Sunday Ticket lawsuit alleges price fixing by the NFL

12 minutes ago, major said:

https://apnews.com/article/nfl-sunday-ticket-trial-b17edfd575619d028c7e1581c8700a62

Now the judge says the jury didn’t follow his instructions. We have some options here: 1. Did the jurors indeed not follow instructions? 2. the pressure from the nfl on this judge made him look for a loophole to get the case overturned? 3. The nfl paid the judge

*you be the judge (no pun intended)

Might help us to look at the status of the Jon Gruden case and it’s current state for clues:  https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/jon-gruden-tries-one-last-time-to-get-nevada-supreme-court-to-keep-his-case-in-court

why should any of those be true?  The judge clearly stares where the jury went awry of his instructions.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

why should any of those be true?  The judge clearly stares where the jury went awry of his instructions.

Why did it take judge so long to realize this???

On 6/27/2024 at 8:20 PM, boyst said:

I don't get why people are so upset at their own choice to spend money or not to spend money.

Because the NFL is a monopoly, and there are laws in place which make it illegal for monopolies to price gouge. In the specific case of the NFL, the money from their price gouging is used to further enrich millionaire players and billionaire owners.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

Because the NFL is a monopoly, and there are laws in place which make it illegal for monopolies to price gouge. In the specific case of the NFL, the money from their price gouging is used to further enrich millionaire players and billionaire owners.

And let’s also not forget, the NFL is a nonprofit entity. Let that sink in for just a second.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

The NFL enjoys legal exemption from most anti-trust rules.  Plus, with the "success" of the UFL, there is no monopoly on pro football.

Have you or anyone calling out the NFL over how they make money considered if, as in MLB, teams have their own networks to broadcast their games?

Well, this is easy....with no network/streaming contracts league wide, there is no broadcast rights revenue sharing.  No revenue sharing, no Buffalo Bills--relatively few would pay for a "Bills Network" cable or streaming network.

Don't like getting most games on network TV or some cheap cable or streamer?  Go buy the Sunday Ticket.  Think it's too expensive for what you get?  Don't buy it.

This is the strangest case ever.  Who, as a class, was harmed by agreeing to pay the asking price for a product they had already judged worth what they paid?  Who, other than the NFL, would be selling NFL Sunday Ticket?  How were these consumers mislead?

• Like (+1) 5

5 minutes ago, major said:

Not really a surprise.  The original case was thrown out without merit and this one should never of been allowed. 

They got it back on appeal and now it was tossed again.

The entire thing is 2 groups of lawyers making money on a stupid system - just watch the plaintiffs try to run it around again to a group that favors them.

Stupid waste of time and money.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

10 hours ago, White Linen said:

I have two sons in college and wanted to take advantage of the student discount.  My son said the offer expired 7-30-24.  Anyone know if that's accurate or did anyone do this last year?

Yes, I got it for $109, but I thought the expiration date was 7/31, not that it matters now.  I believe the price is now $199

when direc-tv had the sunday ticket it was the best way for me to see all the Bills games with DVR. They basically had me at Bills 🙂

Many years of our subscription we were gifted the sunday ticket gratis because of being high value partaker of other direc tv channels content

after they lost their exclusivity the price I pay now for the NFL package has increased with all the new providers.

But there was never a question of me having Bills NFL access.

the results of this lawsuit yeah well there goes my trip to cabo with all the winnings accrued TCK

yeah LOL is right.

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

The NFL enjoys legal exemption from most anti-trust rules.  Plus, with the "success" of the UFL, there is no monopoly on pro football.

Have you or anyone calling out the NFL over how they make money considered if, as in MLB, teams have their own networks to broadcast their games?

Well, this is easy....with no network/streaming contracts league wide, there is no broadcast rights revenue sharing.  No revenue sharing, no Buffalo Bills--relatively few would pay for a "Bills Network" cable or streaming network.

Don't like getting most games on network TV or some cheap cable or streamer?  Go buy the Sunday Ticket.  Think it's too expensive for what you get?  Don't buy it.

This is the strangest case ever.  Who, as a class, was harmed by agreeing to pay the asking price for a product they had already judged worth what they paid?  Who, other than the NFL, would be selling NFL Sunday Ticket?  How were these consumers mislead?

Two points about the UFL. 1) Normally, for every 100 people who watch an NFL game, only about 5 will watch a UFL game. 2) The UFL is a spring football league. How is it "competing" with the NFL? If someone is watching an NFL game, it's literally impossible for him to change the channel to watch a UFL game instead. The games are on at different times of the year! To whatever extent the UFL is pulling viewers away from watching other professional sports, it's pulling them from spring sports such as baseball.

As for revenue sharing: that's great, but is off-topic.

When you have many customers dealing with one monopolist, said monopolist will always have more bargaining power. Much more. The only way customers can take any power back in that relationship is through government restrictions on the monopolist's behavior.

17 hours ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

Is it really price gouging?   Even if you have only watch one game a week it comes to $20 per week.   Why is that price gouging?  Is pay per view boxing WWE or MMA price gouging?

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

The NFL is not necessary for prosperity in this country. It has nothing to do with the ability or inclination to thrive or reach the American dream save for the opportunity to play football, coach football, or such a job that directly related to it. 

Gouging andnlaws preventing monopolies were created to keep 'ma Bell from having complete control over a function of our lives that we need. Not to stop us from hero worshipping some random sportsballman.

46 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Is it really price gouging?   Even if you have only watch one game a week it comes to $20 per week.   Why is that price gouging?  Is pay per view boxing WWE or MMA price gouging?

By the standard people seem the NFL than we can call HBO gouging.

It's amazing to me that so many people B word about this drinking a $10 latte frappe mocha chino spending $30 a pop across the board on their 6 streaming platforms while spending 99¢ a month to play candy crush on their $1,800 iPhone inside their house on a 2.5% interest rate they locked in 12 years ago with concern that housing is too expensive now compared to what their parents paid in the 80's.

This America is the dumbest version of itself ever. Can't wait until we get more electrolytes!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

Two points about the UFL. 1) Normally, for every 100 people who watch an NFL game, only about 5 will watch a UFL game. 2) The UFL is a spring football league. How is it "competing" with the NFL? If someone is watching an NFL game, it's literally impossible for him to change the channel to watch a UFL game instead. The games are on at different times of the year! To whatever extent the UFL is pulling viewers away from watching other professional sports, it's pulling them from spring sports such as baseball.

As for revenue sharing: that's great, but is off-topic.

When you have many customers dealing with one monopolist, said monopolist will always have more bargaining power. Much more. The only way customers can take any power back in that relationship is through government restrictions on the monopolist's behavior.

It doesn't matter if the two football leagues play at different times--or how many viewers watch..  you can only drive one car at a time, though there are other competing brands to the one that you bought or rented. Both leagues compete for your pro football devoted discretionary income.

Revenue sharing isn't off-topic, it destroys your argument. "Government restrictions" would end the NFL as we know it. The league became wildly successful because of revenue sharing. Why pretend otherwise?

Also, what "power" did the NFL viewing public lose to the NFL?  What are the damages?  Fans decided to pay more for more NFL content that they didn't need in order to still get a lot of NFL football in their homes.  I've never gotten the ticket because I don't need what it offers.  If I change my mind, I will pay extra for extra service.  How is the NFL acting like a monopoly by selling this product?  Aren't the Yankees  acting as a monopoly by owning the broadcast rights to its own games (and the Brooklyn Nets) on its own network that fans have to pay for?  Also right in town, MSG is the broadcaster of Knicks, Rangers, Sabres, Devils, Islanders....better pony up if you want to watch those teams.  

Conversely, the NFL is available on several broadcast networks for free, as well as cable and streamers and Sunday ticket.  Many ways to watch.  How is that a monopoly? 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, major said:

And let’s also not forget, the NFL is a nonprofit entity. Let that sink in for just a second.

Hmm, not even close to being true. The clubs had always been tax paying entities, only the NFL league office had been designated as a 501 (c) 3 , but they dropped that in 2015 as well. 

But the teams had ALWAYS been designated as for profit entities. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Hmm, not even close to being true. The clubs had always been tax paying entities, only the NFL league office had been designated as a 501 (c) 3 , but they dropped that in 2015 as well. 

But the teams had ALWAYS been designated as for profit entities. 

But let it sink in first!  LOL

• Haha (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Think it's too expensive for what you get?  Don't buy it.

Somewhere, there is a lonely YouTube TV customer rep waiting for @nucci to call for a discount...sitting by the phone, coffee in hand, dreams of a seaside vacation dancing in their head...but alas, those days are over...sigh...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1