Chargers Center Corey Linsley to retire, should we trade Clapp back to them?

Posted (edited)

Chargers all pro center expected to retire due to medical reasons.  https://www.yahoo.com/sports/chargers-release-center-corey-linsley-174945900.html

Clapp might be of interest to them given they will have limited options now post-draft to find an adequate replacement and he is familiar with the scheme/started some games for them at C last couple years. Given the Van Pran pick, we may have enough depth at Center now.  Would love for the Bills to capitalize on their neediness and trade Clapp to the chargers for a mid (if not early-mid) round pick in 2025.

Edited by vtnatefootball11
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

Chargers all pro center expected to retire due to medical reasons.  https://www.yahoo.com/sports/chargers-release-center-corey-linsley-174945900.html

Clapp might be of interest to them given they will have limited options now post-draft to find an adequate replacement and he is familiar with the scheme/started some games for them at C last couple years. Given the Van Pran pick, we may have enough depth at Center now.  Would love for the Bills to capitalize on their neediness and trade Clapp to the chargers for a mid (if not early-mid) round pick in 2025.

No, we should not.  

Connor McGovern has started one (1) game in the NFL at C.  One.  

Clapp has started a whopping 12 or 14 games at C.

Even if they think McGovern will be better at C than Clapp and that Edmunds will be adequate at LG, it's not worth it to leave ourselves with a 1 game guy and a 0 game 5th round rookie (who needs technique development)  as our options at C.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

No, we should not.  

Connor McGovern has started one (1) game in the NFL at C.  One.  

Clapp has started a whopping 12 or 14 games at C.

Even if they think McGovern will be better at C than Clapp and that Edmunds will be adequate at LG, it's not worth it to leave ourselves with a 1 game guy and a 0 game 5th round rookie (who needs technique development)  as our options at C.

I don't think the Bills brass is as concerned as you are. They never would have traded away Bates if they weren't very comfortable with McGovern at Center. He may have only played 1 snap in the NFL at center but remember he originally committed to Penn St. as a center out of highshool, and is very comfortable there, he says he feels it's his natural position. Also, Edwards has already proven he's a very capable starting guard, not only with the Rams but with the Bills last year as well. I do agree that the extra interior depth Clapp provides is nice but if the Bills feel good about Van Pran (who was a 3 year starter at Georgia, not like he's a super high risk 1 year starter in college), and we could get like a 3rd or 4th for Clapp, we would be crazy not to. Clapp will absolutely not be a starter barring some serious injuries on the interior, he is purely depth, but he may be worth a lot more to Chargers than to us.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

for what, a 6th round pick? No thanks - not unless they plan to cut him. When Harbaugh was last int he NFL he was an elite coach, which he then repeated in the 3rd consecutive situation at Michigan. I'm not looking to help them out at all unless we get helped significantly more.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

for what, a 6th round pick? No thanks - not unless they plan to cut him. When Harbaugh was last int he NFL he was an elite coach, which he then repeated in the 3rd consecutive situation at Michigan. I'm not looking to help them out at all unless we get helped significantly more.

I said a mid round pick.  Would you do it for a 4th?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

Sure, and I'd trade Von Miller for a 1st and Justin Jefferson too. Do career backups on vet minimum deals get traded for 4th round picks?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Bring Clapp into camp, the Bills as far as I am aware do not have a center outside of Clapp with any significant NFL experience. SVPG is a pure center but just a rookie and while McGovern is the plan at center he doesn't have significant NFL experience there. So as much as I don't think Clapp will make the final roster I think they need him in camp as an experienced NFL center and he may be better than advertised. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

I don't think the Bills brass is as concerned as you are. They never would have traded away Bates if they weren't very comfortable with McGovern at Center. He may have only played 1 snap in the NFL at center but remember he originally committed to Penn St. as a center out of highshool, and is very comfortable there, he says he feels it's his natural position. Also, Edwards has already proven he's a very capable starting guard, not only with the Rams but with the Bills last year as well. I do agree that the extra interior depth Clapp provides is nice but if the Bills feel good about Van Pran (who was a 3 year starter at Georgia, not like he's a super high risk 1 year starter in college), and we could get like a 3rd or 4th for Clapp, we would be crazy not to. Clapp will absolutely not be a starter barring some serious injuries on the interior, he is purely depth, but he may be worth a lot more to Chargers than to us.

I mean, you may be right that the Bills brass isn't as concerned as I am.  After all, they had every confidence in Russell Bodine starting at C in front of rookie Josh Allen the year Eric Wood retired for medical reasons, and they weren't concerned about that (though they should have been, and after that season, Beane acknowledged they should have done more).

But the thread asked our opinions here on OBD, not "what do we think the Bills brass will do".  You asked for our opinions, I gave you mine.

I don't care how brilliant a guy was coming out of high school.  Justin Shorter was a top recruit at WR coming out of high school. By that metric, the other WR should just go home.  But the NFL is a whole different level from even Alabama (or Georgia), and a guy like McGovern who committed to a D1 school as a Center but hasn't played it much since then, needs to Show Me before I think it's wise to bail on the only other option on the roster with actual game experience at C.

Guys who have forgotten more ball than I'll ever know like @Buffalo716 have pointed out some of Van Pran Granger's need for technique development.  I hope he develops fast, but let's not bet the season on it.

The point isn't to have a "capable" OL, the point is to have a great OL, at least as good as last year and maybe better.  And if David Edmunds were a better LG than Connor McGovern, he would have started there last season.

• Like (+1) 1

Trade Clapp back to the Chargers for a pick that we could possibly package to move up?

I would apppplaud such a move.

22 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

If I'm going to give anyone the clapp it's the Chiefs

Your spirit is infectious.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Trade Clapp back to the Chargers for a pick that we could possibly package to move up?

I would apppplaud such a move.

Your spirit is infectious.

I see what you did there. Package and infectious in the same post.🤣 Either way,the rook will be starting at center week 6 and McGov will be back at LG. Might as well make a move?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

I stepped in some gum earlier today.  I wonder if I could scrape it off my shoe and trade it for a third round pick.

38 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I mean, you may be right that the Bills brass isn't as concerned as I am.  After all, they had every confidence in Russell Bodine starting at C in front of rookie Josh Allen the year Eric Wood retired for medical reasons, and they weren't concerned about that (though they should have been, and after that season, Beane acknowledged they should have done more).

But the thread asked our opinions here on OBD, not "what do we think the Bills brass will do".  You asked for our opinions, I gave you mine.

I don't care how brilliant a guy was coming out of high school.  Justin Shorter was a top recruit at WR coming out of high school. By that metric, the other WR should just go home.  But the NFL is a whole different level from even Alabama (or Georgia), and a guy like McGovern who committed to a D1 school as a Center but hasn't played it much since then, needs to Show Me before I think it's wise to bail on the only other option on the roster with actual game experience at C.

Guys who have forgotten more ball than I'll ever know like @Buffalo716 have pointed out some of Van Pran Granger's need for technique development.  I hope he develops fast, but let's not bet the season on it.

The point isn't to have a "capable" OL, the point is to have a great OL, at least as good as last year and maybe better.  And if David Edmunds were a better LG than Connor McGovern, he would have started there last season.

I agree I wouldn't be trading him for a late round pick when three is better than one...

I do have faith that McGovern will be a good center for the bills... As I've said it's physically easier to play center in the modern NFL 

You have to be smart and quick... But you're mainly combination blocking... Helping out guards... And moving to the second level... Pass protection is the easiest out of the line positions 

Guards take on elite 3tech athletes one on one... Centers don't 

I like McGovern going to center as a big strong Athlete... Even if he doesn't have a lot of experience 

Him, clapp and vpg is a solid room.. where I can see vpg being our starting center after a year or two of grooming... Which will never hurt 

He can workout his technique flaws like overreaching... And improve his core strength 

But he has a habit of overreaching because of his lack of length... And he's only going to go up against bigger longer athletes in the NFL... And they will abuse that flaw 

I'm not sure they would be interested in him. Chargers are under new management and want to bring in "their guys". Honestly, I'd think if they trade for anyone it would more likely to be someone with ties to the Baltimore Ravens and Greg Roman. 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

Of course…..

Easy answer.  No question.  If McGovern is our starting C this season, I’d rather have SVPG backing him up.  

We’re talking about a guy that signed for 1.2M, 250k gtd.  Those guys don’t get traded for 4th rd picks at this stage of the offseason imo.  

1 hour ago, Billl said:

I stepped in some gum earlier today.  I wonder if I could scrape it off my shoe and trade it for a third round pick.

Nice contribution.

Here for one reason

Edited by NewEra

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.