What team do you feel has had the most collection of talent in the history of sports?

Posted (edited)

There are a lot of great teams but for me, it would have to be the Edmonton Oilers in the mid 80s. Basically had their own All-Star team with 7 future HOF'ers in their prime and several other very very good ones like Esa Tikannen and Craig Simpson.

Gretzky, Messier, Coffey, Kurri, Anderson, Fuhr, Lowe, etc...

Just dominant. And they could beat you any way you wanted to play. You wanted to be physical? They had some bad MOFO's on that team like McSorely, McClelland, Smith, etc...you want to run and gun? Good luck. They were more than happy to win games 7-4 or 8-5.

I know some would say the Yankee teams with Maris and Mantle or even the ones with Ruth. Some might say the Steeler teams in the mid 70s. Some might say the Bulls of the 90s with Jordan or The Celtics or Lakers of the 80s...

But for me, I don't think any of them compared to the sheer collection of top end talent the Oilers had.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 4

5 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

There are a lot of great teams but for me, it would have to be the Edmonton Oilers in the mid 80s. Basically had their own All-Star team with 7 future HOF'ers in their prime and several other very very good ones like Esa Tikannen and Craig Simpson.

Gretzky, Messier, Coffey, Kurri, Anderson, Fuhr, Lowe, etc...

Just dominant. And they could beat you any way you wanted to play. You wanted to be physical? They had some bad MOFO's on that team like McSorely, McClelland, Smith, etc...you want to run and gun? Good luck. They were more than happy to win games 7-4 or 8-5.

I know some would say the Yankee teams with Maris and Mantle or even the ones with Ruth. Some might say the Steeler teams in the mid 70s. Some might say the Bulls of the 90s with Jordan or The Celtics or Lakers of the 80s...

But for me, I don't think any of them compared to the sheer collection of top end talent the Oilers had.

I'd probably come to the same conclusion but those Islanders teams that preceded them might be a close second.

I'd also consider that Cincinnati Reds team of the mid-70's to be worth a mention.

The 80's Lakers were a good mention too.

The Cowboys in the 90s and 49ers in the 80's were an embarrassment of riches also.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

2016 - 2018 Warriors

1962 Celtics (had 9 HOFers out of 13 players)

1985 Celtics

2000 Lakers

2003 Lakers (didn't win, but had a ton of talented players)

1992 Cowboys

1994 49ers

2007 Patriots (also didn't win)

1999 Rams

And of course, the 1990's Bills 😁

I don't know much about MLB or NHL, so I just kept it to NBA & NFL.

• Like (+1) 3

Oilers for sure. Islanders were good mention as well from the 80's, late 70's Candiens too.

You didn't say Pro, so I would think UConn women's basketball under Geno is an top choice.

Nebraska football had quite a run, the Miami Hurricanes way up there too with a bunch of future NFL pros and HOF'ers.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.