Sunday Ticket lawsuit alleges price fixing by the NFL

5 hours ago, boyst said:

The NFL is not necessary for prosperity in this country. It has nothing to do with the ability or inclination to thrive or reach the American dream save for the opportunity to play football, coach football, or such a job that directly related to it. 

Gouging andnlaws preventing monopolies were created to keep 'ma Bell from having complete control over a function of our lives that we need. Not to stop us from hero worshipping some random sportsballman.

By the standard people seem the NFL than we can call HBO gouging.

It's amazing to me that so many people B word about this drinking a $10 latte frappe mocha chino spending $30 a pop across the board on their 6 streaming platforms while spending 99¢ a month to play candy crush on their $1,800 iPhone inside their house on a 2.5% interest rate they locked in 12 years ago with concern that housing is too expensive now compared to what their parents paid in the 80's.

This America is the dumbest version of itself ever. Can't wait until we get more electrolytes!

Imagine a city with 100 pizza places. If one raises its prices too much, or provides bad product or bad service, it will lose customers to its 99 competitors. Adam Smith's invisible hand serves to hold all 100 pizza places accountable.

Now imagine a large corporation buys up all 100 pizza places. Prices go up. Quality goes down. The invisible hand no longer holds the one pizza company accountable.

Pizza is not a necessity. There are plenty of other types of food people can eat instead. Does that mean the public is under some kind of moral obligation to permit this monopolistic behavior? Is the public only allowed to defend its own best interests when a monopolist seeks to control basic necessities?

On another matter, you have trivialized people's concerns about increases in housing costs. From this site: "Average rent prices have increased 8.85% per year since 1980, consistently outpacing wage inflation by a significant margin." If the middle class and working class are taking it on the chin with respect to housing costs, why do you have a problem with people pointing that out?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 2

1 hour ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

Imagine a city with 100 pizza places. If one raises its prices too much, or provides bad product or bad service, it will lose customers to its 99 competitors. Adam Smith's invisible hand serves to hold all 100 pizza places accountable.

Now imagine a large corporation buys up all 100 pizza places. Prices go up. Quality goes down. The invisible hand no longer holds the one pizza company accountable.

Pizza is not a necessity. There are plenty of other types of food people can eat instead. Does that mean the public is under some kind of moral obligation to permit this monopolistic behavior? Is the public only allowed to defend its own best interests when a monopolist seeks to control basic necessities?

On another matter, you have trivialized people's concerns about increases in housing costs. From this site: "Average rent prices have increased 8.85% per year since 1980, consistently outpacing wage inflation by a significant margin." If the middle class and working class are taking it on the chin with respect to housing costs, why do you have a problem with people pointing that out?

You're arguing economic theory equating pizza to the NFL? You don't even need pizza to live. You can choose other things. The NFL hardly is relevant to health, function, or reality.

14 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

See how your rationale goes over in the PSL thread! 🤣🤣

People love to complain.  North Korean citizens are also ticked off about the PSL's.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Even at $300 a year, the NFL is a relative bargain. I go out to Top Golf for an evening and it’s $300. The NFL gives me hours of content a week for 27-ish weeks. 

And you can watch every game if you want to. Although if you don't mind waiting until a game is over, you can just get NFL+ for $99.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

is "pizza" all sports?  just football?  just pro football?  just NFL branded pro football?

One large corporation does not own football teams.  They are actually called "franchises"--like, say a national pizza chain has franchisees.  

Is there a local pizza brand affiliate that has an agreement with the national company where the local affiliate has to provide free pizza every Sunday/sometimes Monday night and Thursday too?  Do they also force free local pizza eaters to buy their special menu pizza package to get even MORE pizza?

no.   they do not.  this is a failure of comparison on every level.

Does anyone know if there are more or fewer subscriptions since YouTube took it over from DirecTV? My assumption is that when the price went up, the number of subscribers went down. I know that I didn’t renew mine. 

Edited by SoCal Deek

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Does anyone know if there are more or fewer subscriptions since YouTube took it over from DirecTV? My assumption is that when the price went up, the number of subscribers went down. I know that I didn’t renew mine. 

I pay $289 including red zone which is cheaper than directv was...even though usually got it free most years

On 8/2/2024 at 3:52 PM, Doc Brown said:

Glad the salary cap will continue to go up with this stupid lawsuit tossed out.  Nobody forced you to pay that price.  LOL.

It was a stupid lawsuit and it was a crazy verdict!

12 hours ago, nucci said:

I pay $289 including red zone which is cheaper than directv was...even though usually got it free most years

How are you getting that price? I just saw my renewal and its $389

13 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Not sure about that.  Many did not want a dish…probably more available to more people now.  

On 8/2/2024 at 3:18 PM, boyst said:

You're arguing economic theory equating pizza to the NFL? You don't even need pizza to live. You can choose other things. The NFL hardly is relevant to health, function, or reality.

I need pizza to live 

• Haha (+1) 1