Sunday Ticket lawsuit alleges price fixing by the NFL

1 minute ago, stevestojan said:

But that’s my point. How many people balk at $350, therefore the revenue is zero, but would happily pony up $50 for their team? My point isn’t to reduce revenue of course. But my strong guess is that thousands of more people so are currently spending zero would happily spend $50 to watch their team? 

They would lose a lot of money.

Like you said many people really just want one team but a lot of those people are paying the $350 even if they are not super happy about it.  For your scenario to work,  they would need to pick up 6 new subscribers for every subscriber that downgrades from the full package to the single team package.   That isn't going to happen.  

4 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

They would lose a lot of money.

Like you said many people really just want one team but a lot of those people are paying the $350 even if they are not super happy about it.  For your scenario to work,  they would need to pick up 6 new subscribers for every subscriber that downgrades from the full package to the single team package.   That isn't going to happen.  

Valid. I guess I’m just thinking they are definitely 6x the number of casual fans who would never pay $350 (remember, all of us here are football junkies) but would happily pay $50. But I guess there’s no way to prove that out. I absolutely see your point though. 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Valid. I guess I’m just thinking they are definitely 6x the number of casual fans who would never pay $350 (remember, all of us here are football junkies) but would happily pay $50. But I guess there’s no way to prove that out. I absolutely see your point though. 

Yeah, it's all s guess but I assume have models.

Like I said, the NBA offers single team packages but at 80% to 90% of the full package.  I assume if forced the NFL would do the same.

Edited by Billy Claude

45 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

$30-50 for an out of towner to watch a Bills game is sorta a bargain. 
Attending a game is $200+ for two tix. Another $30 for Uber or parking. Pregame or tailgate another $100. 
add in flight, rental car, hotel, and folding table and you’re near $1000 for two people. 

All in it $600+ per person if you’re from 6+ hrs away. 

Which is exactly the way it will be pitched, but it won't end up being cheaper than the current Sunday Ticket situation.

2 hours ago, Billy Claude said:

I didn't know that there was a lawsuit.

It wouldn't matter, because the NFL would offer a single team package at 90% of the full package, however ,if the NBA and NHL are required to offer single team packages why isn't the NFL also required?  

these were separate cases. Since nfl was on DTV they were not a part to it. It was focused on cable.

the case is why now on digital cable instead  of having 10-14 stations to broadcast various games thst day, some woukd air on the same station like a 7 pm game on east coast followed be a 10 or later west coat game. Now allthe teams have individual stations in alphabetic order in a range of stations.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, stevestojan said:

But that’s my point. How many people balk at $350, therefore the revenue is zero, but would happily pony up $50 for their team? My point isn’t to reduce revenue of course. But my strong guess is that thousands of more people so are currently spending zero would happily spend $50 to watch their team? 

There's no way it's $50 for one team.  Maybe per game, but not for the season.

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, boyst said:

I don't get why people are so upset at their own choice to spend money or not to spend money.

yeah I don’t understand this suit.  People willingly paid the going price for MORE NFL viewing.  As the sole provider of this specific entertainment, who did the NFL “price fix” with?  And who was damaged amongst the people who decided the price was perfectly fine with them (or they would have chosen not to purchase it). 

the theory of this case is bizarre. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Equates to almost 2,000 per Sunday ticket subscriber.  Florio is all over it.  This thing will be fought til the end.  Florio pointed out that one of the Supreme court justices was awarded a Super Bowl ring by Jerry Jones in the 90’s.  NFL will fight it to the end. 

44 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Equates to almost 2,000 per Sunday ticket subscriber.  Florio is all over it.  This thing will be fought til the end.  Florio pointed out that one of the Supreme court justices was awarded a Super Bowl ring by Jerry Jones in the 90’s.  NFL will fight it to the end. 

They say by the time the lawyers get through, those subscribers will be lucky to get $100 from a class action lawsuit. 

• Agree 1

I don't care if it is a penny. To get a DIME back from the NFL will be spent oh beer and pizza money for the next Bills game. I'm a happy camper either way

lol

Oh yeah we gonna get heap big Dinero..yeah I don't think so but it's a fun thought

🍿

Whoever lead counsel for the NFL that wanted to go to trial versus settle is about to be out of a job...holy crap...he just cost them $14 Billion...probably could have settled for $2 or 3 Billion, maybe less.

Edited by Big Turk