June 6, 2024 -- 80th Anniversary of D-Day

SoTier

Tomorrow, June 6, 2024, marks the 80th anniversary of the D-Day invasion.   World leaders, including the POTUS, will gather in France for the ceremonies.   There will be numerous television programs to remember the battle, including a program on WIVB in Buffalo (Channel 4) at 7pm tonight with a local slant (according to the ads for it).

It's likely that most TSW members had fathers, grandfathers, great-grandfathers, and/or other relatives who served in WW II.  My father, two uncles, and at least 3 of my mother's cousins served in Europe and the Pacific, including the Japanese invasion of some isolated islands in the Aleutians. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Of all the channels out there you would think that the History channel would be showing current/past coverage, etc. of this but no, it's nothing but 1 hour shows of pawn stars. 

Posted (edited)

both mine and hubbys dads were WWII vets and hence their children WWII buffs. . Hubby is watching "The Longest Day" and "saving Private Ryan" to reminesce. MY FIL was a tail gunner in a B-25. My dad was an aircraft mechanic who served in the Phillipines (Corrigadore)

Edited by muppy

1 hour ago, T&C said:

Of all the channels out there you would think that the History channel would be showing current/past coverage, etc. of this but no, it's nothing but 1 hour shows of pawn stars. 

Must have left it to a 23 year old program director to determine today's schedule. 🙄

The weirdest thing watching coverage today from Normandy was having a German flag in the background. I guess, they took part in the whole thing so it's only fair. 🤷🏼‍♂️🤣

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.