Post Your All-Star Bills Roster…of Backups?

Fred Jackson.

Bills never made him the feature or starter.  They kept drafting RBs like Lynch and Spiller.  Fred was treated like a meh secondary player during the prime of his career instead of the very good RB he was who should have been featured more.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

S/DB Don Wilson

Started 16 of 32 games on the dreadful 1984/ 1985 Bills teams.

Was also a good PR/KR and had a knack for making plays at DB.

Went to the CFL in 1986 and had a stellar 12 year career.

Inducted into the CFL HOF in 2021.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WilsDo20.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Wilson_(gridiron_football)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

Frank Reich

Kenneth Davis

Don Beebe

Monty Brown

John Hagy

Butch Rolle

Tony Cline

Al Edwards

Scott Radecic

Chris Poole

Mark Pike

Sammy Morris

Davis could have started for about a dozen teams in that era. A real luxury backup to Thurman Thomas.

Hagy was a nasty (in a good way) S. Laid lumber when given the chance. IIRC Bills had Leonard Smith who was slightly better in that role at that time, and Kelso who was a very good FS.

Butch Rolle was a mystery to me! Always the TE2 in goal line situations. From 1987-1990 he had 8 catches for 16 yards and all 8 catches were TDs!

Mark Pike/ Mike Lodish - backups and ST. I wonder still what would have happened if the Bills would have played 4-3 more often against smash mouth teams. Both would have probably had a lot more play time under the current regime.

Scott Radecic - great pull and one I was going to name. The Bills had an embarrassment of riches at LB in that era. Bentley/ Bailey and Radecic were all backups to some degree. Radecic was always making plays, but hard to bench Conlan/ Bently etc. Was a starter for KC for a few years before joining the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Two receivers and I'll move on:

Steve Tasker at WR?

Reed/ Thomas and Metzelaars were the 3 continuous receiving threats during that era. WR2 and WR3 were a rolling door. T Johnson/ Chris Burkett/ Lofton/ Beebe/ Brooks/ Early. All along Tasker was on the roster and almost never asked to play WR. Late in his career he was asked to play more WR and did pretty well. What would a young Tasker in the slot have looked like?

Trumaine Johnson:

1st team All American at Grambling.

Was a beast in the USFL for 2 seasons.

1983 - 81 REC/ 1327 yards (led USFL)/ 10 TD

1984 - 90 REC/ 1258 yards 13 TD

USFL All Star both seasons

'85-'86 Got a chance with the Chargers as a backup, didn't do much

'87-'88 Signed on with Bills. Started 10 of 28 games. Was coming on nicely in 1988 with 37 REC/ 514 yards/ 13.9 AVG after taking Chris Burkett's starting role.

Then he abruptly retired.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ray Stonada said:

For some reason some of my favorite Bills are backup running backs.

Kenny Davis of course.

Larry Kinnebrew. 

Darick Holmes.

I loved Holmes, I thought for sure he was going to succeed Thurman but before I knew it he got traded to Green Bay.

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Agree 2

Reich and Kenneth Davis are the top two for sure. 

A lot of guys were backups for several years, but then became starters for several more. Not a lot of guys have long careers as a backup - they either start some day or get replaced by someone management thinks is better. 

Not sure all are eligible:

• Pete Metzelaars was maybe 50/50 backup/starter. 
  • AVP is your backup backup QB. 
  • Don Beebe, legend. 
  • Marcellus Wiley was a backup during most of his time as a Bill, no?
  • Josh Reed
  • Roscoe Parrish
  • Mario Haggan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

Davis could have started for about a dozen teams in that era. A real luxury backup to Thurman Thomas.

Hagy was a nasty (in a good way) S. Laid lumber when given the chance. IIRC Bills had Leonard Smith who was slightly better in that role at that time, and Kelso who was a very good FS.

Butch Rolle was a mystery to me! Always the TE2 in goal line situations. From 1987-1990 he had 8 catches for 16 yards and all 8 catches were TDs!

Mark Pike/ Mike Lodish - backups and ST. I wonder still what would have happened if the Bills would have played 4-3 more often against smash mouth teams. Both would have probably had a lot more play time under the current regime.

Scott Radecic - great pull and one I was going to name. The Bills had an embarrassment of riches at LB in that era. Bentley/ Bailey and Radecic were all backups to some degree. Radecic was always making plays, but hard to bench Conlan/ Bently etc. Was a starter for KC for a few years before joining the Bills.

Thanks for the reminder on Mike Lodish.

Does Steve Tasker qualify?

• Like (+1) 2

Hard to really define a back-up any more with all the multiple sets

Robb Riddick

Kenneth Davis

Don Beebe

Jerry Butler after the knee injury

Wyatt Teller (too soon?)

Ryan Bates/Mongo - both were versatile C/G backups

Ed Jones/Art Still played opposite Bruce - not sure how often they started vs came in as backups

• Thank you (+1) 1

LorAx for sure gets an honorable mention as a "football player" rotational guy that somehow put up insane pass rushing stats for a bit.

Lee Smith had a couple hilarious catches where he leaked out and was uncovered, most notably I think in 2020 in his second stint here.

Pat DiMarco for being the most ridiculous overpaid FB.

Frank Summers and Corey McIntyre (I think in today's game, all full backs are backups.)

Marquies Gray aka Big Sammy who had an elite 41 yard catch and run and then was basically never heard from again.

And Chris Hogan for making this catch

• Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Fred Jackson.

Bills never made him the feature or starter.  They kept drafting RBs like Lynch and Spiller.  Fred was treated like a meh secondary player during the prime of his career instead of the very good RB he was who should have been featured more.  

He def was the feature back that year he snapped his leg week 9 

He was top 2 NFL in rushing and having an all pro year 

He also has 10,000 career all purpose yards 

He outlasted two first round picks that they tried to replace him with but couldn't succeed 

He definitely was the best player here for a stretch

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Agree 1

But most of his career he was a backup when he showed he should be the feature RB.  We shoudln't have drafted Lynch and we definitely shouldn't have drafted Spiller.  

He was splitting carries his entire time here, most the time as the 2nd RB.  The fact he "outlasted 2 first round picks" is a testament to how foolish it was to not make him the lead back and not waste 2 first round picks on a RB.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

But most of his career he was a backup when he showed he should be the feature RB.  We shoudln't have drafted Lynch and we definitely shouldn't have drafted Spiller.  

He was splitting carries his entire time here, most the time as the 2nd RB.  The fact he "outlasted 2 first round picks" is a testament to how foolish it was to not make him the lead back and not waste 2 first round picks on a RB.  

That's why the bills were not a good franchise in that point lol

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I'm going with Jabari Greer.

I spent 3-4 years bitching while he languished on the Bills bench despite clearly being the team's second most capable and instinctive corner, only to see the Bills let him walk when he became a FA.

He's currently ensconced in the Saints Hall of Fame.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.