Sunday Ticket lawsuit alleges price fixing by the NFL

In Sunday Ticket case, some owners might have a hard time coming up with $440 million

If/when the NFL has to come up with $14.088 billion (plus interest and fees) in the Sunday Ticket litigation, each team will have to come up with more than $440 million.

For many of the ultra-rich, there aren’t that many coins in the piggy bank.

There’s a difference between paper value and liquid cash. And if 345 Park Avenue has to put out the bat signal for $440 million per team, some owners will have a hard time coming up with that amount.

For one team, we know. The Packers, as a publicly-held corporation, must produce an annual report. Last year, the team had $583 million in “cash and investments.”

It might be hard to otherwise do business if more than 75 percent of the cash and investments on hand have to be handed over to the league.

Other owners might not be nearly as liquid as the Packers. That could make it even more important for owners lacking half a billion in gold bullion to accept private-equity investments. Which, if enough teams are looking for private equity, could depress the value.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/in-sunday-ticket-case-some-owners-might-have-a-hard-time-coming-up-with-440-million

On 6/28/2024 at 10:11 PM, Chaos said:

The corollary among those peope is that they think anyone who makes less them almost certainly deserves to be making less than.

Deserve is an interesting word.  Who “deserves” what and who decides?

in the vast majority of cases, in a free country, people earn based on the value other people think they provide-not based on some abstract idea like what is “deserved”.  Jeff Bezos gets money from me because I like the convenience his company offers me.  Terry Pegula gets money from me because I love the team he owns.  Etc, etc.  

Nobody is tricking me or forcing me to make those choices and I do have alternatives.  And so doors everyone here.

When I was younger, the company I worked for thought my labor was worth $4 per hour.  Now my employer thinks the value I bring to the table is worth more than that.  What I think I (or anyone other than my employer or I) think I “deserve” is irrelevant.

On 6/29/2024 at 7:09 AM, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

They all commit extortion in stadium negotiations. 

Extortion?  That is a word that has a specific meaning and involves the threat of the use of force.

That has never happened.  At worst, owners have threatened to move the teams they own to a place where they think they can make more money.  That isn’t extortion.  

i get it.  You don’t like the wealthy for whatever reason.  That doesn’t excuse you of throwing around accusations without any evidence or redefining words so you can accuse those bad people you don’t like of something sinister sounding.

On 6/27/2024 at 7:31 PM, Mr. WEO said:

yeah I don’t understand this suit.  People willingly paid the going price for MORE NFL viewing.  As the sole provider of this specific entertainment, who did the NFL “price fix” with?  And who was damaged amongst the people who decided the price was perfectly fine with them (or they would have chosen not to purchase it). 

the theory of this case is bizarre. 

Don't really know, but wonder if it has anything to do with how they've just been ***** around with how they distribute games which has been annoying as hell.

On 6/28/2024 at 8:41 PM, MJS said:

Unfortunately, this is the attitude of many people. Anyone who makes more money than them must have done so by corrupt means. Punish them because they are rich and corrupt.

It's just nonsense. Either they broke the law or they didn't. How much money they make is irrelevant.

Can't disagree that people tend to view things this way, also can't really disagree how ridiculous the massive disparity there has been the last half century or so in income increases. Sure companies make more money that's great but maybe spread some of those gains to your employees so the gap doesn't become so insane.

20 hours ago, Johnny Bravo said:

Extortion?  That is a word that has a specific meaning and involves the threat of the use of force.

That has never happened.  At worst, owners have threatened to move the teams they own to a place where they think they can make more money.  That isn’t extortion.  

i get it.  You don’t like the wealthy for whatever reason.  That doesn’t excuse you of throwing around accusations without any evidence or redefining words so you can accuse those bad people you don’t like of something sinister sounding.

what's it like to simp for billionaires?

i can't make sense of it

50 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

what's it like to simp for billionaires?

i can't make sense of it

You are the one who seems hung up on how much money other people have...not me.  I judge things by whether the facts as I see them and not based on whether or not someone’s demographic category.  You seem to have rejected the idea of blind justice (at least in this instance) which, unfortunately, a lot of other people seem to have done.

I accused you of either not know what the word extortion means or (worse) knowing what it means and using it anyway to describe a situation that you know isn't extortion.  Instead of defending your reasoning you chose to attack my motives...which is remarkable being that you don't know anything about me or my life.