Sunday Ticket lawsuit alleges price fixing by the NFL

6 hours ago, MJS said:

"The NFL also has argued that exclusive TV deals are protected by the Sports Broadcasting Act, which the league said “grants an antitrust exemption for the sale of ‘all or any part’ of broadcasting rights.”"

Is this true? If so, what is the argument that the NFL broke the law?

It's true to an extent. Ever since the merger or shortly after in the early 70's an act of congress gave the NFL the right to act as one bargaining unit instead of 32 individual ones when it comes to TV broadcast rights and other advertising rights. 

The argument made by the litigators in this suit is that anti-trust exemption only applies to the free, over the air network broadcasts and not to subscription deals. It looks as though they were right, at least for now. 

6 hours ago, MJS said:

"The NFL also has argued that exclusive TV deals are protected by the Sports Broadcasting Act, which the league said “grants an antitrust exemption for the sale of ‘all or any part’ of broadcasting rights.”"

Is this true? If so, what is the argument that the NFL broke the law?

Maybe because they claim that they are entertainment not a sport. Maybe a case of trying have your cake and eat it too. 

But I have no actual idea if that’s true 🤷‍♂️

9 hours ago, Einstein said:

Florio has been tracking this case from the very beginning. As a former litigator and corporate attorney, Florio has done a great job explaining every step of the case.

Before the verdict came out, he mentioned that the judge has been very skeptical of much of the case, and most notably the plaintifffs atorneys conduct. He said don't be surprised if the jury returns a guilty verdict with a large award and then the judge reverses it (or lessens the award).

If the judge can reverse the decision, ostensibly decide the case, then why even have a jury?

My 1st year subscribing to the Ticket was 2000... I only missed one year since (2022) because I had just had enough of Direct TV... I remember the threads here where we all shared our experiences and strategies for getting discounts and free years...lol... One time I canceled and they called my bluff, but I called them back because they had yet to send out my return boxes, and they offered me the ticket free to re-up for a year. So I did of course...

I want my money... :D

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Awesome News for the fans. I believe I read that this will force the NFL to provide team-specific packages. Hopefully we can buy a Bills team package for a much cheaper price! 

STANDING OVATION. This to me would be the Cherry. I will still pay  to watch my Bills with no complaints. But who doesn't love a bargain for something you were already willing to pay for.

Having said that I'll believe we receive something back when that check is in my hot little hands. Just sayin'

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Regardless of the amount of money that is eventually paid, the customers for every NFL product or service will pay for this in higher prices.  The NFL will recoup this money as they do with every business expense.  The only people coming out ahead on this are the members of the lawsuit class and the attorneys.  The only losers in this are those of us that spend money on the NFL in the future.

7 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

The law is broken routinely by these people. Any other set of 32 businesses acting in cahoots with one another would be broken by regulatory authorities

but not these billionaires, they used their wealth and influence to corrupt politicians to write laws to favor them and protect them from antitrust regulations

hopefully, this is the first step to breaking that protection.

Can you be more specific?  What laws has Terry Pegula routinely broken, or Jerry Jones, or the Mara family, etc.

Let’s not hide behind vague accusations of law breaking.  Tell us who broke what laws, and I’ll agree with you that they should punished.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Johnny Bravo said:

This sort of attitude is so annoying.  What does the owner’s wealth have to do with whether or not this decision is right?

if a law was broken then they should suffer a penalty.  If no wrong was done, then they shouldn’t.  

Your stated desire to see someone punished because they are wealthier than you is ugly.  Envy is just as deadly a sin as greed.

Unfortunately, this is the attitude of many people. Anyone who makes more money than them must have done so by corrupt means. Punish them because they are rich and corrupt.

It's just nonsense. Either they broke the law or they didn't. How much money they make is irrelevant.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, MJS said:

Unfortunately, this is the attitude of many people. Anyone who makes more money than them must have done so by corrupt means. Punish them because they are rich and corrupt.

It's just nonsense. Either they broke the law or they didn't. How much money they make is irrelevant.

They say capitalism is bad.  But they have no better system to offer in its place.

27 minutes ago, MJS said:

The corollary among those peope is that they think anyone who makes less them almost certainly deserves to be making less than.

17 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Equates to almost 2,000 per Sunday ticket subscriber.  Florio is all over it.  This thing will be fought til the end.  Florio pointed out that one of the Supreme court justices was awarded a Super Bowl ring by Jerry Jones in the 90’s.  NFL will fight it to the end. 

If Florio is all over it his conclusion will be the Bills will be in danger of moving to Toronto soon. 

9 hours ago, MJS said:

They all commit extortion in stadium negotiations. 

• Dislike 1

13 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Awesome News for the fans. I believe I read that this will force the NFL to provide team-specific packages. Hopefully we can buy a Bills team package for a much cheaper price! 

Don't get your hopes up on the cheaper price part.  The NBA has a single team access for League Pass.  $14.99 per month for the entire league, $13.99 per month if you just want one team.

Edited by Billy Claude
  • Thank you (+1) 1