Matt Parrino - "Claypool has been most consistent WR during OTAs"

The talent is clearly there. It would be a surprise if Claypool wasn't playing consistently good ball... in OTAs...

The real concern is how long he can maintain that consistency during an entire NFL season.

12 minutes ago, DJB said:

His issue isn’t talent, it’s been attitude and work ethic. I loved him coming out of ND at the time when others didn’t. 

Hopefully he’s fixed it between the ears and we have something 

Yea, I mentioned that in an earlier post in the thread.  His stats in the league shows he can play.  He needs to have the right coaching/support/attitude to get back to what he can be - a solid #3/2 with deep threat

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Brand J said:

I’m a Keon Coleman fan, I loved his highlight video more than most of the receivers coming out. With that said, Parrino also mentioned Jamarcus Ingram was holding his own with Coleman, even had the defensive sideline hooting and hollering. I wasn’t bothered when I heard Elam was getting the better of him on some reps, but now Jamarcus Ingram? Hmmm…

It's early.  Coleman is not especially fast, so he has to use other things to get open.  NFL CBs on average are going to know a lot more technique in countering those tricks.  Coleman is going to have to learn greater subtlety, up his game on fakes, double moves etc.  We can't rule out the possibility he'll bust, but it's way too early for us to be trying to etch out his future in stone.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Coleman

Shakir

Samuel

MVS

Claypool

Hollins 

That's my 6 for the roster.  

My brother the Vikes fan gave it 4 years before Diggs would make his way out of Buffalo.  

This bad ending was the most predictable thing about Diggs.  He became a dink and dunker.  His YAC would never again go over 4 and his YBC went as low as 7.3.  Took a billion targets to get over 1100 yards.

Hardly the King of Separation.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

I just cancelled the package after this news. And added the WNBA package for $1. 

Honestly that price is still too much. They should have to pay me to watch that 

• Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I thought the same. Does it mean he has really shone, or is it an indictment on others? We know Keon has had some struggles, which is probably to be expected, but Shakir? Samuel? 

Claypool is probably the most talented out of the bunch so no one should be surprised that he outperforms anyone we got on that field ,  there’s no doubt he’s more then capable of putting the kind of numbers like in his rookie year , the only question here is will he continue to stay committed and become the player that Steelers we’re hoping for when they drafted him ?  He’s in the best situation to make that happen and probably his last chance as well and he knows that , 

im rooting for him to turn his career and his life around !! 

Edited by Putin
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Also, what does it even mean?

The most consistent in catching the ball? Most consistent in getting seperation? Most consistent in route running? Most consistent in ALL of this (that would be scary).

Most consistently terrible?

Posted (edited)

Claypool is the ultimate low risk high reward type player. He's very clearly talented. He produced back to back 800 yard seasons to start his career. He bounced around to 3 teams in 2 years and is now on his 4th team on a minimum contract. The issue isn't injury as he hasn't had a major injury. The issue wasn't supporting cast at least in Miami as in Miami he had two very good WR's to take attention away and while we ***** on Tua a lot he's at least an above average QB. He just got a lot to work on in between his ears where he just hasn't been 100% there. 

Hopefully looking at his 4th team in effectively just over 2 years and on a minimum contract in as good a situation to get snaps and targets from a top NFL QB as he's ever he's going to get (the Bills don't have any reason to place vets in front of him if Claypool shows out) realizes that he has to put it together now or that is really the end of his NFL career to be anything meaningful. 

I have very very low expectations for Claypool but the recipe for a bounce back for him is there. 

Edited by billsfan89
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

49 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

I always felt Claypool had the talent, just not the consistency in effort.  You dont just magically have two 850 yard seasons if you can't at least hang in the league.

That's my thought process too. It's not that I expect him to become a superstar for us. It would just be nice to have a legit starting outside WR on the roster because as of right now we have ZERO proven players in that spot if not Claypool.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

It's early.  Coleman is not especially fast, so he has to use other things to get open.  NFL CBs on average are going to know a lot more technique in countering those tricks.  Coleman is going to have to learn greater subtlety, up his game on fakes, double moves etc.  We can't rule out the possibility he'll bust, but it's way too early for us to be trying to etch out his future in stone.

Yeah, that’s what I said when I heard Elam was getting the better of him: it’s way too early to arrive to any definitive conclusion. Elam was a former 1st round pick and has a high athletic ceiling, I wasn’t overly concerned Coleman was struggling against him in his first NFL camp. But bottom of the roster Jamarcus Ingram? Coleman doesn’t have to come in setting the world on fire, or looking the part right off the bat, but as your top WR selected you’d hope he already had the skill to toy with a practice squad CB. 

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Putin said:

Claypool is probably the most talented out of the bunch so no one should be surprised that he outperforms anyone we got on that field ,  there’s no doubt he’s more then capable of putting the kind of numbers like in his rookie year , the only question here is will he continue to stay committed and become the player that Steelers we’re hoping for when they drafted him ?  He’s in the best situation to make that happen and probably his last chance as well and he knows that , 

im rooting for him to turn his career and his life around !! 

As for as pure talent and potential...this is the best WR room we have had in a long while.

Now will it live up to that talent, who knows?  I pray it does.

Edited by SoonerBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Josh Allen will be the best QB he has had in his career, and the best QB since Big Ben in Pittsburgh where he had his best seasons. If having the chance to play with a great QB like Josh Allen isn't motivation enough to turn your career around, I don't know what would be.

Chase Claypool has 116 catches for 1632 yards and has scored 12 touchdowns in 30 games with Ben Roethlisberger in his career.

Edited by Special K
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Brand J said:

Yeah, that’s what I said when I heard Elam was getting the better of him: it’s way too early to arrive to any definitive conclusion. Elam was a former 1st round pick and has a high athletic ceiling, I wasn’t overly concerned Coleman was struggling against him in his first NFL camp. But bottom of the roster Jamarcus Ingram? Coleman doesn’t have to come in setting the world on fire, or looking the part right off the bat, but as your top WR selected you’d hope he already had the skill to toy with a practice squad CB. 

Elam is the teams most athletic corner and he is entering his third year so him getting the best of a rookie is not surprising. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Special K said:

Josh Allen will be the best QB he has had in his career, and the best QB since Big Ben in Pittsburgh where he had his best seasons. If having the chance to play with a great QB like Josh Allen isn't motivation enough to turn your career around, I don't know what would be.

Agree 100% 

Even in Pittsburgh Big Ben was already at the end of his career and his arm was shot 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

is that good or bad

That was my first thought. This is either great news or panic button news 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Well....Bills traded for Diggs--and held onto him until they inevitably got tired of his predictable behavioral BS.

Also had a deal in place for Antonio Brown. Beane will swing for the fences when he feels its a good move

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

is that good or bad

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I thought the same. Does it mean he has really shone, or is it an indictment on others? We know Keon has had some struggles, which is probably to be expected, but Shakir? Samuel? 

The vibe I am getting is that Claypool will be a guy that will have to prove himself all camp. I think they are purposefully putting him with the 2's and will keep him there all the way through camp and force him to compete and work everyday. 

He is likely getting a ton of positive reinforcement, "A lot of talent. You can ball" and then when it comes time for drills the staff goes "oh by the way, not good enough, you are with Mitch" I they can get him rolling in a way where he is putting in work, seeing results, putting in more work, seeing more results, momentum is a dangerous thing in sports. Getting CC back on track would be a phenomenal addition to the roster. 

That said, he is probably seeing a lot of favorable matchups at the moment. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brand J said:

I’m a Keon Coleman fan, I loved his highlight video more than most of the receivers coming out. With that said, Parrino also mentioned Jamarcus Ingram was holding his own with Coleman, even had the defensive sideline hooting and hollering. I wasn’t bothered when I heard Elam was getting the better of him on some reps, but now Jamarcus Ingram? Hmmm…

I agree with all you wrote, I as well am a big Coleman fan but keep in mind Ingram has a year of experience and is 5 years older so I am not overly concerned.  Also Ingram is tall, 6 2 for a CB.  It is going to to take tall CB/S/LBers to match up to Coleman  ( I hope).  Looking at our CB "room" we certainly have averaged way up from the Tre White days whose height was always a  limiting factor imo.

16 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Most consistent at getting to the front of the lunch line?

He would never be at the front of the lunch line if  Kelvin Benjamin was still a bill.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.