Matt Parrino - "Claypool has been most consistent WR during OTAs"

1 hour ago, Brand J said:

With that said, Parrino also mentioned Jamarcus Ingram was holding his own with Coleman, even had the defensive sideline hooting and hollering.

Where did he say that? This is what he said in his report on yesterday's OTAs:

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2024/06/buffalo-bills-otas-week-3-observations-von-miller-flashing-keon-coleman-gets-physical.html

On Tuesday, Coleman locked up with third-year cornerback Ja’Marcus Ingram at one point for two memorable plays.

The first was a physical exchange in which the two players locked up, battled off the field, and pushed into the defensive sideline. After the two finally separated, Coleman put his head down and marched back into the offensive huddle. Then, he ran out for another rep against Ingram. This time, the rookie set up the defensive back with pretty footwork and beat him on his route to get wide open. The only problem was that the ball went to the other side of the field.

I'm not going to read anything into two random OTA reps anyways, but sounds like he flat out beat Ingram.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I don't want to get my hopes up too much. Wouldn't it be nice though to get lucky if he turns his career around here?

I don’t know- that our most consistent receiver is setting up a run at the 53 could be compliment to him or concern about our question marks above him 

him being among our best could be a huge blessing or season derailing curse 

Yeahhhh I had that thought too. But he is by far the most physically gifted WR on the roster, one of the most physically gifted players on the roster actually. Is he going to turn into AJ Brown? Obviously not. Can be he a legit starting outside WR though? I think there is a path for that at least.

He’s at about the age when the frontal lobe starts to come together. I used to think that was silly business, but I’ve come to believe there really is something to it. Who knows? Time will tell. 

Whatever it is, if he can get his act together and realize his potential, that would be very helpful! 

28 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Where did he say that? This is what he said in his report on yesterday's OTAs:

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2024/06/buffalo-bills-otas-week-3-observations-von-miller-flashing-keon-coleman-gets-physical.html

I'm not going to read anything into two random OTA reps anyways, but sounds like he flat out beat Ingram.

I thought I had read exactly what you posted as well. I didn't know where he was getting that

Claypool being a player is a real boost to the room.  Long time from now til September though. Today Shakir, Samuel, Coleman, MVS, Claypool and Hollins.  Hollins is a likely team captain and special teams ace.  I dont see more than 6 making it.  

Posted (edited)

Ok, the resident Notre Dame homer has entered the chat. :lol: Seriously though, Claypool was my guy in 2020. I wanted us to draft him bad. He's 6'4", almost 240lbs, and still ran a 4.42 40. While at ND he improved every season. He had good hands, excellent body control, could high-point the ball well, and knew how to use his body to shield defenders. He also had some really meh QB's tossing him the rock and still put up solid numbers. 

Rookie year comes along and Claypool was exactly what I thought he would be for Pittsburgh, a deep threat and solid #2 option. 

The 2nd year was basically a repeat of the 1st year without all of the TD's. At that point he started thinking a bit too highly of himself, talking about he was a top 3 WR. He also started acting like an idiot off of the field getting into fights outside of clubs. There was a video going around that showed him kicking a guy in the head while he was on the ground. A total punk move. Quickly his career started to downward spiral. Without Big Ben he came back to earth and Pittsburgh shipped him out of town before the trade deadline. He then only makes it 10 games with the Bears before he ends up sent packing for Miami. I know it looked like a better situation for him from the outside, but I don't think he really fits what Miami does on offense. Especially with them having the two speedsters in Hill and Waddle, then having the overpaid Cedrick Wilson they were trying to incorporate due to his salary. They also gave 32 or more targets to Smythe, Berrios, Achane, and Mostert. There's nothing left after that, and he was already behind the 8 ball having to pick up the offense on the fly. 

I think this year in Buffalo will be like a breath of fresh air for him. A full offseason in an offense. OTA's, TC, and preseason with a team. A team with an established top 5 NFL QB, not some bum team like the Bears were. We're his 4th team in 4 years and he knows that time is running out as far as his chances go to really turn into something. Crazy thing is, he'll still only have just turned 26 when TC starts. If he gets back to rookie year form in this offense, then we could potentially have a solid player on our hands for the next 4 or 5 years. Fingers crossed and I'm hoping the best for the young man. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 9

Posted (edited)

I don't want to get my hopes up too much. Wouldn't it be nice though to get lucky if he turns his career around here?

Its early, but this is still great to hear.  I mean this is a guy who a couple years into his career was looking like a future beast but his immaturity and attitude sunk his career.  

I felt Buffalo was the best place for him as do really feel like the culture, locker room, and McD really help people be their best selves.  The issue is its very easy right now for Chase to have the right attitude and do and say the right things as he came in as a guy who had to prove it. 

Nothing will be handed to him here and once we get into camp and preseason, if he is still running behind other guys in more of a backup role and ST player, is he going to get discouraged and revert back to some of that immaturity if he feels he should be higher up the depth chart and a bigger part of the offense.  

Im rooting for this guy because him and Keon on the outside with Shakir and Samuel attacking from the slot and Kincaid pressuring the seems would be really hard to defend. 

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 5

This board is consistent.

The “we suck at WR” crowd:  “most consistent” means the other guys suck and we’re doomed.

The “we’ll be ok at WR” crowd:  “most consistent” means a pleasant surprise coming from a talented but previously inconsistent player.

You do you, Wallers…I’ll wait to see how guys look when they’re wearing pads and playing real snaps.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

Ok, the resident Notre Dame homer has entered the chat. :lol: Seriously though, Claypool was my guy in 2020. I wanted us to draft him bad. He's 6'4", almost 240lbs, and still ran a 4.42 40. While at ND he improved every season. He had good hands, excellent body control, could high-point the ball well, and knew how to use his body to shield defenders. He also had some really meh QB's tossing him the rock and still put up solid numbers. 

Rookie year comes along and Claypool was exactly what I thought he would be for Pittsburgh, a deep threat and solid #2 option. 

The 2nd year was basically a repeat of the 1st year without all of the TD's. At that point he started thinking a bit too highly of himself, talking about he was a top 3 WR. He also started acting like an idiot off of the field getting into fights outside of clubs. There was a video going around that showed him kicking a guy in the head while he was on the ground. A total punk move. Quickly his career started to downward spiral. Without Big Ben he came back to earth and Pittsburgh shipped him out of town before the trade deadline. He then only makes it 10 games with the Bears before he ends up sent packing for Miami. I know it looked like a better situation for him from the outside, but I don't think he really fits what Miami does on offense. Especially with them having the two speedsters in Hill and Waddle, then having the overpaid Cedrick Wilson they were trying to incorporate due to his salary. They also gave 32 or more targets to Smythe, Berrios, Achane, and Mostert. There's nothing left after that, and he was already behind the 8 ball having to pick up the offense on the fly. 

I think this year is Buffalo will be like a breath of fresh air for him. A full offseason in an offense. OTA's, TC, and preseason with a team. A team with an established top 5 NFL QB, not some bum team like the Bears were. We're his 4th team in 4 years and he knows that time is running out as far as his chances go to really turn into something. Crazy thing is, he'll still only have just turned 26 when TC starts. If he gets back to rookie year form in this offense, then we could potentially have a solid player on our hands for the next 4 or 5 years. Fingers crossed and I'm hoping the best for the young man. 

I would argue its the style of play asked of him.  When he could line up wide and Ben saw single coverage he threw it to him down the field.  He was very good playing like that.  Buffalo has a bunch of guys to work underneath with Shakir, Kincaid, Cook and Samuel.  Claypool and MVS operate better down field. 

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

Last season the Bills only had 5 WRs active for game day.  The others were inactive or on the practice squad.

At least at the beginning of the season last season:

- Diggs

- Davis

- Shakir

- Sherfield

- Harty

Harty was the KR and back up slot so he took one of the slots last season.

That leaves only 4 left to be active on gameday.  Maybe it is 

- Claypool

- MVS

- Shakir

- Samuels

- KR ???

- Coleman inactive at least for the first few games.

Is their any indication from OTA's who is taking Kickoffs and Punt returns ?  That could tell us alot about the top 5

Edited by JakeFrommStateFarm
  • Disagree 2

Posted (edited)

From Matt Parrino Shout Buffalo Football Podcast insider text line
- A feisty rep between Keon Coleman and Ja'Marcus Ingram was a highlight of the day. The ball didn't even go in that area of the field but the two were pushing and shoving and it spilled all the way off the field and into the defensive sideline. The defense made a ton of noise as the two battled. Coleman came back on the next route and appeared to beat Ingram with a nice route/move, but the ball went to the other side.

Edited by Watching since 1964
  • Like (+1) 3

Kid’s  showing maturity and acting the correct way and I’m rooting for him. He was a projected as a fine receiver coming out of ND and just lost his way. Keep it going Chase, if anyone can resurrect a receiver’s career it’s #17. 

13 minutes ago, Watching since 1964 said:

From Matt Parrino Shout Buffalo Football Podcast insider text line
- A feisty rep between Keon Coleman and Ja'Marcus Ingram was a highlight of the day. The ball didn't even go in that area of the field but the two were pushing and shoving and it spilled all the way off the field and into the defensive sideline. The defense made a ton of noise as the two battled. Coleman came back on the next route and appeared to beat Ingram with a nice route/move, but the ball went to the other side.

CANT BEAT INGRAM BUST

23 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Its early, but this is still great to hear.  I mean this is a guy who a couple years into his career was looking like a future beast but his immaturity and attitude sunk his career.  

I felt Buffalo was the best place for him as do really feel like the culture, locker room, and McD really help people be their best selves.  The issue is its very easy right now for Chase to have the right attitude and do and say the right things as he came in as a guy who had to prove it. 

Nothing will be handed to him here and once we get into camp and preseason, if he is still running behind other guys in more of a backup role and ST player, is he going to get discouraged and revert back to some of that immaturity if he feels he should be higher up the depth chart and a bigger part of the offense.  

Im rooting for this guy because him and Keon on the outside with Shakir and Samuel attacking from the slot and Kincaid pressuring the seems would be really hard to defend. 

100%

Chase probably has top 2 raw talent of this WR group.

The perk of having a strong lockerroom and good football culture is that lost souls like Claypool have a chance of falling in line.

it’s a long shot but man oh man would it be nice.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Coleman

Shakir

Samuel

MVS

Claypool

Hollins 

That's my 6 for the roster.  

My brother the Vikes fan gave it 4 years before Diggs would make his way out of Buffalo.  

Seems like the consensus best 6 at the moment

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

100%

Chase probably has top 2 raw talent of this WR group.

The perk of having a strong lockerroom and good football culture is that lost souls like Claypool have a chance of falling in line.

it’s a long shot but man oh man would it be nice.

Agreed...and its a lot to expect from a player, and while this is something no one should hold their breath on as its an uphill battle, there are plenty of cases where guys got past their demons to realize their talent like Cris Carter for example.  

If he can do it though, this offense would be a nightmare matchup.  That kind of size and athleticism on the outside in Keon and Chase with Shakir, Smauel, and Kincaid feasting in short to mid areas, pass catching RB's in the backfield...and all the while teams have to protect against Allen taking off as well...good luck to DC's with that task.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I agree with all you wrote, I as well am a big Coleman fan but keep in mind Ingram has a year of experience and is 5 years older so I am not overly concerned.  Also Ingram is tall, 6 2 for a CB.  It is going to to take tall CB/S/LBers to match up to Coleman  ( I hope).  Looking at our CB "room" we certainly have averaged way up from the Tre White days whose height was always a  limiting factor imo.

He would never be at the front of the lunch line if  Kelvin Benjamin was still a bill.

Ingram is actually entering his 3rd year of being coached by one of if not the best secondary coach in the league in McD so him getting the better of a 21 year old rookie is not surprising. I think Keon is going to come along slowly but the rookies being behind the vets will not surprise me

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.