What I'm excited about on defense

Gregg Rousseau and AJ epenesa....

When we took defensive ends high... With  Gregg ,AJ and boogie 

The goal was to always have the cream rise... They develop them slowly... Especially AJ... Who had a complete body transformation 

They limit their snaps and location to keep them fresh.. along with the rest of the defensive line 

But when you make pics like this... Sure you want quick impact... But generally there for 3 or 4 years down the line... When they are seasoned veterans in NFL strength and conditioning programs 

Now... We have two massive starting ends... Tall and long... Great disruptors in the run game... Gets their hands in the passing Lanes on quick throws 

AJ has honestly.. one of the best first steps and get offs in the NFL... He routinely wins off the snap 

Gregg is 6'7 270 pounds... Came into the NFL extremely raw... The sky is the limit we just haven't seen it fully... He's a beast in the run and will start manhandling tackles 

AJ it's probably the best hands up swatter in the NFL... You can't throw a swing pass or screen to his side... He is so long and athletic.. he's going to get another interception or two this season

This is why you draft defensive ends high... Multiple.. and let them develop 

I'm going to call it now they're going to wreak havoc all year..  and we are going to have two of the biggest most tenacious D ends in the NFL 

We've been waiting for this... They are going to feed off each other and disrupt quarterbacks and running backs all year

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I hope you are right. 

Regardless if I'm right or wrong 

The bills need it... And I do consider them both rising players... Both 25 and younger with NFL experience ...AJ will be 26 in sept.. but that is still prime with experience 

While there are 23-year-olds coming out right now... I really like having these young long guys with experience... Opposed to a 23-year-old rookies who has to learn 

I think there's a good chance of a breakout

Edited by Buffalo716

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

The goal was to always have the cream rise... They develop them slowly... Especially AJ... Who had a complete body transformation 

They limit their snaps and location to keep them fresh.. along with the rest of the defensive line 

But when you make pics like this... Sure you want quick impact... But generally there for 3 or 4 years down the line... When they are seasoned veterans in NFL strength and conditioning programs 

Now... We have two massive starting ends... Tall and long... Great disruptors in the run game... Gets their hands in the passing Lanes on quick throws 

AJ has honestly.. one of the best first steps and get offs in the NFL... He routinely wins off the snap 

Gregg is 6'7 270 pounds... Came into the NFL extremely raw... The sky is the limit we just haven't seen it fully... He's a beast in the run and will start manhandling tackles 

AJ it's probably the best hands up swatter in the NFL... You can't throw a swing pass or screen to his side... He is so long and athletic.. he's going to get another interception or two this season

I'm going to call it now they're going to wreak havoc all year..  and we are going to have two of the biggest most tenacious D ends in the NFL 

We've been waiting for this... They are going to feed off each other and disrupt quarterbacks and running backs all year

I think they both could be impactful but I need to see 8 to 10 sacks and several RB tackles for losses before I anoint either guy as a successful early round pick. Rousseau bats down some throws AJ has some nice pressures but neither makes enough game changing plays so far. I like your optimism but Oliver and a healthy Jones are our dominant lineman so far. We need sacks or strips in big spots from edge rushers.

• Like (+1) 3

I think they’ll be pretty good all season then in the playoffs, McDermott will have them playing conservatively and we’ll all be disappointed. Then McDermott will draft another rd 1 DE in the draft. Rinse repeat 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Dislike 1

11 minutes ago, mrags said:

I think they’ll be pretty good all season then in the playoffs, McDermott will have them playing conservatively and we’ll all be disappointed. Then McDermott will draft another rd 1 DE in the draft. Rinse repeat 

Yea, that's not what happens. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

The bills need it... And I do consider them both rising players... Both 25 and younger with NFL experience ...AJ will be 26 in sept.. but that is still prime with experience 

While there are 23-year-olds coming out right now... I really like having these young long guys with experience... Opposed to a 23-year-old rookies who has to learn 

The Bills definitely need it, no doubt. 

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yes, we do need it.

imo, the pass rush will make or break our season.  

Will AJ and Rousseau take another step?

Will Von be an impactful pass rusher or what we saw last season?

Will Ed continue to improve and will Carter provide help on the interior?  

Will Bobby Babich be able to manufacture pressure on key plays?

Can Javon Solomon become a part of this DE rotation and be a Diamond in the rough

a la Christian Benford?

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, mrags said:

McDermott doesn't control the draft. Beane does. We did take a WR with our first pick in Keon Coleman.

IMO Groot's biggest detriment the past couple of years has been his knack of picking up foot/ankle injuries that aren't bad enough to make him miss any real time...but aren't well enough to see him have any pass rush impact. He starts off well enough the first few weeks and then is hampered by something. His health is a major factor.

AJE has always been on the better end of the scale for his pass rushing abilities. He's gotten surprisingly good production on limited snaps. His biggest issue has always been that he is atrocious setting the edge against the run IMO. 

Both have the potential to really step up this year. I'd like both to take the next step for sure...but even if one can hit the next level that would be huge.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, mrags said:

I would love to hear the explanation of how the Bills DE’s are coached to “play conservatively.”

“Hey Greg, we’re playing the Chiefs and it’s third down. Don’t try too hard out there”

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I like them don't get me wrong vbut they've been non existent in the playoffs thus far. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, mrags said:

You’re really going out on a limb huh? 😆 

28 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

IMO Groot's biggest detriment the past couple of years has been his knack of picking up foot/ankle injuries that aren't bad enough to make him miss any real time...but aren't well enough to see him have any pass rush impact. He starts off well enough the first few weeks and then is hampered by something. His health is a major factor.

AJE has always been on the better end of the scale for his pass rushing abilities. He's gotten surprisingly good production on limited snaps. His biggest issue has always been that he is atrocious setting the edge against the run IMO. 

Both have the potential to really step up this year. I'd like both to take the next step for sure...but even if one can hit the next level that would be huge.

Agreed, especially the part about Epenesa's poor edge setting.

2 hours ago, Doc said:

I'm more excited to see what Solomon can do.

That is indeed exciting, and it would be a real treat to get some meaningful help at the position later in the draft, even if it’s just as a situational player to start. 

• Like (+1) 1

AJ can make some plays but he doesn't have the speed, strength, or pass rushing tools to consistently win against OTs.  I think he is who he is at this point.  And thats fine, hes a solid NFL depth DE, but I don't expect him to elevate his game by leaps and bounds.

Groot needs to stay healthy.  The last two years he looked good early before suffering foot and ankle injuries and basically disappearing the second half of the season.  Like last season, the early story in OTAs is that Groot "looks different".  He has the physical potential to be game changing DE.  We continue to hope that once he fills out that frame he will have the physicality to consistently win his matchups but there is more to the position.  

Can't find 2023 highlights, admittedly a small sample, but I notice few of his sacks are coming from beating his man off the edge.  Looks like hes done damage against interior OL on stunts/twists and his length is great for clean up sacks when the QB has moved off his spot.  This is consistent with my alcohol addled memory of watching Groot play to play.  Those sacks still count but in order to be a game changer he needs to consistently win 1:1 matchups against OTs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Excited is not the word for me. More curious to see how it works out. I don't have much faith in this group of DEs. I just don't think AJ will ever be more than an average starter.

Hopefully Greg, fully healthy and nearing a new contract, has his best year yet. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.