hockey ever. Soviet legends in their prime against NHL legends in their prime. On ice at the same time Gretzky-Lemieux-Messier, Coffey-Bourque against Makarov-Larionov-Krutov, Fetisov-Kasatonov. 

Watch these full games on Yutube. You will never see such hockey again. 

I checked: that Canada team had 12 future HOFers

Edited by Artem Lipatov

In years 1964-1992 USSR hockey team won 7of 8 Olympics (except wonder on ice in 1980)  and 20 of 25 World Champions, including 9 years in a row.

"Red machine" had several generations of huge talents. If they played in NHL a lot of them would be HOFers. 

CSKA Moscow  was so stacked with stars in late 80s that 4th(!) line was youngsters  Mogilny-Fedorov-Bure

• Like (+1) 1

2002 Brazil won World cup:

4 golden ball winners (best player of the world in different years):

Ronaldo

Ronaldinho

Rivaldo

Kaka 

+ best defender ever

Roberto Carlos

+ notable  Dida, Cafu, Lucio , Denilson etc.

9 hours ago, bobobonators said:

Narrative? Facts. Busquets/Iniesta/Xavi are all legends - which is what I said. Xavi and Iniesta alone are top 5-7 midfielders all time. Kroos isn’t even in the same convo. Throw in Busquets and you’d be hard-pressed to find me a midfield that had 3 better starters. 

The topic was collection of talent - not titles. 

Madrid will continue winning titles in the 92nd or 97th minute long after I’ve departed this planet, regardless of Kroos and Modric. Some things are what they are. 

cheers! 

I disagree. I think that Barca side while exceptional sometimes gets overhyped and that Madrid side gets underappreciated. They have won 6 of the last 11 Champions Leagues. I agree that overall that Barca side had more talent than the Madrid sides that have won 6 Champions Leagues, but I think the midfields are a LOT closer than people like to accept. Modric and Kroos have been awesome for over a decade. 

18 hours ago, BearNorth said:

1949-1953 Yankees won 5 straight titles, Yogi, Whitey, Mickey, Scooter, Joe Dimaggio, Ralph Houk, Allie Reynolds, Hank Bauer, Billy Martin.  487-280 [.637 win %] over 5 seasons.

That's impressive Bear.  A little before my time.  I was in elementary school when the A's were dominant in the 70's.  

Here is a tidbit, my girlfriend's grandfather played in the major leagues for a decade from 1938 to 1947.  His name was Roy Cullenbine.  Played for a bunch of teams.  Had a real solid career too, when you look up his stats.  He may have had the most walks of any player in MLB history at the time he retired.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.