What I'm excited about on defense

9 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

But when you make pics like this... Sure you want quick impact... But generally there for 3 or 4 years down the line... When they are seasoned veterans in NFL strength and conditioning programs 

If we look at the top DE's in the NFL, they did NOT need 3-4 years down the line to shine. They were amazing nearly immediately.

Micah Parsons was a monster his rookie season.

Nick Bosa had more sacks/forced fumbles in his rookie season than Groot and AJ have ever had.
Myles Garrett was putting up 25 combined sacks/TFL's by his 2nd year.
TJ Watt was putting up 25 combined sacks/TFL's by his 2nd year.
Maxx Crosby had 26 combines sacks/TFL's in his rookie season.

etc

The only top DE I can think of that fits in with your hope is Haason Redick. It came together for him in his 4th season. 

Of course, if you just mean that they will continue to be average to above average DE's, then I agree ... but I also think they are already there.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

If we look at the top DE's in the NFL, they did NOT need 3-4 years down the line to shine. They were amazing nearly immediately.

Nick Bosa had more sacks/forced fumbles in his rookie season than Groot and AJ have ever had.

etc

The only top DE I can think of that fits in with your hope is Haason Redick. It came together for him in his 4th season. 

Of course, if you just mean that they will continue to be average to above average DE's, then I agree ... but I also think they are already there.

Reddick played inside linebacker for his first couple seasons FWIW. The Cards didn't even play him as a pass rusher until his last season there.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

AJ has honestly.. one of the best first steps and get offs in the NFL... He routinely wins off the snap

Any time you can use an early draft pick on a pass rusher with a quick first step, that's an excellent use of the draft pick! 👍

8 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Gregg Rousseau and AJ epenesa....

When we took defensive ends high... With  Gregg ,AJ and boogie 

The goal was to always have the cream rise... They develop them slowly... Especially AJ... Who had a complete body transformation 

They limit their snaps and location to keep them fresh.. along with the rest of the defensive line 

But when you make pics like this... Sure you want quick impact... But generally there for 3 or 4 years down the line... When they are seasoned veterans in NFL strength and conditioning programs 

Now... We have two massive starting ends... Tall and long... Great disruptors in the run game... Gets their hands in the passing Lanes on quick throws 

AJ has honestly.. one of the best first steps and get offs in the NFL... He routinely wins off the snap 

Gregg is 6'7 270 pounds... Came into the NFL extremely raw... The sky is the limit we just haven't seen it fully... He's a beast in the run and will start manhandling tackles 

AJ it's probably the best hands up swatter in the NFL... You can't throw a swing pass or screen to his side... He is so long and athletic.. he's going to get another interception or two this season

This is why you draft defensive ends high... Multiple.. and let them develop 

I'm going to call it now they're going to wreak havoc all year..  and we are going to have two of the biggest most tenacious D ends in the NFL 

We've been waiting for this... They are going to feed off each other and disrupt quarterbacks and running backs all year

For me, it’s Bobby Babich.  If you look at his track record he’s always had success with whatever position group he’s been in charge of.   You can tell he’s a smart and thoughtful coach from his interviews and it seems like players really enjoy playing for him.  

I’m guessing he’ll call plays with McDermott gradually giving him more autonomy.  I don’t expect this transition to be perfect as a first time play caller but I think there’s a lot of promising evidence in his background.  I also think the fact that Daboll went after him (along with Miami and a few others) speaks to his potential as well.  

He’s also younger, more charismatic and articulate than McDermott is.  So I’m thinking this will make him more relatable to players.  Looking forward to what he does at DC

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Logic said:

I don't know much about Xs and Os.

I'm just excited to drink a quart of moonshine, play dizzy bat, and sacrifice myself to the pit.

No illicit substances?

Slacker......

• Haha (+1) 1

I sure hope they are effective and get close to double digit sacks.  But as was posted previously, most of the time you either have it or you don't.  As someone who saw all of Bruce Smith's career, he was a difference maker from day 1.  No one has ever said "oh crap, we have to face Epenesa (or Rousseau) this week".  We need at least one of those type guys on the DL.  Our most productive pass rusher last year was Floyd and he is long gone.  Maybe Solomon's college production will translate to the pros.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Einstein said:

etc

You can't compare every coaches scheme and think x + y = z 

I'm pretty sure if you read what I wrote I said you do want immediate impact...

BUT

The bills literally reshaped AJs body ... That basically was a red shirt of a year... And Gregg came in after not even playing college football for a whole season 

Then they went into the heaviest d line rotation in the NFL.. where they were brought along slowly

Gregg has had the most playing time to improve and his has... He's extremely raw..  only played one year of college football while missing a season 

With all of that.. including the rotation.. somebody like that is poised to break out a little later

He also has been playing good.. it's not like he's invisible.. tremendous against the run 

Ed Oliver... Is also really good... And it took a few years to fully come together also 

Micah and TJ are also outside linebackers primarily playing different techniques... Miles Garrett was considered one of the best D ends to come out in a decade and the bosa brothers were considered Blue Chip 

6 minutes ago, notpolian said:

I sure hope they are effective and get close to double digit sacks.  But as was posted previously, most of the time you either have it or you don't.  As someone who saw all of Bruce Smith's career, he was a difference maker from day 1.  No one has ever said "oh crap, we have to face Epenesa (or Rousseau) this week".  We need at least one of those type guys on the DL.  Our most productive pass rusher last year was Floyd and he is long gone.  Maybe Solomon's college production will translate to the pros.

Comparing Bruce Smith to anybody LOL 

He was the number one overall pick and considered once in a generation... Same with Miles Garrett... The bosa brothers were considered Blue Chip

The way we use our heavy D line rotation..  changing aj's body... And Gregg being extremely raw... Are all reasons that they did not come out of the gate day one and dominate 

That doesn't mean they can't be really good football players

Edited by Buffalo716

31 minutes ago, notpolian said:

A lot of the teams sack numbers got goosed up by the 9 sacks against Washington.  Buffalo was 4th in the league in sacks, and top 10 in pressures and pressure %.  

Floyd had 6 of his 10.5 sacks across three games - @NYJ, WSH, NYJ.  Obviously the one was rodgers ankle exploding, the others were wilson and howell.  He was probably the most consistent pressure player at times, but he was also likely playing a higher concentration of 3rd downs and pass rush specific packages as he was a borderline liability in run support.  He had 6 total pressures and 1 sack across the last 7 games including the 2 playoff games.  This is basically shaq lawson's pressure production, playing on 3rd downs only.  

Outside of floyd - the departing players and pass rushers are Lawson, Phillips, Settle, Ford, Joseph.  I don't see how anyone we have brought in isn't at least a capable replacement (if not an outright upgrade in several cases).  It all comes down to whether Miller and Solomon can generate some juice on passing downs.  Miller honestly looked more dangerous come playoff time than floyd.  

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

You can't compare every coaches scheme and think x + y = z 

I'm pretty sure if you read what I wrote I said you do want immediate impact...

BUT

The bills literally reshaped AJs body ... That basically was a red shirt of a year... And Gregg came in after not even playing college football for a whole season 

Then they went into the heaviest d line rotation in the NFL.. where they were brought along slowly

Gregg has had the most playing time to improve and his has... He's extremely raw..  only played one year of college football while missing a season 

None of that changes the fact that if they do suddenly become studly, it be a very significant outlier situation. In other words, very unlikely.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Einstein said:

None of that changes the fact that if they do suddenly become studly, it be a very significant outlier situation. In other words, very unlikely.

I never said they're going to become all pros 

Together I think they can be a very very effective Duo...

Gregg is 24 and absolutely rising... He is a physical freak and still getting better at football

AJ might not be the best pass rusher in the world but he's obviously a gifted football player with a high IQ

Edited by Buffalo716

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.