The Inaugural All-UFL Team

11 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

YAWN...Who was it here that suggested you aren't a true football fan if you don't follow these leagues?   Not you @PromoTheRobot

I'll never understand why spring football is such an affront to some folks. Don't watch it. It's okay 

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Yeah, Wade is an excellent coach. I'm very surprised that he isn't still a defensive coordinator in the NFL.

I guess teams get sick of the retreads and want the next new thing, and then quality coaches like Wade get overlooked.

Wade is getting up in years. The UFL isn't year round work like the NFL. Maybe he likes his falls free.

8 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Explain how that was used incorrectly.

“Objectively entertaining” is an oxymoron.

Finding something entertaining is personal preference and completely subjective. 

Some people find cricket entertaining. It doesn’t make it objectively entertaining to me lol.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, FireChans said:

“Objectively entertaining” is an oxymoron.

Finding something entertaining is personal preference and completely subjective. 

Some people find cricket entertaining. It doesn’t make it objectively entertaining to me lol.

No it's not. Something needs to have the defined elements of entertainment in order to be objectively entertaining.

For instance, a football game where both teams score over 20 points, there are 2+ turnovers, and the outcome comes down to the last drive is objectively entertaining, even though it may not be everyone's cup of tea. There are people out there who don't like sports at all who wouldn't be entertained by that, but it is objectively entertaining by any definition of the word.

Also, like an action movie with a cast of star actors, high-intensity action sequences, and a soundtrack of popular hits is going to be objectively entertaining by any definition of the word, yet some people will hate it.

So you're objectively wrong, but feel free to keep "lol-ing" at your own attempts to steer the conversation towards pointless semantics.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

No it's not. Something needs to have the defined elements of entertainment in order to be objectively entertaining.

For instance, a football game where both teams score over 20 points, there are 2+ turnovers, and the outcome comes down to the last drive is objectively entertaining, even though it may not be everyone's cup of tea. There are people out there who don't like sports at all who wouldn't be entertained by that, but it is objectively entertaining by any definition of the word.

Also, like an action movie with a cast of star actors, high-intensity action sequences, and a soundtrack of popular hits is going to be objectively entertaining by any definition of the word, yet some people will hate it.

So you're objectively wrong, but feel free to keep "lol-ing" at your own attempts to steer the conversation towards pointless semantics.

So if it’s not “everyone’s cup of tea,” then they are all wrong?

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

It's like 1 in 4 UFL players land with an NFL team after the season, but most then get cut during preseason. I think only a few have stayed in the NFL since last season.

Someone said "I like football as much as the next guy, but I won't watch this league" and I told them "then you literally don't like football as much as the next guy"... Maybe you're thinking about that, Idk.

It's funny that some people like to go into the UFL thread just to disparage it, but if you honestly love football why wouldn't you want more football in the off-season?

I honestly love sushi.  I don't eat gas station sushi.

14 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

If you're a football fan gambling addict that can be entertained by a Kansas St vs BYU game, for instance, it's not hard to be entertained by the UFL. 

fixed.

Anyway, the ratings dropped again this past weekend.  They can't get new viewers to tune in, which is how all these leagues die.

On 6/5/2024 at 6:19 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

I was about to mention that. Big leg but misses gimmes.  I'm sure all these players and a few more will get invited to NFL camps. 102 got invites last  year but only two made an NFL roster or PS. But that's the whole point of the UFL for players: get noticed and earn one more shot.

That's what's strange about Bass. Has a tough time with the "easy" field goals, but he's money when it comes to extra points.

On 6/6/2024 at 10:01 PM, LABILLBACKER said:

Bring in Bates & Butler...rattle Bass's cage a little. Since 80% of the fans want to run Claypool out with torches & pitchforks, you can never have too many wrs.

By Butler I assume you mean Hakeem Butler, the WR who was just named the UFL's Offensive Player of the Year.

"Butler had 45 catches for a league-high 652 receiving yards and five touchdowns for the St. Louis Battlehawks this season. He will have a chance to add to those titles in a conference title game against San Antonio this weekend."

The former Cardinals 4th rounder has excellent measureables at 6'5" and 227 pounds:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/hakeem-butler/32004255-5416-1833-e211-34b9abca1909

He fits the profile of receiver the Bills seem to be accumulating.

• Agree 1

On 6/6/2024 at 9:46 PM, FireChans said:

Idk man.

I love college football. I love the NFL. I watch hundreds of games in the fall.

I can’t get into this stuff. I’m not sure why.

I guess in CFB you have rivalries which is always fun and in the NFL, if you follow the league, you kinda know most guys playing long enough. 

There’s just something missing.

UFL is something I watch when it is on TV and I happen to pass by it. I tend to mostly enjoy it for what it is when I catch it but I never go out of my way for it. There’s just no attachment to the teams and no reason to be fully invested. I do hope the league sticks around.

I think if they could get keep plodding a course for 10 more years they could make inroads. Sports leagues take time to build and spring leagues having a reputation for going out of business quick leads people to not be as invested.

But if they can be there for at least a decade they could see more traction and get people to invest in teams that start to stick around. Look at the WNBA. The NBA kept investing in it and after it had a hot start it was a money loser that was only kept around because David Stern really believed in it and thought not only was it great marketing but also that if they could get the product to stick around and build market strength it could be profitable decades in. 

Right now the NBA keeping the WNBA around seems to be hitting a tipping point where in 5-10 years the league could be vastly more popular and is already undergoing expansion. 

5 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Viewership went up from last season, meaning they gained new viewers

they started with more viewers, true.  it’s a new league.  But when viewership declines, that’s by definition an inability to not only maintain viewers but add new ones.  

simple as that.

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

they started with more viewers, true.  it’s a new league.  But when viewership declines, that’s by definition an inability to not only maintain viewers but add new ones.  

simple as that.

These aren't new teams.

When they gain new viewers from season to season, that's by definition an ability to maintain and add new ones.

It's as simple as that.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

These aren't new teams.

When they gain new viewers from season to season, that's by definition an ability to maintain and add new ones.

It's as simple as that.

where did those new viewers go as the season has entered its last weeks? 

are they now no-longer-interested old viewers?

if you are no longer viewing, can you still be considered a viewer? 

Edited by Mr. WEO

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

where did those new viewers go as the season has entered its last weeks? 

are they now no-longer-interested old viewers?

if you are no longer viewing, can you still be considered a viewer? 

Where did all the viewers from last season go?

Oh, wait. They went nowhere. They increased by 36%

36 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Where did all the viewers from last season go?

Oh, wait. They went nowhere. They increased by 36%

not last week.  Viewers trending down means “they had more than last year so fewer viewers each week this year means the numbers of new viewers is increasing!”

I kind of like that! Why not?

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

not last week.  Viewers trending down means “they had more than last year so fewer viewers each week this year means the numbers of new viewers is increasing!”

I kind of like that! Why not?

You also like that "more viewers year over year means losing viewers"

Don't ask me to make sense of your logic.

Edited by LeGOATski