What I'm excited about on defense

5 hours ago, Einstein said:

If we look at the top DE's in the NFL, they did NOT need 3-4 years down the line to shine. They were amazing nearly immediately.

Micah Parsons was a monster his rookie season.

Nick Bosa had more sacks/forced fumbles in his rookie season than Groot and AJ have ever had.
Myles Garrett was putting up 25 combined sacks/TFL's by his 2nd year.
TJ Watt was putting up 25 combined sacks/TFL's by his 2nd year.
Maxx Crosby had 26 combines sacks/TFL's in his rookie season.

etc

The only top DE I can think of that fits in with your hope is Haason Redick. It came together for him in his 4th season. 

Of course, if you just mean that they will continue to be average to above average DE's, then I agree ... but I also think they are already there.

I don't think anyone we have will be a top pass rusher in the NFL this season.  But i also look at that list and see dollar signs and 0 super bowls.  I wa

Shaq barrett had 19 sacks in 2019, followed by 8 and then 10 - after never having more than 6 in his first 4 years. 

Harold Landry didn't crack double digit sacks until year 4 in the league.  

Zadarius Smith didn't hit double digits until year 5 after leaving baltimore for GB.  

I guess what i'm saying is... i don't expect anyone on our roster to take the jump to being some kind of feared player.  But the possibility of adding a few additional pressures, and several pressures turning into sacks, isn't unheard of to see a jump from like 6 to 12 sacks. 

15 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Gregg Rousseau and AJ epenesa....

When we took defensive ends high... With  Gregg ,AJ and boogie 

The goal was to always have the cream rise... They develop them slowly... Especially AJ... Who had a complete body transformation 

They limit their snaps and location to keep them fresh.. along with the rest of the defensive line 

But when you make pics like this... Sure you want quick impact... But generally there for 3 or 4 years down the line... When they are seasoned veterans in NFL strength and conditioning programs 

Now... We have two massive starting ends... Tall and long... Great disruptors in the run game... Gets their hands in the passing Lanes on quick throws 

AJ has honestly.. one of the best first steps and get offs in the NFL... He routinely wins off the snap 

Gregg is 6'7 270 pounds... Came into the NFL extremely raw... The sky is the limit we just haven't seen it fully... He's a beast in the run and will start manhandling tackles 

AJ it's probably the best hands up swatter in the NFL... You can't throw a swing pass or screen to his side... He is so long and athletic.. he's going to get another interception or two this season

This is why you draft defensive ends high... Multiple.. and let them develop 

I'm going to call it now they're going to wreak havoc all year..  and we are going to have two of the biggest most tenacious D ends in the NFL 

We've been waiting for this... They are going to feed off each other and disrupt quarterbacks and running backs all year

Ron McDole, Bruce Smith & Phil Hanson were great from the git-go. Everyone else is mediocre to ok.

11 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Ron McDole, Bruce Smith & Phil Hanson were great from the git-go. Everyone else is mediocre to ok.

Bruce was considered a once in a lifetime type of player lol

Greg was playing WR and safety in HS... Broke his ankle and RS as a freshman at Miami 

Then had 15.5 sacks a Miami record... Sat out the next season 

Then we drafted him... He's an extremely raw defensive end

• Eyeroll 1

Posted (edited)

When fans hold up the D and the fence sign. That gets me going. And you know it fires up the players, too.

Hey, gize, they're holding up the the D and the fence! We better get movin', ya dig? 

71vI866BCCL._AC_UF350,350_QL80_.jpg

Edited by Fr. Jerk

13 hours ago, FireChans said:

Reddick played inside linebacker for his first couple seasons FWIW. The Cards didn't even play him as a pass rusher until his last season there.

And he isn't a top DE either. He is a good pass rusher. His all around game isn't close to the level of the top guys. I suppose there is a parallel to be drawn there to AJE...  but I am not expecting him to now suddenly start putting up double digit sack numbers.

33 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And he isn't a top DE either. He is a good pass rusher. His all around game isn't close to the level of the top guys. I suppose there is a parallel to be drawn there to AJE...  but I am not expecting him to now suddenly start putting up double digit sack numbers.

Guys like Reddick and Parsons and TJ watt who people have mentioned in this thread 

Are also primarily outside linebackers... Who line up in different techniques when they rush the passer...

They generally line up closer to a 9 technique... Really wide and angled ..or a 7

Our ends rush at the 5 technique mainly

Guys like Trey Hendrickson did take a while to become sack artists

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Guys like Reddick and Parsons and TJ watt who people have mentioned in this thread 

Are also primarily outside linebackers... Who line up in different techniques when they rush the passer...

They generally line up closer to a 9 technique... Really wide and angled ..or a 7

Our ends rush at the 5 technique mainly

Guys like Trey Hendrickson did take a while to become sack artists

Yep. Very true. It is part of AJE's issue to me though that I think he is actually at his best in wider alignments where he can use the get off and speed. I think he will struggle to fully establish himself as a starter because I am not sure in the Bills "base" front if I can use that term I think he has a tendency to get swallowed up and / or lose his lane discipline which we know McDermott hates more than anything. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep. Very true. It is part of AJE's issue to me though that I think he is actually at his best in wider alignments where he can use the get off and speed. I think he will struggle to fully establish himself as a starter because I am not sure in the Bills "base" front if I can use that term I think he has a tendency to get swallowed up and / or lose his lane discipline which we know McDermott hates more than anything. 

That is true that AJ rushes better off of a wide technique using his quickness 

He certainly needs to improve his Rush from the five technique.. and his discipline

IMHO,  Washington was not a good DL coach for the bills.  He couldn't get the best out of his group in key moments of critical games.  May be the changing of DL coach will help these players.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.