What team do you feel has had the most collection of talent in the history of sports?

Only one poster, besides me, recognizes the Habs teams of the 70's (especially the 76-77 team) that had 9 HOFers on it.

Again, like me, most of us never saw them play, but the numbers simply don't lie. Those teams were as dominate as any team in any sport, at any time, in sports history. 

On 6/6/2024 at 4:18 PM, fergie's ire said:

The Kentucky Wildcats BB had an insane amount of talent on their teams from 2015 to 2020 or so.  It's amazing they didn't win more championships.  Devin Booker, Karl Anthony Towns, Malik Monk, Bam Adebayo, De'Aaron Fox, Shai Gilgeous Alexander, Tyler Herro, Tyrese Maxey, Jamal Murray, Immanuel Quickley, PJ Washington.  Julius Randal and Anthony Davis were just before this period.

I think amazing that they even won one with that dbag bum head coach.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I love those 2001 Hurricanes...........I think they might be the most talented ever in NCAAF.    But the QB makes it subjective.   Dorsey was a very good college QB but he wasn't an NFL starting caliber talent.   That being the most important position makes it more debatable.

I'm certainly not comparing them to the 27,28 Yankees but the Alabama team with Mac Jones, Devonta Smith, Jaylen Waddle, John Metchie, and Najee Harris was pretty good. ;) 

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/7/2024 at 5:08 AM, Ethan in Cleveland said:

High would be one way to put it...

They had two young potential HOF players in Gooden and Strawberry that drank and snorted their greatness away.

Gary Carter is in the HoF-  keith Hernandez was a stud for a guy that didn’t have any pop

but I wouldn’t consider them in this conversation

On 6/6/2024 at 3:58 PM, Big Turk said:

There are a lot of great teams but for me, it would have to be the Edmonton Oilers in the mid 80s. Basically had their own All-Star team with 7 future HOF'ers in their prime and several other very very good ones like Esa Tikannen and Craig Simpson.

Gretzky, Messier, Coffey, Kurri, Anderson, Fuhr, Lowe, etc...

Just dominant. And they could beat you any way you wanted to play. You wanted to be physical? They had some bad MOFO's on that team like McSorely, McClelland, Smith, etc...you want to run and gun? Good luck. They were more than happy to win games 7-4 or 8-5.

I know some would say the Yankee teams with Maris and Mantle or even the ones with Ruth. Some might say the Steeler teams in the mid 70s. Some might say the Bulls of the 90s with Jordan or The Celtics or Lakers of the 80s...

But for me, I don't think any of them compared to the sheer collection of top end talent the Oilers had.

80's 49'ers.  

The 92 dream team-but they don’t really count imo-  

80’s oilers

70’s Steeler’s but Bradshaw brings them down some

89 niners.

27 and 98 yankees

16-17 warriors

i don’t care about euro sports so they’re excluded from my list.  

i don’t really consider college teams because the majority of the players don’t become great pros-  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

I'm certainly not comparing them to the 27,28 Yankees but the Alabama team with Mac Jones, Devonta Smith, Jaylen Waddle, John Metchie, and Najee Harris was pretty good. ;) 

They are definitely high up in the conversation.   Tua's best team too.   Guys like Mac and Harris bring it down because they've sucked as pro's but their reserves were actually more talented.

Speaking of reserves, I've said it before but Frank Gore was a freshman on that 2001 team and was the best RB prospect I'd ever seen or have yet to see.   He was like the 49ers version of Frank Gore crossed with Marshall Faulk in the open field.   He was a threat to go to the house on every carry.  9.1 yards per carry so 562 on just 62 carries.  The repeated knee injuries subsequently turned Gore into a relative plow horse and he's still going to be an NFL HOF'er.     

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/6/2024 at 4:58 PM, Big Turk said:

There are a lot of great teams but for me, it would have to be the Edmonton Oilers in the mid 80s. Basically had their own All-Star team with 7 future HOF'ers in their prime and several other very very good ones like Esa Tikannen and Craig Simpson.

Gretzky, Messier, Coffey, Kurri, Anderson, Fuhr, Lowe, etc...

Just dominant. And they could beat you any way you wanted to play. You wanted to be physical? They had some bad MOFO's on that team like McSorely, McClelland, Smith, etc...you want to run and gun? Good luck. They were more than happy to win games 7-4 or 8-5.

I know some would say the Yankee teams with Maris and Mantle or even the ones with Ruth. Some might say the Steeler teams in the mid 70s. Some might say the Bulls of the 90s with Jordan or The Celtics or Lakers of the 80s...

But for me, I don't think any of them compared to the sheer collection of top end talent the Oilers had.

Before clicking on it, my immediate thought was the Edmonton Oilers. I still haven’t scrolled through responses, but it’s pretty good bet the 70s Steelers and the 50’s Yankees would be considered 

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They are definitely high up in the conversation.   Tua's best team too.   Guys like Mac and Harris bring it down because they've sucked as pro's but their reserves were actually more talented.

Speaking of reserves, I've said it before but Frank Gore was a freshman on that 2001 team and was the best RB prospect I'd ever seen or have yet to see.   He was like the 49ers version of Frank Gore crossed with Marshall Faulk in the open field.   He was a threat to go to the house on every carry.  9.1 yards per carry so 562 on just 62 carries.  The repeated knee injuries subsequently turned Gore into a relative plow horse and he's still going to be an NFL HOF'er.     

No doubt.

12 hours ago, njbuff said:

Only one poster, besides me, recognizes the Habs teams of the 70's (especially the 76-77 team) that had 9 HOFers on it.

Again, like me, most of us never saw them play, but the numbers simply don't lie. Those teams were as dominate as any team in any sport, at any time, in sports history. 

Correct. I watched them in my 20s. The year you mentioned, they had a 60-8-12 Regular Season with 387 GF & 171 GA. The first time, a team had scored more than twice as many as they gave up! They won the Stanley Cup 4-0, 4-2, 4-0!

Their 1950s team was the NHL’s greatest. 5 consecutive years, featuring numerous HOFers from 1955- 1960.

I was just checking out the 2002 Detroit Red Wings roster and stats. They had nine hall of famers plus Pavel Datsyuk. But most of those guys were past their prime - I didin't realize that Shanahan was the leading scorer on the team with 75 points! 

The dream team - 1992 USA Men's Olympic basketball team

Michael Jorgan

Scottie Pippen

Magic Johnson

Larry Bird

John Stockton

Karl Malone

Patrick Ewing

David Robinson

Isiah Thomas

Charles Barkley

Chris Mullin

Christian Laettner

9 hours ago, skibum said:

I was just checking out the 2002 Detroit Red Wings roster and stats. They had nine hall of famers plus Pavel Datsyuk. But most of those guys were past their prime - I didin't realize that Shanahan was the leading scorer on the team with 75 points! 

While I agree that a lot of those guys were past their prime I wouldn't say any of them were washed up at that point.  Really only Luc Robitaille was at the end of his career out of those guys.  Just a completely stacked roster.  

On 6/8/2024 at 2:03 PM, Paup 1995MVP said:

The Oilers were amazing. Loved watching them.  Used to think I was Gretzky playing street hockey growing up.  Dreamed of playing for them.  

I still believe he is the best team athlete of all time.  His numbers were just ridiculous.  

I talk to people who follow hockey closely today and say that Gretzky went up against a lot of stiffs back in the day compared to the skill of players today.  That maybe true.  But the game was so much more physical and rough back in the 80’s and 90’s.  Lots of cross checking from behind into the boards.  Slashes to the hands.  Everyone looking to give a cheap shot when given the chance.  And tons of fighters on every team.  And Gretz still ran circles around and through opponents.  Watching the Oilers rush the puck was a thing of beauty. 

One of my favorite stats: if you take away all of Gretzky's goals he is still the all-time points leader in the NHL.

Chicago Bears, 36 total hall of famers. 

"What team do you feel has had the most collection of talent in the history of sports?"

I think OP needs to make this more specific. History as in most in one year history or ever? as in total?

I noticed in his input that, he mentions teams during an era.  Bills had 5 players a HC and a GM during an Era. That cant be ignored either. 

Edited by PrimeTime101

Count the number of people in the HOF from the 90-91 Bills team. Count the coaches, players, owner, etc and it is a crazy number of HOF members involved with that team. 

Edited by thronethinker

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.