What team do you feel has had the most collection of talent in the history of sports?

Posted (edited)
On 6/6/2024 at 4:58 PM, Big Turk said:

There are a lot of great teams but for me, it would have to be the Edmonton Oilers in the mid 80s. Basically had their own All-Star team with 7 future HOF'ers in their prime and several other very very good ones like Esa Tikannen and Craig Simpson.

Gretzky, Messier, Coffey, Kurri, Anderson, Fuhr, Lowe, etc...

Just dominant. And they could beat you any way you wanted to play. You wanted to be physical? They had some bad MOFO's on that team like McSorely, McClelland, Smith, etc...you want to run and gun? Good luck. They were more than happy to win games 7-4 or 8-5.

I know some would say the Yankee teams with Maris and Mantle or even the ones with Ruth. Some might say the Steeler teams in the mid 70s. Some might say the Bulls of the 90s with Jordan or The Celtics or Lakers of the 80s...

But for me, I don't think any of them compared to the sheer collection of top end talent the Oilers had.

The Montreal Canadians of the 1976-77 season IS the greatest collection of talent on a pro sports team.

9 future HOFers. 

Edited by njbuff

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, njbuff said:

The Montreal Canadians of the 1976-77 season IS the greatest collection of talent on a pro sports team.

9 future HOFers. 

That's fair...that team still holds numerous records that have never been equaled and only recently did Boston pass them for most points in a season but had the benefit of extra points for OT wins they did not.

Only lost 8 games the entire year.

Imagine watching games already knowing your team was going to win before it started 90% of the time. Crazy.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Imagine watching games already knowing your team was going to win before it started 90% of the time. Crazy.

I definitely experienced that with Arsenal's Invincibles in 2003/04. 49 league games undefeated and you just never expected them to lose a game. The other thing that team was great at was being 2 nil up inside 25 minutes. They took the drama out of so many games. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/6/2024 at 4:58 PM, Big Turk said:

There are a lot of great teams but for me, it would have to be the Edmonton Oilers in the mid 80s. Basically had their own All-Star team with 7 future HOF'ers in their prime and several other very very good ones like Esa Tikannen and Craig Simpson.

Just dominant. And they could beat you any way you wanted to play. You wanted to be physical? They had some bad MOFO's on that team like McSorely, McClelland, Smith, etc...you want to run and gun? Good luck. They were more than happy to win games 7-4 or 8-5.

I know some would say the Yankee teams with Maris and Mantle or even the ones with Ruth. Some might say the Steeler teams in the mid 70s. Some might say the Bulls of the 90s with Jordan or The Celtics or Lakers of the 80s...

But for me, I don't think any of them compared to the sheer collection of top end talent the Oilers had.

That Oilers team was amazing. I saw them live, beating the Hartford Whalers 11-0

I hated the 70’s Steelers but have to give them props:

Bradshaw

Franco Harris

Swann

Stallworth

Mean Joe Greene

Jack Ham

Mel Blount

Jack Lambert

Andy Russell

LC Greenwood

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/6/2024 at 3:58 PM, Big Turk said:

2010ish Futbol Club Barcelona 

Messi, Villa, Iniesta, Xavi, Busquets, Pique, Alves, Abidal. 

That midfield alone was made up of legends. 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I definitely experienced that with Arsenal's Invincibles in 2003/04. 49 league games undefeated and you just never expected them to lose a game. The other thing that team was great at was being 2 nil up inside 25 minutes. They took the drama out of so many games. 

Kinda reminds me of the Bills in 2020 when they were just decimating teams

On 6/6/2024 at 2:58 PM, Big Turk said:

Growing up in Edmonton during that time I can absolutely agree. We didn’t realize how lucky we were. Also remember that they managed to win another cup after Gretzky, Coffee were traded and Fuhr missed the season with an injury. 

4 hours ago, bobobonators said:

2010ish Futbol Club Barcelona 

Messi, Villa, Iniesta, Xavi, Busquets, Pique, Alves, Abidal. 

That midfield alone was made up of legends. 

Iniesta and Xavi = 8 Champions Leagues combined

Kroos and Modric = 12 Champions Leagues combined

Narrative is a B word.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/6/2024 at 5:14 PM, PonyBoy said:

Oilers for sure. Islanders were good mention as well from the 80's, late 70's Candiens too.

You didn't say Pro, so I would think UConn women's basketball under Geno is an top choice.

Nebraska football had quite a run, the Miami Hurricanes way up there too with a bunch of future NFL pros and HOF'ers.

Detroit Red Wings from around 1990-2015 were tremendous.  Made the playoffs 26 straight seasons.  

Pittsburgh Penguins early 90’s had as much offensive talent as any hockey team ever.  They just didn’t do it as long as the Islanders Habs or Red Wings.  

Oakland A’s 1972-1974 won 3 straight World Series   And were a wild and crazy bunch of guys.  So fun to watch.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, AlfaBill said:

Growing up in Edmonton during that time I can absolutely agree. We didn’t realize how lucky we were. Also remember that they managed to win another cup after Gretzky, Coffee were traded and Fuhr missed the season with an injury. 

The Oilers were amazing. Loved watching them.  Used to think I was Gretzky playing street hockey growing up.  Dreamed of playing for them.  

I still believe he is the best team athlete of all time.  His numbers were just ridiculous.  

I talk to people who follow hockey closely today and say that Gretzky went up against a lot of stiffs back in the day compared to the skill of players today.  That maybe true.  But the game was so much more physical and rough back in the 80’s and 90’s.  Lots of cross checking from behind into the boards.  Slashes to the hands.  Everyone looking to give a cheap shot when given the chance.  And tons of fighters on every team.  And Gretz still ran circles around and through opponents.  Watching the Oilers rush the puck was a thing of beauty. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, AlfaBill said:

I actually would watch Oiler games just to see how many points Gretzky & goals Edmonton would get, not so much if they win, which was a lot!

I watch McDavid now for same reason. Only 2 I've ever done that for. 

When I get too excited doing that I tune in to a Sabres game to tone it down 😀

On 6/6/2024 at 5:07 PM, Charles Romes said:

Fuhr?  Really?   Isn’t the answer always the ‘27 Yankees 

Yeah 27' and 28' Yankees swept both world series.  Only MLB team to do that back-to-back.  The 27' team set the MLB record for scoring differential and the lineup put up video game numbers offensively and pitching staff lead the league in ERA.   They are the standard in north american pro sports.    6 HOF players plus the coach and GM.    The Big Red Machine is often bought up as a comp but there really isn't a comp to that dominance.  

Closest in NFL?  I'd probably say the 1989 49ers that waxed that Broncos team or the 1976 Steelers that got decimated by injuries in the playoffs(that team should have been the high point of their dynasty).

I love those 2001 Hurricanes...........I think they might be the most talented ever in NCAAF.    But the QB makes it subjective.   Dorsey was a very good college QB but he wasn't an NFL starting caliber talent.   That being the most important position makes it more debatable.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.